Does free will exist?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-05-2016, 08:11 AM
RE: Does free will exist?
(10-05-2016 07:44 AM)Dom Wrote:  
(10-05-2016 06:44 AM)Matt Finney Wrote:  Which is more barbaric, death penalty, or life in prison?

Dom, for example, would choose death over life imprisonment? She perhaps sees death as a lesser punishment. On what basis do you decide that death penalty is more barbaric (worse punishment)?

There is no objective answer to this, it's subjective.

There's that pesky free will sneaking back in...Smile
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
10-05-2016, 08:16 AM
(10-05-2016 07:15 AM)ClydeLee Wrote:  Do you need a reason besides the one of evidence showcasing that it's not often actually effective at getting reliably true information?

Ask Commodus or Caracalla.

'tis a slippery slope which leads to.....

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
10-05-2016, 09:00 AM
(10-05-2016 08:11 AM)skyking Wrote:  
(10-05-2016 07:44 AM)Dom Wrote:  There is no objective answer to this, it's subjective.

There's that pesky free will sneaking back in...Smile

Not really, my attitude towards life and death is predetermined by the strength of my instinct for survival and countless life experiences.

Giving me a choice of life in prison or death is just allowing me to be me.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 2 users Like Dom's post
10-05-2016, 12:50 PM
(10-05-2016 12:58 AM)morondog Wrote:  If you want to kill them, by what right will you do it?
Don' really understand what is meant by "rights".
I'm not a righteous crusader. It isn't my job to reward the righteous and punish the unrighteous.

All that I care about is that I, and my loved ones are safe. If there is a danger, I want that danger removed. Next I am concerned about the cost (to myself) in removing that danger. If life imprisonment cost X and death penalty cost Y and X > Y then I want Y. Simple math.
10-05-2016, 12:54 PM
(10-05-2016 05:37 AM)Matt Finney Wrote:  Why not make someone like Osama suffer? Why not torture someone like him in order to extract information that might be able to prevent future attacks?
I am not satan, it isn't my job to torture "moral" transgressors.
Why would I be bothered about Osama, as long as he is no longer a threat?

I have heard that information gained from torture, is often very unreliable.
[+] 1 user Likes Stevil's post
10-05-2016, 12:57 PM
(10-05-2016 12:50 PM)Stevil Wrote:  
(10-05-2016 12:58 AM)morondog Wrote:  If you want to kill them, by what right will you do it?
Don' really understand what is meant by "rights".
I'm not a righteous crusader. It isn't my job to reward the righteous and punish the unrighteous.

All that I care about is that I, and my loved ones are safe. If there is a danger, I want that danger removed. Next I am concerned about the cost (to myself) in removing that danger. If life imprisonment cost X and death penalty cost Y and X > Y then I want Y. Simple math.

Alright, so if I am elected president and decide you and your loved ones should be killed 'cos it's cheaper, then it's fine right? After all cost is the driving factor. And it'll be done in a perfectly safe-for-society manner and orderly fashion.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
10-05-2016, 03:22 PM
Not everyone gets a choice when it comes to free will, some people do whatever the fuck they want and have no problem, but others are forced against their own will to do what they don't want to do. And christians claim that the reason, only god knows. It's all bullshit! Then they blame the evil doers and or the ancestors or those who are forced to do things against their will. One makes the mistakes and the other pays for the consequences. They blame it on the law of karma and or law of attraction. But it is all unfair, so this definitely proves that free will is just bullshit to make man feel guilty even for things their ancestors did.
10-05-2016, 03:26 PM
(10-05-2016 12:57 PM)morondog Wrote:  
(10-05-2016 12:50 PM)Stevil Wrote:  Don' really understand what is meant by "rights".

Alright, so if I am elected president and decide you and your loved ones should be killed 'cos it's cheaper, then it's fine right? After all cost is the driving factor. And it'll be done in a perfectly safe-for-society manner and orderly fashion.
Firstly, thankfully I live in a country where we don't have a president, Your authority will not reach me. Whew!

Secondly, why am I a threat to public safety?
I would vote for a legal system where we have to prove that a person is a threat to public safety before locking them up or putting them down.
10-05-2016, 03:40 PM
(10-05-2016 03:22 PM)smileyjose86 Wrote:  Not everyone gets a choice when it comes to free will, some people do whatever the fuck they want and have no problem, but others are forced against their own will to do what they don't want to do. And christians claim that the reason, only god knows. It's all bullshit! Then they blame the evil doers and or the ancestors or those who are forced to do things against their will. One makes the mistakes and the other pays for the consequences. They blame it on the law of karma and or law of attraction. But it is all unfair, so this definitely proves that free will is just bullshit to make man feel guilty even for things their ancestors did.

[Image: Aj758JZ.gif]

Don't Live each day like it's your last. Live each day like you have 541 days after that one where every choice you make will have lasting implications to you and the world around you. ~ Tim Minchin
10-05-2016, 03:45 PM

Don't Live each day like it's your last. Live each day like you have 541 days after that one where every choice you make will have lasting implications to you and the world around you. ~ Tim Minchin
[+] 1 user Likes Commonsensei's post