Does god have to be good?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
31-08-2014, 03:14 PM
Does god have to be good?
I am an atheist but I've recently been thinking after reading many many other peoples arguments; Does god HAVE to be good for it's existence to be plausible?

I ask this because one of the main atheist arguments I witness is that the god of the Quran or the Old Testament/Tanak is a malevolent, capricious cunt of a warlord... the logic seems to cut off there and finish with a "therefore he does not exist".

Obviously the arguments are against the representatives of god and if they claim to be good people with superior morals because of an infinitely good deity, while their scripture contradicts these claims, then they are mistaken about their god OR their god is non-existent.

I write this to read other peoples thoughts on the issue. Could it be that god is both ultimately evil and ultimately good and therefore some things are beyond good and evil? (To cheaply borrow the phrase from F.N). That the religious people are simply mistaken fools?

Either way I still think that even if god exists and these religious nuts are just mistaken and are as unknowing as the rest of us, then there is no evidence for his existence either way therefore I have no belief in him.

I think I may be very vague on this subject.. Let me know if you wish for me to narrow down on a point. If any body with a philosophical education care to help me out here I would appreciate it. Thanks.

Saints live in flames; wise men, next to them.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
31-08-2014, 03:17 PM
RE: Does god have to be good?
(31-08-2014 03:14 PM)SunnyD1 Wrote:  I am an atheist but I've recently been thinking after reading many many other peoples arguments; Does god HAVE to be good for it's existence to be plausible?

I ask this because one of the main atheist arguments I witness is that the god of the Quran or the Old Testament/Tanak is a malevolent, capricious cunt of a warlord... the logic seems to cut off there and finish with a "therefore he does not exist".

Obviously the arguments are against the representatives of god and if they claim to be good people with superior morals because of an infinitely good deity, while their scripture contradicts these claims, then they are mistaken about their god OR their god is non-existent.

I write this to read other peoples thoughts on the issue. Could it be that god is both ultimately evil and ultimately good and therefore some things are beyond good and evil? (To cheaply borrow the phrase from F.N). That the religious people are simply mistaken fools?

Either way I still think that even if god exists and these religious nuts are just mistaken and are as unknowing as the rest of us, then there is no evidence for his existence either way therefore I have no belief in him.

I think I may be very vague on this subject.. Let me know if you wish for me to narrow down on a point. If any body with a philosophical education care to help me out here I would appreciate it. Thanks.

Given the evidence of the world around us, the only conceivable god is not benevolent; and if not actually malevolent, has a twisted sense of humor.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
31-08-2014, 03:25 PM
(31-08-2014 03:14 PM)SunnyD1 Wrote:  I am an atheist but I've recently been thinking after reading many many other peoples arguments; Does god HAVE to be good for it's existence to be plausible?

I think more people use that argument to advance an antitheist position rather than an atheist one - certainly an anti-religion stance...

"Name me a moral statement made or moral action performed that could not have been made or done, by a non-believer..." - Christopher Hitchens

My youtube musings: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfFoxbz...UVi1pf4B5g
[+] 1 user Likes CiderThinker's post
31-08-2014, 03:36 PM (This post was last modified: 31-08-2014 03:54 PM by One Above All.)
No; a god does not have to be good, but it's definitely a necessary trait in order to be worthy of worship. At least IMO.

The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
[+] 1 user Likes One Above All's post
31-08-2014, 03:46 PM
God is good because God creates good.

Truth seeker.
31-08-2014, 03:49 PM
(31-08-2014 03:46 PM)diddo97 Wrote:  God is good because God creates good.

Isaiah 45:7 Wrote:I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things.

Drinking Beverage

The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
[+] 8 users Like One Above All's post
31-08-2014, 03:51 PM
Nope. God doesn't have to be good. He's free to be as shitty as people imagine him to be.

Taaadaaa

When I want your opinion I'll read your entrails.
31-08-2014, 03:54 PM
Fuck I'm gonna have to tell the witch doctor the garbage collector is acting up again.

#sigh
31-08-2014, 03:55 PM
(31-08-2014 03:51 PM)WitchSabrina Wrote:  Nope. God doesn't have to be good. He's free to be as shitty as people imagine him to be.

Taaadaaa

Without God, there could not be good. (or anything else)

Truth seeker.
31-08-2014, 03:56 PM
(31-08-2014 03:49 PM)One Above All Wrote:  
(31-08-2014 03:46 PM)diddo97 Wrote:  God is good because God creates good.

Isaiah 45:7 Wrote:I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things.

Drinking Beverage

Well, yeah but....

We can't judge god with out inferior, god-made morality.
Or some such.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.