Does god have to be good?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
31-08-2014, 03:59 PM (This post was last modified: 31-08-2014 04:11 PM by GirlyMan.)
RE: Does god have to be good?
(31-08-2014 03:55 PM)diddo97 Wrote:  Without God, there could not be good. (or anything else)

You give me too much credit. I find it quite embarrassing and fawning and wish you would stop.

#sigh
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like GirlyMan's post
31-08-2014, 04:00 PM
(31-08-2014 03:56 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  Well, yeah but....

We can't judge god with out inferior, god-made morality.
Or some such.

In which case it helps that it's god speaking about his own actions. Wink

The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
31-08-2014, 04:07 PM
(31-08-2014 03:46 PM)diddo97 Wrote:  God is good because God creates good.

Just be happy your flavor of God doesn't exist because if you were to be right and it were to exist it is one evil and cruel motherfucker.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 2 users Like Full Circle's post
31-08-2014, 04:10 PM (This post was last modified: 31-08-2014 04:25 PM by Baruch.)
(31-08-2014 03:49 PM)One Above All Wrote:  
(31-08-2014 03:46 PM)diddo97 Wrote:  God is good because God creates good.

Isaiah 45:7 Wrote:I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things.

Drinking Beverage

Excellent point.
I am an expert in Hebrew scriptures & you cannot fool me. Studied the stuff for a decade and used to teach it.
יוֹצֵר אוֹר וּבוֹרֵא חֹשֶׁךְ, עֹשֶׂה שָׁלוֹם וּבוֹרֵא רָע; אֲנִי יְהוָה, עֹשֶׂה כָל-אֵלֶּה.

It is very clear from the verses
וּבוֹרֵא רָע
means CREATES EVIL - there is no other translation plausible.

The same term is used to describe evil numerous times across scriptures created by God.
eg: (there are plenty of examples of God directly bringing evil, not some passive thing)
Jeremiah Chapter 25:29 For, lo, I begin to bring evil on the city whereupon My name is called, and should ye be utterly unpunished? Ye shall not be unpunished; for I will call for a sword upon all the inhabitants of the earth, saith the LORD of hosts.
Jeremiah Chapter 4:6 Set up a standard toward Zion; put yourselves under covert, stay not; for I will bring evil from the north, and a great destruction.

In all the above cases there is no discrimination between those who are guilty and any children or anybody for that matter - everybody is treated the same, not exactly a very Just God.

Some apologist translation use "creates clamity" or "brings misfortune" instead of creates evil:
The Hebrew blatantly does not say that !

In fact the part of Isiah is making a theological point about the unity of God creating everything including evil. This is a polemic against dualistic systems such as Zoroastrianism & many other pagan systems which has some battle between a "good God" and "Evil God" - a very important central part of scripture. This is especially the case here due to theological polemic within the context of Cyrus allowing Israelites to return to Israel and rebuild the temple after the Babylonian conquest.

As it happens if there were two Gods - an evil and good God then there wouldn't be a "problem of natural/human evils" or unintelligent design arguments.
Basically the theology would be sometimes the good God wins and sometimes the Evil God wins and just take your sides.
WHat scripture is saying is that EVERYTHING is from ONE God - including evil, i.e God has complete sovereignty.

So Diddo97 doesn't even understand the scriptures he is supposed to be believing !!! Diddo97 - can you even read Hebrew ?

A wise man proportions his belief to the evidence -
David Hume

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRhOs7rUrS5bRKvWS7clR7...gNs5ZwpVef]
[+] 5 users Like Baruch's post
31-08-2014, 04:36 PM
I can actually go into a lot of depth into why God necessarily must be Good and evil created as a way to enhance the Goodness.

Not sure if I can be bothered because its not like I believe this anymore and I am no longer a theologian but a philosopher.

Naturalism accounts for all the tragic torturous world we live in far better than promises of after lives and mental gymnastics of "theodicy" (Theodicy is the theologians tool kit for explaining how a "Good God" justifies evil in the world - ranging from original sin, free will requirements, Sin/immorality (not original), reincarnation, fallen angels, Satan/Devil, contrast [need to know the bad to appreciate the good]...the list of ad-hoc explanatory gymnastics goes on & on and all have their problems.

Naturalism = evolution leaves a bitch of collateral damage and is impersonal so doesn't give a fuck about you - so simple.

David Hume

31-08-2014, 04:39 PM
(31-08-2014 04:10 PM)Baruch Wrote:  Jeremiah Chapter 4:6 Set up a standard toward Zion; put yourselves under covert, stay not; for I will bring evil from the north, and a great destruction.

[Image: winterIsComing.gif]

#sigh
31-08-2014, 04:44 PM
(31-08-2014 04:39 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(31-08-2014 04:10 PM)Baruch Wrote:  Jeremiah Chapter 4:6 Set up a standard toward Zion; put yourselves under covert, stay not; for I will bring evil from the north, and a great destruction.

[Image: winterIsComing.gif]

I think Isiah has in mind the Assyrian rampage of rape, pillage,forced slavery and destruction of North Israel. (kinda like Hezbollah of the Bronze age)

[Image: elamites_running_like_frightened_goats_zps444aeb7d.jpg]

David Hume

31-08-2014, 05:00 PM
(31-08-2014 04:44 PM)Baruch Wrote:  
(31-08-2014 04:39 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  [Image: winterIsComing.gif]

I think Isiah has in mind the Assyrian rampage of rape, pillage,forced slavery and destruction of North Israel. (kinda like Hezbollah of the Bronze age)

Sounds like Southern PG County back in the day when the Pagans were running the place.

#sigh
31-08-2014, 06:51 PM
(31-08-2014 03:55 PM)diddo97 Wrote:  
(31-08-2014 03:51 PM)WitchSabrina Wrote:  Nope. God doesn't have to be good. He's free to be as shitty as people imagine him to be.

Taaadaaa

Without God, there could not be good. (or anything else)

Without god there is not bad.
31-08-2014, 07:05 PM
(31-08-2014 06:51 PM)Leo Wrote:  
(31-08-2014 03:55 PM)diddo97 Wrote:  Without God, there could not be good. (or anything else)

Without god there is not bad.

shit happens with or without God

[Image: poo-stream-34419.gif]

David Hume

[+] 2 users Like Baruch's post