Does god have to be good?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-09-2014, 12:02 PM (This post was last modified: 02-09-2014 12:23 PM by phil.a.)
RE: Does god have to be good?
Ignoring ideas of god as a bearded man in the clouds (that god does not exist) then from my understanding of the "god" concept, it's a level error to ask the question "is god good?"

That's because "god" actually is Goodness, "god" is Goodness itself.

It's still possible for god within that to "create evil" because "god" is also Beauty and Truth.

Beauty resolves to self-expression and Will, it's about a being's action and presence in the world. It should be obvious that Beauty (as self-expression) and Goodness (as self-sacrifice) form something of a dichotomy, they are kind of opposites.

Well, "evil" is how it looks when someone expresses themselves in a way which lacks goodness. Eg our sexual behaviour is a manifestation of our will and so our Beauty, although if our behaviour lacks goodness then it can be experienced by others as "evil" (e.g. rape as an example).

So - everything is god (even a rapist) although rape lacks goodness so the "evil" aspcet of rape is about a lack of god.

I'm not an expert on christian theology, but as far as I'm aware the triune Beauty, Goodness and Truth nature of god appears in the Christian trinity as:

Beauty (or Will): the holy spirit
Goodness: relationship with the son (jesus)
Truth: the father (the empty space which contains all entities)

Phil
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
02-09-2014, 12:08 PM
The above thinking seems to appear symbolised in Christianity with the idea of satan as the most beautiful angel (Beautiful, not Good)

It's sort of visible in this picture of him - obviously he's quite a hot guy but notice the sense of harshness and cruelty in his face.

[Image: lucifer_by_a11e-d5wu2l0.jpg]
02-09-2014, 12:13 PM
(31-08-2014 03:55 PM)diddo97 Wrote:  
(31-08-2014 03:51 PM)WitchSabrina Wrote:  Nope. God doesn't have to be good. He's free to be as shitty as people imagine him to be.

Taaadaaa

Without God, there could not be good. (or anything else)

I'm sorry your view of your own capabilities is so very narrow.

When I want your opinion I'll read your entrails.
[+] 1 user Likes WitchSabrina's post
02-09-2014, 03:34 PM
(02-09-2014 12:02 PM)phil.a Wrote:  Ignoring ideas of god as a bearded man in the clouds (that god does not exist) then from my understanding of the "god" concept, it's a level error to ask the question "is god good?"

It's still possible for god within that to "create evil" because "god" is also Beauty and Truth.

Beauty resolves to self-expression and Will, it's about a being's action and presence in the world. It should be obvious that Beauty (as self-expression) and Goodness (as self-sacrifice) form something of a dichotomy, they are kind of opposites.

Well, "evil" is how it looks when someone expresses themselves in a way which lacks goodness. Eg our sexual behaviour is a manifestation of our will and so our Beauty, although if our behaviour lacks goodness then it can be experienced by others as "evil" (e.g. rape as an example).

So - everything is god (even a rapist) although rape lacks goodness so the "evil" aspcet of rape is about a lack of god.

I'm not an expert on christian theology, but as far as I'm aware the triune Beauty, Goodness and Truth nature of god appears in the Christian trinity as:

Phil

Well, except that god actually isn't. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
02-09-2014, 06:49 PM
(02-09-2014 03:34 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(02-09-2014 12:02 PM)phil.a Wrote:  Ignoring ideas of god as a bearded man in the clouds (that god does not exist) then from my understanding of the "god" concept, it's a level error to ask the question "is god good?"

Phil

Well, except that god actually isn't. Drinking Beverage

You sound like someone who knows whereof he speaks! Not quite sure how that fits in with this though - perhaps you could explain your position a bit more?

Phil