Does hating stupidity make me a bigot?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-09-2016, 08:57 AM
Does hating stupidity make me a bigot?
I hate stupid people. Well, maybe "hate" might be too strong a word but I have no respect for stupidity and I look down on those who continue to embrace stupidity. Ignorance is one thing, that's not the person's fault...... although sometimes I'm not too thrilled with ignorant people either. Dodgy

Anyway, I'm curious, does this make me a bigot or is hating stupidity kinda stupid in itself?

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
08-09-2016, 09:34 AM
RE: Does hating stupidity make me a bigot?
The right term is prejudice. If you are prejudiced towards them, then you are a bigot in that respect. Empathy, which simply means you can relate to others perspectives, can reduce that kind of thing. Innate stupidity is not a crime.

We have to remember that what we observe is not nature herself, but nature exposed to our method of questioning ~ Werner Heisenberg
[+] 2 users Like tomilay's post
08-09-2016, 09:43 AM
Ignorance - Not knowing.
Difference of opinion - Knowing and choosing a valid path that you disagree with.
Stupidity - Knowing and choosing a hateful path that hurts others.

No, this doesn’t make you a bigot. It makes you someone who opposes bigotry.
08-09-2016, 09:44 AM
I don't hate stupidity but it does frustrate me. Case in point in is my daughter's mother-in-law. I can't figure out how she has managed to make it this far.

My biggest frustration with her is that she doesn't seem to want to learn anything and is content in her bubble of ignorance. But I may be overestimating her. Undecided

I can't take her off my Facebook feed because it would cause hurt feelings and family discontent but she is definitely the person on my feed who most often makes me want to reach through the screen and shake the crap out her.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
08-09-2016, 10:03 AM
I'd argue the opposite, stupidity is innate. A stupid person lacks the potential or ability to absorb knowledge and form educated opinions. Ignorance is being oblivious to the facts. In an age of virtually limitless access to information ignorance is a choice - and to my mind it's perfectly acceptable to form negative opinions of people based on their choices. The two DO go hand in hand though. Some are ignorant BECAUSE they're stupid, and I don't think it's quite fair to judge people on that. But there are plenty of people who are "smart" enough not to be ignorant, but they choose to be because they're too lazy to do their homework and their opinions are based on a lack of understanding. This, especially in a country where the citizens are empowered to select their leaders, is VERY worthy of open contempt.
[+] 4 users Like Mr. Boston's post
08-09-2016, 10:22 AM
(08-09-2016 09:43 AM)Aliza Wrote:  Ignorance - Not knowing.
Difference of opinion - Knowing and choosing a valid path that you disagree with.
Stupidity - Knowing and choosing a hateful path that hurts others.

No, this doesn’t make you a bigot. It makes you someone who opposes bigotry.

One of the many reasons I'm here on TTA is because almost everyone here is smart!Smartass If you guys were a bunch of idiots I'd have departed long ago.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 3 users Like dancefortwo's post
08-09-2016, 10:41 AM
The doctor sees all the weakness of mankind; the lawyer all the wickedness, the theologian all the stupidity.

Arthur Schopenhauer

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
[+] 1 user Likes SYZ's post
08-09-2016, 10:57 AM
(08-09-2016 10:41 AM)SYZ Wrote:  The doctor sees all the weakness of mankind; the lawyer all the wickedness, the theologian all the stupidity.

Arthur Schopenhauer

= $ € £ ¥ kerching!

Drinking Beverage

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
08-09-2016, 11:06 AM
I have to admit to being a bit feel, er, not exactly confused but...

A friend has a sort of handyman, Rob, in to do the gardening jugs she cannot now managed. He drives, reads OK, can do basic maths but needs every job explained step by step in detail. And then he often gets it wrong somewhere. He might be thought stupid but he is just a few chips short of a full bag. Not his fault, he possibly got dealt a bum genetic hand. He is otherwise a reliable, honest nice bloke.

Then there is the person in the busy supermarket checkout sho indists on carrying out a meaningless conversation with the operator then searching for every last penny to give the exact amount to the cashier, to szve her having to maje change. But the cashier then has to count the money to ensure she enters the correct sum . . . Then the perdon actually starts putting the stuff in her bags, having stood doing nothing whilst the cahier was zapping the items.

The one minute checkout has now taken three. Not a lot, unless you are waiting with your two items and the cash/card in you hand ready for giving to the cashier or sticking in the card reader. Seems ages!

There us no point in me bring annoyed by Rob, but I would dearly love to shake the person in the second case!

Perhaps it is "thoughtlessness" that really riles me.

Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
08-09-2016, 11:18 AM
When you set your sights low, and settle for even less -- you get what you deserve.

If somebody embraces stupidity - they shouldn't be too surprised when nobody wants to be friends with them.

Life is too short to put up with stupid.

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post