Does hating stupidity make me a bigot?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-09-2016, 11:25 AM
RE: Does hating stupidity make me a bigot?
I don't see the point of hating something. Disliking is enough for me. Tongue

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
08-09-2016, 11:33 AM
I can't stand stupid people which may explain why I have so few friends.... That suits me just fine. Tongue

“The first duty of a man is to think for himself” ― José Martí
08-09-2016, 11:58 AM
In the age of freely and easily available information stupidity is a choice so I don't think that you're bigot.

For what it is worth I too feel contempt for fools.

Wysłane z mojego 6045K przy użyciu Tapatalka

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
08-09-2016, 12:05 PM
Hating stupidity or hating stupid people?

Hating stupid people might be bigoted since it is genetic and isn't their fault; it can be hard to deal with though

Hating ignorant people may also be bigoted since they may just have never been exposed to the knowledge; that can be cured

Hating willfully ignorant people is just and righteous

Big Grin

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
08-09-2016, 12:14 PM
I don't hate stupid people. If someone is truly stupid, then it is usually not their fault. You could say that it is a very low intelligence that someone has and one way to address such a person would be by saying that they are stupid. And honestly, we are all stupid in one way or another. We all have our limits. In my case for example it is everything maths. I just cannot do it and once I had an intelligence test where in that section of maths I received an IQ of 65.
If I were to hate someone who is stupid, I would have to hate myself too. It doesn't make sense to me. Hate is a really strong emotion in my book and it doesn't fit for something like stupidity.
Yes I can be annoyed or impatient when I explain something 10 times and that person still doesn't understand. But that would really the biggest feeling I could get there.

But you know what I do hate? People who used to be ignorant on a topic, now they know better but they still choose the old position that was incorrect or bad.
Willful ignorance does a lot of harm and if someone chooses that path, I really dislike it to a level that could be described as hate.
Willful ignorance is destructive and often includes sadism (I think I saw too much bad shit in my life) and it drags humanity down when we could be so advanced by now. All those actually gifted and smart people who choose to do evil things instead of helping humanity evolve... It is such a shame.

Yea well, done. Cheers

"Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2=4" - George Orwell (in 1984)
08-09-2016, 12:16 PM
(08-09-2016 12:05 PM)unfogged Wrote:  Hating stupidity or hating stupid people?

Hating stupid people might be bigoted since it is genetic and isn't their fault; it can be hard to deal with though

Hating ignorant people may also be bigoted since they may just have never been exposed to the knowledge; that can be cured

Hating willfully ignorant people is just and righteous

Big Grin

I think it's the willfully ignorant people I really dislike the most and those with no curiosity. How can you go through life and not wonder about stuff? Without curiosity and asking questions we would still be in caves. We would never have left Africa. It's one of the hallmarks of being human, our curiosity. What's over the next hill? Where does this river end? What is the sun made of? Questioning stuff is what makes us smart and people who don't question anything remain stupid and I really get pissed at people like that.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 2 users Like dancefortwo's post
08-09-2016, 12:19 PM
I don't think it makes you a bigot if it is something they can't control, then yeah it would be bigoted to judge them so harshly but that's not really the case here. I agree with others who have pointed out when someone has access to information and if they lack understanding of a subject and belligerently talk about it like they are some kind of expert, it's totally understandable to hold those people in contempt.

I often find myself speaking to people who have never studied a subject yet act like they know how they feel about it but really they were told what to think by someone else. Maybe it was their pastor at church, a talking head on TV, their parents, etc. They never took the time to just go out and read about it themselves using non biases sources. Just start questioning them and they will come back with "Uhhh...ummm...yeah well why do you think that way!?" Well because I've actually studied these issues so that's why I formed my own opinion.

It's like talking to a parrot, they just know how to repeat, not to think or reason or feel for themselves. If they didn't do it, they would feel scared and unsure so they need to find someone to agree with or they are lost. I don't pity these people, I don't hate them either but I do hate the system that has created so many like them, we just don't value intelligence enough in our society.

[Image: sagansig_zps6vhbql6m.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes SitaSky's post
08-09-2016, 12:35 PM
We automatically dismiss things we don't believe or things that are irrational . It's natural. What we can change though is how we react to them as there are always gonna be stupid people.

Maybe there is a lesson here? Why react this way, what triggers this? Can you do things differently?

I feel so much, and yet I feel nothing.
I am a rock, I am the sky, the birds and the trees and everything beyond.
I am the wind, in the fields in which I roar. I am the water, in which I drown.
08-09-2016, 12:46 PM
(08-09-2016 10:57 AM)DLJ Wrote:  
(08-09-2016 10:41 AM)SYZ Wrote:  The doctor sees all the weakness of mankind; the lawyer all the wickedness, the theologian all the stupidity.

Arthur Schopenhauer

= $ € £ ¥ CHUrching!

Drinking Beverage

FTFY
Big Grin
[+] 1 user Likes Fireball's post
08-09-2016, 01:03 PM
I hate people who are ignorant, not stupid. For example the denial of scientific fact has become quite common the past few years. Emotion seems to champion reason & logic. These people I really hate because any discussion with them is a dead end and they're usually arrogant like conspiracy theorists, quickly resort to "sheeple" and "brainwashed by the media" name calling.

I pride myself on my open mindedness and often change my mind on a topic as I'm writing a comment out about it, which is why I hardly post on here in comparison to how long I've been on here Tongue I also think awareness of ones own open-mindedness is kind of arrogant and to be held in contempt, which is also why I loathe myself!

Saints live in flames; wise men, next to them.