Does it make you cringe?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-11-2014, 03:01 PM
Does it make you cringe?
I want to be upfront and state I am 100 percent a science guy, I believe in the scientific method and I trust a scientist with my life over any clergy.

Did you read where some are questioning the validity of the Higgs Boson being discovered? There's a paper published that is saying the particle found at CERN may in fact be another new particle and not the HB everyone had been anticipating.

Now, as a science lover, this is great because it means we are still questioning, still learning, finding out more about particles, etc. But as an atheist who defends science till the end, it just means more bullshit to have to defend to theists, who will use this as a, "See? Science is wishy-washy. First they found the Higgs, now they didn't. How can you rely on anything science says?" argument. Yada, yada, yada.

Of course I know how to defend it and make them feel stupid, but am I the only one who cringes when science releases a discovery and then recants its story later because of more evidence? Believe me, I understand the process and am happy when science continues to prove itself wrong, but I can just hear the comments from the sheeple.

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
12-11-2014, 03:06 PM
RE: Does it make you cringe?
I saw a link to an article about that, but I've not read any articles about the possible anti-discovery... undiscovery?

This will surely fuel anti-science comments, but it also provides us with an opportunity, methinks.

"See? Science is wishy-washy. First they found the Higgs, now they didn't. How can you rely on anything science says?"
"Yeah, it's awesome isn't it? Even the god particle might not exist!"

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Free Thought's post
12-11-2014, 03:08 PM
I like it. It only strengthens science to continually self-check. If someone thinks that's a weakness, especially one that believes in invisible sky fairies with zero evidence at all, I have no time or patience or desire to explain to them why this is something important to do, to make sure we're seeing what we think we're seeing.
[+] 2 users Like photon9's post
12-11-2014, 03:15 PM
(12-11-2014 03:01 PM)WillHopp Wrote:  I want to be upfront and state I am 100 percent a science guy, I believe in the scientific method and I trust a scientist with my life over any clergy.

Did you read where some are questioning the validity of the Higgs Boson being discovered? There's a paper published that is saying the particle found at CERN may in fact be another new particle and not the HB everyone had been anticipating.

Now, as a science lover, this is great because it means we are still questioning, still learning, finding out more about particles, etc. But as an atheist who defends science till the end, it just means more bullshit to have to defend to theists, who will use this as a, "See? Science is wishy-washy. First they found the Higgs, now they didn't. How can you rely on anything science says?" argument. Yada, yada, yada.

Of course I know how to defend it and make them feel stupid, but am I the only one who cringes when science releases a discovery and then recants its story later because of more evidence? Believe me, I understand the process and am happy when science continues to prove itself wrong, but I can just hear the comments from the sheeple.

Let me cheer you up. From my favorite quotes file:

We are more interested in observing the world and taking our lessons from those observations than debating finer points of scriptures that are probably no more than fables to begin with.
Victor Stenger

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.
Bertrand Russell

Scientific views end in awe and mystery, lost at the edge in uncertainty, but they appear to be so deep and so impressive that the theory that it is all arranged as a stage for God to watch man's struggle for good and evil seems inadequate.
Richard P. Feynman

For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
Carl Sagan

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 5 users Like Full Circle's post
12-11-2014, 05:28 PM
The only thing that ever proves science wrong is more science.
[/quote from somewhere that google doesn't shed any light on]

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
[+] 2 users Like Hafnof's post
12-11-2014, 05:59 PM
Does what make me cringe, a bunch of vaporheads talking out the side of their neck? Nah, that's what they do.

Technicolor Higgs - 'cause you should link something, silly.

living word
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
12-11-2014, 07:06 PM
I thought it was up to some heavy questioning from the beginning of the finding anyway?

But no, when it comes to actual details that argument doesn't bother me anymore with new info or not. Because whatever occurs that mentality will make up some reason to refuse knowledge.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
12-11-2014, 08:51 PM
(12-11-2014 05:59 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  Does what make me cringe, a bunch of vaporheads talking out the side of their neck? Nah, that's what they do.

Technicolor Higgs - 'cause you should link something, silly.

Thanks HOC, it just came to me and I didn't find the link.

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me