Does it matter if an Atheist doesn't fully understand evolution?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-11-2010, 02:56 PM

Does it matter if an Atheist doesn't fully understand evolution?
If an atheist is atheist by philosophy alone, do you think he/she is not a proper atheist? e.g. Someone isn't educated on evolution, but is atheist because they don't believe that religion is right.
Quote this message in a reply
14-11-2010, 03:15 PM
RE: Does it matter if an Atheist doesn't fully understand evolution?
Yes I'd say so.
just 1 question. how can someone be a non-philosophical atheist?

Hey brother christian, with your high and mighty errand, your actions speak so loud, I can't hear a word you're saying.

"This machine kills fascists..."

"Well this machine kills commies!"
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
14-11-2010, 03:25 PM
There were atheists before there was a theory of evolution.
14-11-2010, 04:13 PM
I've never heard the term "proper atheist" before. To me that sounds kind of silly. There is no difinitive characteristics one must meet to be an atheist aside from not believeing in god. There are even atheists who reject evolution. They are fools, but they exist none the less.
Now not believing religion is right doesn't nescessarily make you an atheist either. I've known many people who reject religion, but still believe in some kind of sky daddy. Religion and belief in a diety don't mean the same thing.

So many cats, so few good recipes.
14-11-2010, 04:24 PM
That question comes with the common incorrect assumption that atheists worship science as "their god." The only stipulation to carrying the label of atheist is a lack of belief that any god(s) exist, through lack of proof or any reason of your own. You can just be a sane person who saw the talking snake in the tree or the story of Noah or the virgin birth or recognized the stories as a collaboration of older pagan gods and simply dismissed the silly notion like a rational human being.

There are many reasons and speculations that all lead to the belief that "there is no reason to believe that any of the gods throughout history exist."

"Ain't got no last words to say, yellow streak right up my spine. The gun in my mouth was real and the taste blew my mind."

"We see you cry. We turn your head. Then we slap your face. We see you try. We see you fail. Some things never change."
14-11-2010, 05:57 PM
Atheism can be a position of ignorance... after all we're all born atheist/ not knowing about theism and have no stance on it. There may be many people in the world that have never been presented with the idea. There may be many people who have never actually understood theism. All of these are default atheist
14-11-2010, 07:38 PM
No there's no obligation to understand evolution if you are an atheist.
But it's fucking interesting, so why not learn about it.

http://www.youtube.com/user/MindprowlerMusic
14-11-2010, 08:00 PM
(14-11-2010 03:25 PM)gamutman Wrote:  There were atheists before there was a theory of evolution.

There were also Atheists before there was religion. Smile This question really sounds uninformed as to what constitutes an Atheist. (Hint: It's simpler then your thinking way way simpler.)

Just for the Heck of it here's a great course on evolution free of charge by Berkley university.

http://evolution.berkeley.edu/evosite/ev...ntro.shtml
15-11-2010, 08:27 AM
(14-11-2010 05:57 PM)fr0d0 Wrote:  Atheism can be a position of ignorance... after all we're all born atheist/ not knowing about theism and have no stance on it. There may be many people in the world that have never been presented with the idea. There may be many people who have never actually understood theism. All of these are default atheist

This is an incredible insight, Fr0d0 and the strongest argument against theism and belief in God in general. Explain to me, please, that if there is an all knowing, all seeing God who offers us eternal salvation but only if we accept Him then how can it be that he would go to such great lengths to hide His existence from us? Are people born in places that don't have the bible and never heard of Jesus destined to eternal damnation simply because they have no access to a bible? What if they, by coincidence, live their lives by all the codes and morals that He has set forth, but without ever paying homage to Him and accepting Jesus as their savior? Are they still damned? And, if they are not, then what is the point of accepting God and Jesus (or Allah, or any of the supposed deities?).

You are exactly right that we are all born atheists and then many of us adopt the religion that is offered to us and taught to us as "the" one. So, it then stands to reason that if none were offered by our parents or our community, we would have on belief in God at all. Would that damn us all? And, if God is all knowing and all loving how can He allow that to happen? At what point does he make his presence known? Even faith requires you are aware of something to have faith in, does it not?

Oh, just to stay on topic, atheism does not require knowledge of evolution or any other kind of science. Many atheists come to that position through science but it is not required. I'm certainly no expert in biology or evolutionary study. I know the basics, but not much beyond that.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
15-11-2010, 11:05 AM
Just pointing out something ridiculous. Not knowing ANYTHING is the default position at birth. Not being able to use language is the default position. Not knowing how to take a dump in the toilet is the default position.

I bring this up becaue this is not the first time that I've heard the notion that Atheism is the default position.

It's absolutely correct that if a person was raised by wolves that they'd have no belief in God. Neither would they be able to speak (unless you thought Nell was compelling evidence to the contrary. If so, "hay lay bo chickipay."). But fortunately, up until recently, religion was a universal trait among human societies. So the default for tens of thousands of years was actually that humans were taught some sort of spiritual understanding (Animism for most of our history but also Shamanism, Polytheism, Monotheism, Pantheism, Deism...). Even today, Atheist children aren't taught NOTHING. They're taught to not believe in God. Any way you slice it, some sort of relationship with and knowledge of God is the default.

Incidentally, if you want to know about what happens when someone doesn't know Jesus and what the solution is, speak to any missionary.

Also, the Christian God DID reveal himself according the the Catholics at least.

Peace and Love and Empathy,

Matt