Does it matter if an Atheist doesn't fully understand evolution?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-11-2010, 01:32 PM

RE: Does it matter if an Atheist doesn't fully understand evolution?
(23-11-2010 11:20 AM)fr0d0 Wrote:  Something observed in humans is the propensity to develop some spiritual understanding. Those with an agenda call this the God spot.

I recommend you look at this-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nN3ggRgY7Ac

And BnW, I see what you are saying and I agree, or at least I don't understand why God wouldn't do that, since it would eliminate a lot of trouble. A theist's response would of course then be that God wants you to discover him for yourself, and other free will bullshit.
Quote this message in a reply
23-11-2010, 01:51 PM
Quote:A theist's response would of course then be that God wants you to discover him for yourself, and other free will bullshit.

Probably, and, to be fair, there is no way to say that statement is not true. My previous statement is just a supposition on my part. However, going back to the Sam Harris example that I paraphrased previously where a virus wipes out all of mankind's knowledge except for language and the ability to read, and you start to wonder when religion would be "discovered" again and where it would fit in the priority list. Again, the answer is nothing but speculation, but I've got a very strong opinion on how things would play out, as I'm sure you do as well.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
23-11-2010, 02:48 PM

I'd assume that, coupled with access to modern technology, it would never be "discovered" at all. After all, religion was just an explanation for existence before a true explanation could be found.
Quote this message in a reply
23-11-2010, 11:58 PM
Consider the possibility that religion would start no later than the first realization that religion is a good way to build power and wealth.
24-11-2010, 12:36 AM
Power and wealth are the antithesis to religion, and what takes it over.
24-11-2010, 01:08 AM
You really haven't been paying any attention at all.
24-11-2010, 01:08 AM
Hey, Truth Addict.

Quote:The problem is, that ignorance is often exploited by the introduction of religion when it is most believable (when you are ignorant).

Eeeeeeeeeee.... yeah. I'm just gonna distance myself from that one.

Hey, BnW.

Eeeeeeeeee.... yeah. There's a line between genetic traits and memetic traits that you muddied up there. So, objection noted and objection disagreed with.

Also, your proposition that humans SHOULD know God is supposition. You recognise that yourself. I'm just pointing it out because you're using supposition as a rational argument against another position. 'X doesn't make sense because of this thing I just made up' sort of thing. Just sayin.

In terms of the religions that pertains to (the monotheistic ones: I think Animists do recognise God in everything), they say that you have to willingly choose to know God and that that is the point.

As for Sam Harris, maybe religion wouldn't be discovered again (I'm down with hypotheticals). But just because it wouldn't be discovered doesn't mean there's no God. Just sayin.

Peace and Love and Empathy,

Matt
24-11-2010, 08:09 AM
Quote:I'm just pointing it out because you're using supposition as a rational argument against another position. 'X doesn't make sense because of this thing I just made up' sort of thing. Just sayin.

Two things:
1. Yes, what I said was supposition. I think it's logical supposition, but you are correct that I can't prove it beyond logical argument.
2. Your sentence on 'X doesn't make sense...' is EXACTLY how I feel when anyone tries to argue to me there is proof of a god. Welcome to my world.

24-11-2010, 10:46 AM
Hey, Bnw.

Quote:2. Your sentence on 'X doesn't make sense...' is EXACTLY how I feel when anyone tries to argue to me there is proof of a god. Welcome to my world.

Then, if it's so reprehensible, why are YOU doing it?

Peace and Love and Empathy,

Matt
24-11-2010, 11:03 AM
I didn't say I was doing it. I said that's how I feel. There is a difference between putting forth a logical strawman argument that you acknowledge is not a proved position vs. saying that something is true because you believe it is and that is proof in and of itself. A huge difference, in fact.