Does love exist or can be sustained? Does familiarity breed contempt?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-01-2016, 07:02 AM
RE: Does love exist or can be sustained? Does familiarity breed contempt?
(21-01-2016 06:52 AM)undergroundp Wrote:  It's funny how for MGTOW's, every man who doesn't want to just fuck and go or just doesn't agree with them is a "white knight". Kind of like every kind of conspiracy nutcase calls you a "shill" when you don't agree with them. Talk about an open mind, eh?

Shut up you horrible white knighting harpy Tongue

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like morondog's post
21-01-2016, 07:34 AM
(21-01-2016 06:33 AM)Gilgamesh Wrote:  Did you honestly just say it's easier for men to get away with sexual harassment than women in the US? The way it's worded it looks like you may have meant to posit the opposite.

Yes, it is. Because it's still more socially acceptable to blame the victim. It's still easier for a man to make aggressive and unwanted advances on a woman, and write it off as being her fault for dressing so provocative. We have fucking state representatives fighting against women breastfeeding in public because they don't get carte blanche to then grope those same breasts. Elected officials in the United States have gone on the record arguing this. There are people who don't understand the difference between displaying a boob and accosting one.

[Image: josh-moore-comment.png]

New Hampshire State Representative Josh Moore

Take a wild guess as to the gender of the person asserting their right to accost the breasts of a breastfeeding woman?

But once again, of course this isn't only a problem for women. Social dynamics are complex multi-layered things. Can a man be both sexually harassed, and have that harassment ignored? Yep, and part of that stems back from underlying baseline sexism. If a man is at the receiving end of aggressive and unwanted advances, it can be brushed under the rug with a different litany of excuses; usually involving blaming the victim for their own lack of masculinity for not rising to the occasion and accepting the advances. What, are you gay or something? Don't be such a fag dude! So goes the idiotic chorus, reinforced by the negative perception of being seen as being less aggressive or assertive than the woman (a view that is, in and of itself, inherently sexist). Now, how often can a man find himself at the receiving end of such attention merely by how they dress? I imagine that it is far, far less than any atypically attractive woman dressed in similar fashion.

But no, please tell me again how I'm wrong. Should be illuminating.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes EvolutionKills's post
21-01-2016, 07:38 AM
(21-01-2016 07:02 AM)morondog Wrote:  
(21-01-2016 06:52 AM)undergroundp Wrote:  It's funny how for MGTOW's, every man who doesn't want to just fuck and go or just doesn't agree with them is a "white knight". Kind of like every kind of conspiracy nutcase calls you a "shill" when you don't agree with them. Talk about an open mind, eh?

Shut up you horrible white knighting harpy Tongue

Laugh out load

Men are from Mars, Women are from Venus, morondog's from somewhere else entirely. Big Grin

living word
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 4 users Like houseofcantor's post
21-01-2016, 07:50 AM
(21-01-2016 07:38 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  
(21-01-2016 07:02 AM)morondog Wrote:  Shut up you horrible white knighting harpy Tongue

Laugh out load

Men are from Mars, Women are from Venus, morondog's from somewhere else entirely. Big Grin

Blush

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
21-01-2016, 07:55 AM
I wonder about those here who believe love doesn't exist, as to what sort of love they've afforded to others, and more importantly what sort of love has been afforded to them? Some folks grew up in shitty homes, with shitty parents, who didn't know the next thing about love, and probably never really loved their children. If such children grew up to believe that love doesn't exists, or to take an overtly pessimistic and cynical view of it, that's understandable. I guess the same can be said of children of divorce, or those who are divorced themselves. It seems difficult not to be jaded by such circumstances.

But I think for those who had parents who loved them deeply and unconditionally, friendships, and bonds that exemplify this sort of love, that sacrificial and hard working, willing to do a of myriad petty, unsexy things every day, there can be no doubt of it's reality. It may not be the sort portrayed in a movie, but it's ultimately more profound and meaningful, and difficult to express in words.

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
21-01-2016, 08:28 AM
(21-01-2016 07:38 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  
(21-01-2016 07:02 AM)morondog Wrote:  Shut up you horrible white knighting harpy Tongue

Laugh out load

The doghouse perhaps?
[+] 2 users Like Nishi Karano Kaze's post
21-01-2016, 08:39 AM
(21-01-2016 07:55 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  I wonder about those here who believe love doesn't exist, as to what sort of love they've afforded to others, and more importantly what sort of love has been afforded to them? Some folks grew up in shitty homes, with shitty parents, who didn't know the next thing about love, and probably never really loved their children. If such children grew up to believe that love doesn't exists, or to take an overtly pessimistic and cynical view of it, that's understandable. I guess the same can be said of children of divorce, or those who are divorced themselves. It seems difficult not to be jaded by such circumstances.

But I think for those who had parents who loved them deeply and unconditionally, friendships, and bonds that exemplify this sort of love, that sacrificial and hard working, willing to do a of myriad petty, unsexy things every day, there can be no doubt of it's reality. It may not be the sort portrayed in a movie, but it's ultimately more profound and meaningful, and difficult to express in words.

My parents divorced, I am divorced, and yet I still know and experience love and friendship. So, there's that.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
21-01-2016, 09:17 AM
(21-01-2016 07:55 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  I wonder about those here who believe love doesn't exist, as to what sort of love they've afforded to others, and more importantly what sort of love has been afforded to them? Some folks grew up in shitty homes, with shitty parents, who didn't know the next thing about love, and probably never really loved their children. If such children grew up to believe that love doesn't exists, or to take an overtly pessimistic and cynical view of it, that's understandable. I guess the same can be said of children of divorce, or those who are divorced themselves. It seems difficult not to be jaded by such circumstances.

I guess you're trying to be understanding, but I think that is still kind of a demeaning view. Many kids of narcissistic, unloving/abusive, divorced parents have proved able to have sustained, loving relationships with our spouses, children, and friends.

I know quite a few fuck-ups from "stable" families where everybody else turned out okay, so I don't think nurture is the sole deciding factor in attitudes towards love or emotional stability, as you seem to be implying.
[+] 1 user Likes julep's post
21-01-2016, 09:53 AM
(21-01-2016 05:11 AM)Metazoa Zeke Wrote:  
(21-01-2016 04:58 AM)Gilgamesh Wrote:  What did you hope this arbitrary affirmation to mean to me?

You gotta keep an open mind man. I mean if somebody has a point, you must coincide to it. I mean I think MRA is stupid, but I coincide to the point the courts are biased towards men when it comes to divorce and child custody, I coincide. When a feminist says something similar, I can coincide. You don't debate people to win, ya do it to learn.

The word you are looking for is concede.
[+] 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post
21-01-2016, 10:36 AM
(21-01-2016 06:52 AM)undergroundp Wrote:  You have to choose what you will do in life when you're 16 or 18, which is in no way an appropriate age for making major life decisions.

Yes, women may not choose to be CEO's, yes, it is a choice, but it is not a conscious choice, it is the result of the constant pressure and brain washing by society that dictates what women or men should or shouldn't do. That is a case of sexism in any way you see it and it should be addressed.

Do you have a source for it? I honestly tried looking and the closest I got from this is that it has more economics. http://www.psychologicalscience.org/inde...hoice.html

Is there any psychology papers that I am missing, if so I would like to see it.

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOW_Ioi2wtuPa88FvBmnBgQ my youtube