Does love exist or can be sustained? Does familiarity breed contempt?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-01-2016, 11:42 PM
RE: Does love exist or can be sustained? Does familiarity breed contempt?
(16-01-2016 11:34 PM)Gilgamesh Wrote:  
(16-01-2016 11:12 PM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  You do know 'love' and 'lust' are different, right? Consider

That people can enjoy each other's company and find intellectual and emotional fulfillment in one another, and this can be entirely independent of satiating sexual gratification?

Yes. In this life one often has many friends who mean to one what you described in the second paragraph. Most of these friends wont invoke sexual desire. Still there is endearment, and I don't care if people call this endearment love. However this just creates a typology of love; there is a different type of concept people would also assign the word 'love' to. This other type is what we are talking about here.

As for same-sex pairings: Being able to reproduce and having the drive to are distinct notions. Homosexuals may be subconsciously driven to reproduce with the same sex; it being an impossibility is irrelevant.

Then my point still stands, in that love does exist, and it encompasses a wide range of emotional desires and attachments. Can it include sexual desire? Of course. Can it be deconstructed down to just mating? No, it cannot.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like EvolutionKills's post
16-01-2016, 11:53 PM
(16-01-2016 11:34 PM)Gilgamesh Wrote:  
(16-01-2016 11:12 PM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  You do know 'love' and 'lust' are different, right? Consider

That people can enjoy each other's company and find intellectual and emotional fulfillment in one another, and this can be entirely independent of satiating sexual gratification?

Yes. In this life one often has many friends who mean to one what you described in the second paragraph. Most of these friends wont invoke sexual desire. Still there is endearment, and I don't care if people call this endearment love. However this just creates a typology of love; there is a different type of concept people would also assign the word 'love' to. This other type is what we are talking about here.

As for same-sex pairings: Being able to reproduce and having the drive to are distinct notions. Homosexuals may be subconsciously driven to reproduce with the same sex; it being an impossibility is irrelevant.

Do you have children?

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
17-01-2016, 03:30 AM
(16-01-2016 09:54 AM)dancefortwo Wrote:  ...
He said that there is nothing more wonderful and beautiful than seeing a woman busy and happy in her work. He claimed that watching a women being creative and engaged in that process is a complete, total turn on. I wonder if other men feel this way.

They don't.

But now we know it works...

Angel

17-01-2016, 05:48 AM
There is a reason for couples staying together after sex - our offspring is useless and helpless when born, and pretty much unable to create a life that allows procreation until they have lived some 18 years (age is arbitrary and varies by culture, but that is irrelevant, our offspring NEEDS enormous help to survive from birth).

If both parents just had sex and ignored the consequences, babies would all die. That is not a good thing for the species, don't you agree?

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
17-01-2016, 06:25 AM
Define love.

Love as strong mutual attraction, sure, exists and obviously sustainable. No matter applied to friendships or romance. Plenty of people remain friends their whole lives, plenty of married people stay with each other their whole lives, and enjoy it.

Love as portrayed in movies? Where hot boy sees hot girl, drama ensues, and there's some kind of "you're the ONE" kinda thing... I'm skeptical.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 3 users Like morondog's post
17-01-2016, 06:35 AM
(17-01-2016 06:25 AM)morondog Wrote:  Define love.

Love as strong mutual attraction, sure, exists and obviously sustainable. No matter applied to friendships or romance. Plenty of people remain friends their whole lives, plenty of married people stay with each other their whole lives, and enjoy it.

Love as portrayed in movies? Where hot boy sees hot girl, drama ensues, and there's some kind of "you're the ONE" kinda thing... I'm skeptical.

And even in the movies, the lovers have to go through some awful thing--the drama--to be together/stay together. It's that shared history and difficulties and triumphs faced together that add up to make love something that sustains romantic partners through the ups and downs of sexual attraction. IMO.
[+] 2 users Like julep's post
17-01-2016, 08:55 AM
Love—like gravity—can't be deconstructed.

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
[+] 1 user Likes SYZ's post
17-01-2016, 12:10 PM
(16-01-2016 11:53 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  
(16-01-2016 11:34 PM)Gilgamesh Wrote:  Yes. In this life one often has many friends who mean to one what you described in the second paragraph. Most of these friends wont invoke sexual desire. Still there is endearment, and I don't care if people call this endearment love. However this just creates a typology of love; there is a different type of concept people would also assign the word 'love' to. This other type is what we are talking about here.

Do you have children?

Good question, dance. I think most people who have children would never ask the question, "Does love exist?" To us, it is an incredibly stupid question. Most of us would walk in front of a freight train for our kids even after they are grown and gone from the homeland.
[+] 2 users Like Black Eagle's post
17-01-2016, 12:15 PM
[Image: bobsue.jpg]

#sigh
[+] 6 users Like GirlyMan's post
17-01-2016, 01:51 PM
(17-01-2016 12:10 PM)Black Eagle Wrote:  
(16-01-2016 11:53 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  Do you have children?

Good question, dance. I think most people who have children would never ask the question, "Does love exist?" To us, it is an incredibly stupid question. Most of us would walk in front of a freight train for our kids even after they are grown and gone from the homeland.

Yeah. My kids are in college now and I'd walk through fire for them. It's unconditional love.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 2 users Like dancefortwo's post