Does my reality exists regardless of how I perceive it?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-01-2016, 12:00 PM
RE: Does my reality exists regardless of how I perceive it?
(17-01-2016 11:45 AM)Peebothuhul Wrote:  At work.

Popcorn

Actually, I'll chime in and also ask 'What, exactly, would it take for AgShane to be convinced that their position is wrong?'

As in, how could/can such a veiw be falsified/tested?

A third point? Selectivly editing bits so as to not respond fully to the preceeding post? Not cool.

A logical rebuttal to any of the claims I have made would be sufficient to falsify them.
P.S. I don't edit posts that have been replied to without indicating. They may be edited whilst you are reading however. If it bothers you I will make sure to indicate each time I edit.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
17-01-2016, 12:07 PM
(17-01-2016 11:52 AM)Brian37 Wrote:  
(17-01-2016 09:34 AM)Agnostic Shane Wrote:  Does my reality exists regardless of how I perceive it?
For the sake of simplicity "I" or "my" refers to the author(s) of this post.

My life Cycle as a thought aware being starts after my brain developed and I am able to process this physical world's interaction with my senses. I do not know for a certainty what exists before I became thought aware. Reality before thought awareness is therefore infinitely unknowable based on individual perspective. It is just as likely to believe that there is no reality before thought awareness as it is to believe that there is one. Any statement I make which claims absolute truth requires foreknowledge of reality before thought awareness, except one.
I know reality exists because thoughts exist. Thoughts being simply "the process of thinking". Thoughts are the only known true reality.
I think therefore I am.

By the above Logic the following statements are dishonest for me to say:
I am absolutely certain God(s) exist(s)
I am absolutely certain God(s) do/does not exist.

My honest answer to "Does my reality exists regardless of how I perceive it?"
No. Without "my" thoughts "my" reality cannot exist.

No need for mental masturbation and word salad. If you are unsure if any of your positions are true, the way you find out is through the scientific method of collecting data through established methods, plugging that data into established formulas with control groups, test them and falsify them, hand them over for independent peer review.

Anything else is merely your perception and opinion.
At which point does your statement not fall under perception & opinion?
17-01-2016, 12:09 PM (This post was last modified: 17-01-2016 12:12 PM by Peebothuhul.)
At work.

No. I don't mean for yourself to foist the work off onto other people.

You are explaining your point of view. Great. Thumbsup

You're the one on the 'inside' of your thoughts. If you don't think Bucky Ball's answer cuts the mustard then how might you go about testing your ideas/thoughts?

Also, not 'edit' but only answering part of a post. There was pretty much a whole paragraph on Bucky's post bqck there that got 'lost' with your reply.
17-01-2016, 12:18 PM (This post was last modified: 17-01-2016 12:35 PM by Agnostic Shane.)
(17-01-2016 12:09 PM)Peebothuhul Wrote:  At work.

No. I don't mean for yourself to foist the work off onto other people.

You are explaining your point of view. Great. Thumbsup

You're the one on the 'inside' of your thoughts. If yoy don't think Bucky Ball's answer cuts the mustard then how might you go about testing your ideas/thoughts?

Also, not 'edit' but only answering part of a post. There was pretty much a whole paragraph on Bucky's post bqck there that got 'lost' with your reply.
Bucky edited his post after I started replying.
The final paragraph was not in his original post.
Edit:
Bucky hasn't addressed any of the points I made in his response.
Philosophy & Logic does not require scientific testing to invalidate a point.
All he needs to do is argue the validity of the points raised. If it fails the test of logic then my argument fails.
His approach to logic based discussion is lacking the basic principles of logic.
[+] 1 user Likes Agnostic Shane's post
17-01-2016, 12:23 PM
At work.

I, um, am sorry you've missed my point. Sad

Only having small windows/time in which to reply and using touch screen also sucks.
17-01-2016, 12:36 PM
I edited the last post. Is that what you meant?
17-01-2016, 12:54 PM
(17-01-2016 10:01 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Chas says yes, Girly says not so fast.

Nurse says a crash course in perception by way of psychadelics (psilocybin, LSD) could help you arrive at a more enlightened conclusion. Or just get you really high and "see" sound. But then it's not really "legal" in most countries, and of course the whole thing with "is what I'm getting just some research chem being passed off as LSD?", so there's that...

"Tomorrow Never Knows" - The Beatles

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
[+] 4 users Like Nurse's post
17-01-2016, 01:58 PM
(17-01-2016 12:54 PM)Nurse Wrote:  
(17-01-2016 10:01 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Chas says yes, Girly says not so fast.

Nurse says a crash course in perception by way of psychadelics (psilocybin, LSD) could help you arrive at a more enlightened conclusion. Or just get you really high and "see" sound. But then it's not really "legal" in most countries, and of course the whole thing with "is what I'm getting just some research chem being passed off as LSD?", so there's that...

Holy shit, I would give my left nut to see sound! Although I guess windows media player can do it for free... Just... I think it'd be really cool Smile

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
17-01-2016, 02:08 PM
(17-01-2016 09:34 AM)Agnostic Shane Wrote:  Does my reality exists regardless of how I perceive it?
For the sake of simplicity "I" or "my" refers to the author(s) of this post.

My life Cycle as a thought aware being starts after my brain developed and I am able to process this physical world's interaction with my senses. I do not know for a certainty what exists before I became thought aware. Reality before thought awareness is therefore infinitely unknowable based on individual perspective. It is just as likely to believe that there is no reality before thought awareness as it is to believe that there is one. Any statement I make which claims absolute truth requires foreknowledge of reality before thought awareness, except one.
I know reality exists because thoughts exist. Thoughts being simply "the process of thinking". Thoughts are the only known true reality.
I think therefore I am.

By the above Logic the following statements are dishonest for me to say:
I am absolutely certain God(s) exist(s)
I am absolutely certain God(s) do/does not exist.

My honest answer to "Does my reality exists regardless of how I perceive it?"
No. Without "my" thoughts "my" reality cannot exist.

By "your reality" are you actually referring to your perception of reality? For clarification, I think we should avoid talking about "my" reality and "your" reality. I think we would be better to talk about "reality", and then "my" perception, and "your" perception.

As far as I can tell, reality exists whether I exist or not. Obviously, for "my" perception of reality to exist, I must also exist, but my perception of reality doesn't need to exist in order for reality to exist, at least I have no reason to believe such.

Reality is one of those things that has to exist by definition. Even if nothing exists, that would be the reality. In the broadest sense, reality means: "everything that has existed, exists, or will exist." Wikipedia - reality
[+] 3 users Like Matt Finney's post
17-01-2016, 02:09 PM
(17-01-2016 01:58 PM)morondog Wrote:  
(17-01-2016 12:54 PM)Nurse Wrote:  Nurse says a crash course in perception by way of psychadelics (psilocybin, LSD) could help you arrive at a more enlightened conclusion. Or just get you really high and "see" sound. But then it's not really "legal" in most countries, and of course the whole thing with "is what I'm getting just some research chem being passed off as LSD?", so there's that...

Holy shit, I would give my left nut to see sound! Although I guess windows media player can do it for free... Just... I think it'd be really cool Smile

Why give your left nut when you could simply follow nurse's instructions?Huh
[+] 1 user Likes Matt Finney's post