Does my reality exists regardless of how I perceive it?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-01-2016, 08:05 PM
RE: Does my reality exists regardless of how I perceive it?
(18-01-2016 04:41 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(18-01-2016 04:36 PM)Agnostic Shane Wrote:  What makes you think I am absolutely certain that neurons are real? I already stated the only thing I am absolutely certain exists are thoughts.

Why are you absolutely certain of that? If you are, then you would have to be certain that consciousness exists. Therefore you would have to be certain that minds exist. And so on.

Quote:I am simply showing you that no matter how much we try to prove that reality exists regardless of how we perceive it, we will never be able to properly test the Theory unless we can remove self awareness from the test.

It is when you try to dissacociate reality from self awareness and make the claim that things can still exist even if I am not aware of them that I have to honestly say:
"I do not know".

I have no way of testing it. It would be dishonest of me to claim yes I know it is real with or without my awareness of it.

I have never physcially seen, smelled, tasted, touched or heard The Niagra Falls.
Therefore I can not say with absolute certainty that it exists.

They exist. I am sure of it.
Thoughts as in "the process of thinking" as related to "self awareness"
To disagree with my own existence is counter intuitive. To consider even my own existence I would have to agree that thoughts exist & by extension self awareness.

If by consciousness you mean "self awareness" then I am agreeing with you.
I made the statement:
"I think therefore I am"
It is a statement of absolute certainty about 2 things.
Thoughts & my own existence.
There exists no logical reality whereby I can not exist and still be self aware. It is illogical.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
18-01-2016, 08:07 PM
(18-01-2016 04:41 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(18-01-2016 04:36 PM)Agnostic Shane Wrote:  I am simply showing you that no matter how much we try to prove that reality exists regardless of how we perceive it, we will never be able to properly test the Theory unless we can remove self awareness from the test.

It is when you try to dissacociate reality from self awareness and make the claim that things can still exist even if I am not aware of them that I have to honestly say:
"I do not know".

I have no way of testing it. It would be dishonest of me to claim yes I know it is real with or without my awareness of it.

I have never physcially seen, smelled, tasted, touched or heard The Niagra Falls.

They exist. I am sure of it.
Is this a statement of absolute certainty?
18-01-2016, 08:10 PM
(18-01-2016 04:41 PM)Peebothuhul Wrote:  At work.

So.....

.... We're back to you saying only your thoughts are real......
for the umpteen time
I never said that.
The word "only" denotes nothing else is real.
When have I ever made the claim nothing else is real?
18-01-2016, 08:10 PM
(18-01-2016 08:07 PM)Agnostic Shane Wrote:  
(18-01-2016 04:41 PM)Chas Wrote:  They exist. I am sure of it.

No. It's a 50/50 deal.
Weeping

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
18-01-2016, 08:11 PM
(18-01-2016 04:42 PM)Banjo Wrote:  
(18-01-2016 04:36 PM)Agnostic Shane Wrote:  What makes you think I am absolutely certain that neurons are real? I already stated the only thing I am absolutely certain exists are thoughts.

I am simply showing you that no matter how much we try to prove that reality exists regardless of how we perceive it, we will never be able to properly test the Theory unless we can remove self awareness from the test.

"I do not know".

Have you considered seeing someone about this apparent condition of yours?
You mean the condition of being honest with myself?
Would you prefer to claim absolute certainty about something you are not absolutely certain about? That's being dishonest with yourself.
18-01-2016, 08:13 PM
(17-01-2016 09:34 AM)Agnostic Shane Wrote:  Thoughts are the only known true reality.

From the OP.
Facepalm

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equivocation

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
18-01-2016, 08:13 PM
(18-01-2016 08:07 PM)Agnostic Shane Wrote:  
(18-01-2016 04:41 PM)Chas Wrote:  They exist. I am sure of it.

What is absolute certainty and why should I give a fuck?Consider

I am as sure as the evidence available.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
18-01-2016, 08:15 PM
(18-01-2016 04:50 PM)WhiskeyDebates Wrote:  
(17-01-2016 05:49 PM)Agnostic Shane Wrote:  I would feel the thought process of pain most likely.
Where do we go from here?
Break your arm. Do you feel pain? Absolutely. Do you have 100% functionality in your arm? No. Even if you really really think hard about it.. like super duper hard? Nope.

Why is that?
I never made the claim we can control reality through self awareness. Did you read someone else's post and posted here in error?
Are you even speaking to me?
18-01-2016, 08:18 PM
(18-01-2016 04:56 PM)Banjo Wrote:  
(18-01-2016 04:50 PM)WhiskeyDebates Wrote:  Break your arm. Do you feel pain? Absolutely. Do you have 100% functionality in your arm? No. Even if you really really think hard about it.. like super duper hard? Nope.

Why is that?

Ha ha!

As for "Where do we go from here?" To the hospital you retard. Big Grin
How do we end up in the hospital after an exercise in thought?
I only stated that the result of any such experiment would not disprove the existence of reality outside of perception.
I haven't even assumed we tried the experiment yet, so no it does not follow that we could possibly end up in the hospital.
Did I miss the joke?
18-01-2016, 08:19 PM (This post was last modified: 18-01-2016 08:25 PM by Peebothuhul.)
(18-01-2016 08:10 PM)Agnostic Shane Wrote:  for the umpteen time
I never said that.
The word "only" denotes nothing else is real.
When have I ever made the claim nothing else is real?

This question? See bellow.

I am simply showing you that no matter how much we try to prove that reality exists regardless of how we perceive it, we will never be able to properly test the Theory unless we can remove self awareness from the test.

(18-01-2016 04:36 PM)Agnostic Shane Wrote:  It is when you try to disassociate reality from self awareness and make the claim that things can still exist even if I am not aware of them that I have to honestly say:
"I do not know".

I have never physically seen, smelled, tasted, touched or heard The Niagara Falls.

That bit above that's embolden? Please expand on your thoughts as to the meaning of it. Because, to some one reading on the other side of the screen it seriously seems to imply that the only thing you think/consider is real are your thoughts.

Please enlighten myself and others.