Does my reality exists regardless of how I perceive it?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-01-2016, 02:12 PM
RE: Does my reality exists regardless of how I perceive it?
(17-01-2016 02:09 PM)Matt Finney Wrote:  
(17-01-2016 01:58 PM)morondog Wrote:  Holy shit, I would give my left nut to see sound! Although I guess windows media player can do it for free... Just... I think it'd be really cool Smile

Why give your left nut when you could simply follow nurse's instructions?Huh

Tru dat Blush

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
17-01-2016, 03:40 PM (This post was last modified: 17-01-2016 03:52 PM by Agnostic Shane.)
(17-01-2016 10:50 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(17-01-2016 09:34 AM)Agnostic Shane Wrote:  Does my reality exists regardless of how I perceive it?
For the sake of simplicity "I" or "my" refers to the author(s) of this post.

My life Cycle as a thought aware being starts after my brain developed and I am able to process this physical world's interaction with my senses. I do not know for a certainty what exists before I became thought aware. Reality before thought awareness is therefore infinitely unknowable based on individual perspective. My honest answer to "Does my reality exists regardless of how I perceive it?"
No. Without "my" thoughts "my" reality cannot exist.

(17-01-2016 11:22 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(17-01-2016 11:09 AM)Agnostic Shane Wrote:  You are claiming:
"I know reality exists before I became self aware because reality after I became self aware told me"
It's a fallacy.

Welcome to the Philosophy Forums.

It is not. Name the fallacy.
You are no philosopher. You are simply a stubborn, ignorant solipsist.
I have EVIDENCE (mountains of it, in SCIENCE, that knows what is REQUIRED for thought to even emerge), which you try to deny. There is no fallacy which you can name that follows this reasoning.

You don't need a philosophy forum, you need a support group for ignorant solipsists. Oh wait. Al they could do is talk to themselves, (which is all you do).

What EXACTLY, would it take to convince you your solipsism is incorrect ?
If the answer is nothing, you are simply an ignorant stubborn child, telling himself/herself they are intelligent.
You *do* realize we get about 1 -2 insane nut cases (not unlike you) here just about every week.
Get in line, but think fast., There will be another by this afternoon or tomorrow.

A completely self-centered (actually stubbornly infantile perspective), (which actually, normal babies learn, is totally false).
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piaget%27s...evelopment

There are MOUNTAINS of evidence available to any rational human that Reality is, and always WAS immensely larger than they are, and in fact, they are a direct result of a much larger Reality, (family, Evolution, etc etc etc).

Everyone's "life cycle" starts with the chemical processes science has PROVEN start LONG BEFORE the complex biological systems which EVENTUALLY allow consciousness and "thought" to emerge. Without ALL THE learning, thought is impossible. This IS "knowable" by "individual perspective" by anyone who cares to LEARN about these things. If anyone had been born severely brain injured, and normal thought and perception is/was impossible, Reality would still exist, and the world and Reality that produced them still exists, and would remain unchanged.

Take some science classes, (especially on human embryology and human development and Neuro-science).
Here are a list of Buckies fallacies:

I claim he committed a fallacy, he claims that i cannot know if he committed a fallacy because I am not a philosopher.
Argumentum ad hominem – the evasion of the actual topic by directing an attack at your opponent.

He claims my argument is invalid because I am a Solipsist (I'm not)
Bulverism (psychogenetic fallacy) – inferring why an argument is being used, associating it to some psychological reason, then assuming it is invalid as a result. It is wrong to assume that if the origin of an idea comes from a biased mind, then the idea itself must also be a falsehood.

He assumes the science of reality he gained by post self aware reality must also be true for both post & pre self aware reality.
Or rather
 He believes that it is ok to assume that reality exists pre self awareness when examining a reality that could have existed pre self awareness.
Begging the question (petitio principii) – providing what is essentially the conclusion of the argument as a premise.
Fallacy of composition – assuming that something true of part of a whole must also be true of the whole.

He claims I have a self centered, stubbornly infantile perspective.
Judgmental language – insulting or pejorative language to influence the recipient's judgment.

He claims there is a mountain of evidence that proves there is a much larger reality without providing or explaining the evidence.
Appeal to authority (argumentum ab auctoritate) – where an assertion is deemed true because of the position or authority of the person asserting it.
To a certain degree:
Appeal to accomplishment – where an assertion is deemed true or false based on the accomplishments of the proposer.
To a certain degree:
Argument from repetition (argumentum ad infinitum) – signifies that it has been discussed extensively until nobody cares to discuss it anymore

His reply insinuates that I am speaking about reality from the inception of a life cycle as the basis for logical testing, when in fact I am speaking about reality from the inception of self awareness.
Straw man fallacy – an argument based on misrepresentation of an opponent's position.
[+] 1 user Likes Agnostic Shane's post
17-01-2016, 05:47 PM
Steps to follow .
1. Get hammer.
2. Hit your nose.

Then get back to us.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
17-01-2016, 05:49 PM
(17-01-2016 05:47 PM)Banjo Wrote:  Steps to follow .
1. Get hammer.
2. Hit your nose.

Then get back to us.
I would feel the thought process of pain most likely.
Where do we go from here?
17-01-2016, 05:52 PM
Facts are facts and perception is perception.

They are not the same concept.

What are we talking about here?

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
17-01-2016, 05:54 PM
(17-01-2016 05:52 PM)Dom Wrote:  Facts are facts and perception is perception.

They are not the same concept.

What are we talking about here?
It was once considered a fact that the Earth was flat & Pluto was a planet.
What are you talking about?
17-01-2016, 06:39 PM
You hamper on far to much on what you think are standard definitions. Words and ideas are far more functional and fluid than that.

But again, if you can't prove anything about your reality to such a serious extent. So what? (this isn't to "disregard" the idea but to say, okay whats the goal or value here) I can't prove it but it's not like it's a bothersome or concept of butting heads with people about.. I guess I can say I accept it's an absurd situation.

You make a lot of snips at other peoples fallaciousness or uncertain positive claims. But you're constant bringing up of thoughts in that way via the same argumentative form.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
17-01-2016, 06:45 PM
(17-01-2016 05:49 PM)Agnostic Shane Wrote:  
(17-01-2016 05:47 PM)Banjo Wrote:  Steps to follow .
1. Get hammer.
2. Hit your nose.

Then get back to us.
I would feel the thought process of pain most likely.

Please try it. Do it really hard.

Then get back to us.

Are you a first year university student studying philosophy reading Hegel or something?

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
17-01-2016, 06:54 PM
(17-01-2016 10:01 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Chas says yes, Girly says not so fast.

Nuh-uh. Chas says if he has no thoughts, he has no reality as there is no 'him'.

If he had no thoughts, would he be just as tedious? Consider

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
17-01-2016, 07:02 PM
(17-01-2016 06:45 PM)Banjo Wrote:  
(17-01-2016 05:49 PM)Agnostic Shane Wrote:  I would feel the thought process of pain most likely.

Please try it. Do it really hard.

Then get back to us.

Are you a first year university student studying philosophy reading Hegel or something?
What is your point?
Do you even have a point?