Does my reality exists regardless of how I perceive it?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-01-2016, 02:11 PM
RE: Does my reality exists regardless of how I perceive it?
(19-01-2016 02:01 PM)Agnostic Shane Wrote:  Anyone that makes the claim that it's impossible to know anything beyond your own perceptions is making an utterly useless claim.

It is impossible to know the source of your own perceptions. Phenomenon v. Noumenon. - Kant

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
19-01-2016, 02:12 PM
(19-01-2016 11:03 AM)WhiskeyDebates Wrote:  
(19-01-2016 10:32 AM)cjlr Wrote:  As fun as it is to equivocate in circles for 250 posts...

In the strictest sense it is impossible to prove or know anything beyond your own perceptions. This supposition is also useless and irrelevant.

Have any interesting points been made here?
Not really, anything approaching a good point has been ignored or misrepresented by the OP.
Perfect example of proving something by claiming it has already been proven.
This thread has been littered with these type of replies and never once will you see me do that.
19-01-2016, 02:13 PM
(19-01-2016 02:11 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(19-01-2016 02:01 PM)Agnostic Shane Wrote:  Anyone that makes the claim that it's impossible to know anything beyond your own perceptions is making an utterly useless claim.

It is impossible to know the source of your own perceptions. Phenomenon v. Noumenon. - Kant
Agreed.
[+] 1 user Likes Agnostic Shane's post
19-01-2016, 02:15 PM
(19-01-2016 02:12 PM)Agnostic Shane Wrote:  
(19-01-2016 11:03 AM)WhiskeyDebates Wrote:  Not really, anything approaching a good point has been ignored or misrepresented by the OP.
This thread has been littered with these type of replies and never once will you see me do that.

You're boring and stupid. You don't deserve the quality of replies that you've gotten. Jesus FUCK. What is with every two bit wannabe philosopher coming here to spout their crap?

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
19-01-2016, 02:19 PM
(19-01-2016 02:12 PM)Agnostic Shane Wrote:  
(19-01-2016 11:03 AM)WhiskeyDebates Wrote:  Not really, anything approaching a good point has been ignored or misrepresented by the OP.

Bully for you, sport.
Except no one lives in your little black and white world of "logic" and premises and proofs. . It's not even an attempt at "proving" anything. I get that you *need* to live in that little obessive/compulsive/anal-retentive world, but it's very unusual.
Have you ever seen a therapist ? Everything in your simplistic little world is "proofs". I can think of a couple mental disorders that might fit in.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post
19-01-2016, 02:23 PM
(19-01-2016 02:01 PM)Agnostic Shane Wrote:  
(19-01-2016 10:47 AM)Chas Wrote:  No. Drinking Beverage

Agreed.
Anyone that makes the claim that it's impossible to know anything beyond your own perceptions is making an utterly useless claim.

That contradicts your OP.

Quote:So tell me what do you think about someone claiming that he is absolutely certain about the things he perceives via self awareness?

He's a fool.

Quote:Because this is what I have been claiming since the OP & I haven't changed my stance yet.

You're a fool, then.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
19-01-2016, 02:38 PM
(19-01-2016 02:23 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(19-01-2016 02:01 PM)Agnostic Shane Wrote:  Agreed.
Anyone that makes the claim that it's impossible to know anything beyond your own perceptions is making an utterly useless claim.

That contradicts your OP.

Quote:So tell me what do you think about someone claiming that he is absolutely certain about the things he perceives via self awareness?

He's a fool.

Quote:Because this is what I have been claiming since the OP & I haven't changed my stance yet.

You're a fool, then.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
19-01-2016, 04:05 PM (This post was last modified: 19-01-2016 05:43 PM by Agnostic Shane.)
(19-01-2016 02:15 PM)morondog Wrote:  
(19-01-2016 02:12 PM)Agnostic Shane Wrote:  Perfect example of proving something by claiming it has already been proven.

You're boring and stupid. You don't deserve the quality of replies that you've gotten. Jesus FUCK. What is with every two bit wannabe philosopher coming here to spout their crap?

Shane: "Does reality exist regardless of how I perceive it?"

Peebo, Whiskey, Bucky, Clydee & Chas: "Yes!"

Peebo: "brain in a vat again... Then how might one test such a thing"

Shane: "I have no way of testing it."

Whiskey: "Which makes it unfalseafiable and thus entirely worthless and worth no ones time."

Shane: "You are further emphasizing my point Whiskey. I wanted to show the utter uselessness of believing in something that cannot be tested."
"I am uncertain if reality exists regardless of my perception" Therefore why believe it does?

Whiskey: "there is a MOUNTAIN of evidence to support the hypothesis that reality outside of the individual exists"

Shane: "By your logic if I had ... evidence ... that my life is being guided by some divine force ... I would be stupid not to continue asking this divine force for help."

Peebo: "yes you would be stupid to ignore said guiding information from said divine force for which there is a mountain of evidence FOR."

Whiskey: "Your making a false comparison between the mountains of objective, demonstrable, testable, falsifiable, and repeatable evidence we have for the existence of reality before self awareness with personal anecdotes about a supernatural being."

Shane: "This would require me not believing in the existence of anything until I have personally went through the mountain of evidence?"

WhiskeyDebates: "You don't need to review ALL the evidence just enough evidence as to make the belief rational"

Shane: "At which point do I accept the claim that Niagara exists?"

ClydeeLee: "It's up to you to decide at what point you find the criteria "justified" enough to accept it"

Shane: Didn't you all say reality is supposed to exist regardless of my perception? "How did you ever come to that conclusion?" Did you test it? Was it demonstrable, testable, falsifiable & repeatable?

cjlr: "In the strictest sense it is impossible to prove or know anything beyond your own perceptions"

Whiskey: "You're entire position can't be tested in any way"

Shane: I'm confused. It was never my position. I do not claim that "Reality can exist regardless of my perception." That was what you guys were claiming. I claimed uncertainty outside of perception & certainty within. (edit: The latter is testable)

I am still waiting for you to answer how you tested for reality without the use of perception.
19-01-2016, 05:04 PM
(19-01-2016 01:42 AM)Agnostic Shane Wrote:  
(19-01-2016 01:39 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  The ground at the bottom of the cliff seems to think so.
It is an untestable hypothesis.
Therefore completely useless & should not be believed in.

It's pretty testable to those willing to jump ... and those cleaning up the mess.
19-01-2016, 05:07 PM
(19-01-2016 02:03 AM)Agnostic Shane Wrote:  
(19-01-2016 02:01 AM)morondog Wrote:  ... You're saying that the idea that the ground at the bottom of a cliff is hard is an "untestable hypothesis". Pray what is a testable hypothesis then?
No. The belief in "Reality existing regardless of how you perceive it" is untestable in the same way God's existence is untestable.
It is a completely useless belief and therefore should not be believed in.

Yet here you are interacting with people. That seems to me to indicate that you don't believe what you are propounding.