Does my reality exists regardless of how I perceive it?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-01-2016, 08:20 PM
RE: Does my reality exists regardless of how I perceive it?
(17-01-2016 09:34 AM)Agnostic Shane Wrote:  Does my reality exists regardless of how I perceive it?
For the sake of simplicity "I" or "my" refers to the author(s) of this post.

My life Cycle as a thought aware being starts after my brain developed and I am able to process this physical world's interaction with my senses. I do not know for a certainty what exists before I became thought aware. Reality before thought awareness is therefore infinitely unknowable based on individual perspective. It is just as likely to believe that there is no reality before thought awareness as it is to believe that there is one. Any statement I make which claims absolute truth requires foreknowledge of reality before thought awareness, except one.
I know reality exists because thoughts exist. Thoughts being simply "the process of thinking". Thoughts are the only known true reality.
I think therefore I am.

By the above Logic the following statements are dishonest for me to say:
I am absolutely certain God(s) exist(s)
I am absolutely certain God(s) do/does not exist.

My honest answer to "Does my reality exists regardless of how I perceive it?"
No. Without "my" thoughts "my" reality cannot exist.

Hello! Big Grin

Home from work, have a keyboard in front of me and am able to take my time and properly reply to things. Smile

SO! Taking the OP's beginning post above they ask the question,

"Does my reality exists regardless of how I perceive it?"

I would, quickly and simply, answer "Yes."

Though, given the opening post it would seem the OP wants a tad more than that.

Looking forwards to reading more posts.

Thumbsup
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
17-01-2016, 08:22 PM (This post was last modified: 17-01-2016 08:25 PM by Agnostic Shane.)
(17-01-2016 07:22 PM)Banjo Wrote:  
(17-01-2016 07:02 PM)Agnostic Shane Wrote:  Are you a first year university student studying philosophy reading Hegel or something?
What is your point?
Do you even have a point?
Banjo Wrote:Do you have an answer to my question?

I studied philosophy for years starting at 16. In the end decided it was outclassed by physics.

For example. Your first question is meaningless to me. I am unsure if you are, or are not insane. I would need to be sure before commenting upon your personal reality.

Myself, having broken 29 bones, rupturing a kidney and contracting cancer, I can tell I exist.

As I advised, if unsure, go smash your hand with a hammer.

Or are you too afraid you may actually exist and this reality thing is real.

Before and after pic's would be appreciated.
Yes I study Philosophy.
How did you correlate my statements of:
"thoughts are real"
&
"I think therefore I am"
to equate to:
"I am too afraid I may actually exist and this reality thing is real".

I should think they equivocate to a belief in the opposite.

My condolences on your injury & I think you should give Philosophy another try.
17-01-2016, 08:28 PM
(17-01-2016 08:10 PM)Agnostic Shane Wrote:  Thank you for correcting my spelling error. Not a Philosopher as yet.

That's very obvious.

(17-01-2016 08:10 PM)Agnostic Shane Wrote:  Your rebuttal to my Fallacy List is quite vague. You simply said that it doesn't apply & I made it up.
Can you indicate which parts I fabricated so that I may address them or at the very least admit fallibility on my part?
While you are at it can you also indicate which one of my posts has an inclination to mental retardation? Clearly this can be a more serious issue & it would be foolish of me to disregard it.

You do seem to have a very serious problem with reading comprehension. I never said you were mentally retarded. You made that up too. (It's called a "lie")
I didn't say you made up your list. I said the things you referenced, you made up and misinterpreted what I said.

(17-01-2016 08:10 PM)Agnostic Shane Wrote:  No I am not a student of William Lane Craig. Considering that he is a Theist & I am not I don't see how you correlated this.
He is an advocate of "God works in mysterious ways" & if you would look at the "Atheism & Theism" section you will see I wrote an article showing why it is illogical for any God to work in mysterious ways.

Because you are both Presuppositionalists. You believe in your "thoughts" and can provide no argument for that belief.

In as much as it is recognized in science that many delusional psychotics "have thoughts" that are totally removed from, and in no way related to "reality", it appears there must be some sort of "objective" standard against which thought can be judged, and a way to determine of they correlate with reality.

Have fun in your Philosophical fapping adventures. Reality has been show to be counter-intuitive, and quite "illogical", (Uncertainty, Relativity, the math of Dirac's tensors, Quantum Mechanics). Philosophy never discovered anything important about the nature of Reality.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post
17-01-2016, 08:33 PM
(17-01-2016 09:34 AM)Agnostic Shane Wrote:  Does my reality exists regardless of how I perceive it?

It's "Does my reality EXIST regardless of how I perceive it ?'
This is a completely nonsensical question.
What you perceive IS your reality. Psychotics perceive all sorts of nonsense. That IS their reality. Whether one actually perceives verifiable reality accurately, is another matter.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
17-01-2016, 08:44 PM (This post was last modified: 17-01-2016 09:00 PM by Agnostic Shane.)
(17-01-2016 08:28 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(17-01-2016 08:10 PM)Agnostic Shane Wrote:  Thank you for correcting my spelling error. Not a Philosopher as yet.

That's very obvious.

(17-01-2016 08:10 PM)Agnostic Shane Wrote:  Your rebuttal to my Fallacy List is quite vague. You simply said that it doesn't apply & I made it up.
Can you indicate which parts I fabricated so that I may address them or at the very least admit fallibility on my part?
While you are at it can you also indicate which one of my posts has an inclination to mental retardation? Clearly this can be a more serious issue & it would be foolish of me to disregard it.

You do seem to have a very serious problem with reading comprehension. I never said you were mentally retarded. You made that up too. (It's called a "lie")
I didn't say you made up your list. I said the things you referenced, you made up and misinterpreted what I said.

(17-01-2016 08:10 PM)Agnostic Shane Wrote:  No I am not a student of William Lane Craig. Considering that he is a Theist & I am not I don't see how you correlated this.
He is an advocate of "God works in mysterious ways" & if you would look at the "Atheism & Theism" section you will see I wrote an article showing why it is illogical for any God to work in mysterious ways.

Because you are both Presuppositionalists. You believe in your "thoughts" and can provide no argument for that belief.

In as much as it is recognized in science that many delusional psychotics "have thoughts" that are totally removed from, and in no way related to "reality", it appears there must be some sort of "objective" standard against which thought can be judged, and a way to determine of they correlate with reality.

Have fun in your Philosophical fapping adventures. Reality has been show to be counter-intuitive, and quite "illogical", (Uncertainty, Relativity, the math of Dirac's tensors, Quantum Mechanics). Philosophy never discovered anything important about the nature of Reality.
This statement:
" can you also indicate which one of my posts has an inclination to mental retardation"
should have read:
" can you also indicate which one of my posts has an inclination to mental illness"

You never called me a mental retard. I did not lie here, it was only a typo.

Regarding presupposition I am actually anti-presupposition.
One of the main points in the original post is that we should remove all presuppositions until the point in time we first became self aware & then consider what reality is.
Your last 2 paragraphs are seemingly irrelevant other than to attack my character.
Argumentum ad hominem – the evasion of the actual topic by directing an attack at your opponent.
17-01-2016, 08:52 PM
(17-01-2016 08:44 PM)Agnostic Shane Wrote:  It seems the most logical thing to do because anything before self awareness is speculation at best.

This statement. How might one go about testing it?
17-01-2016, 08:54 PM
(17-01-2016 08:52 PM)Peebothuhul Wrote:  
(17-01-2016 08:44 PM)Agnostic Shane Wrote:  It seems the most logical thing to do because anything before self awareness is speculation at best.

This statement. How might one go about testing it?
What would we be testing?
17-01-2016, 09:18 PM
(17-01-2016 08:54 PM)Agnostic Shane Wrote:  What would we be testing?

The highlighted bit.

As in, how might you test your thoughts are all there is?
17-01-2016, 09:23 PM
(17-01-2016 09:18 PM)Peebothuhul Wrote:  

The highlighted bit.

For example. The Roman empire never existed regardless of countless evidence. What a complete idiot!

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
17-01-2016, 09:38 PM
(17-01-2016 09:18 PM)Peebothuhul Wrote:  

The highlighted bit.

I never said that "thoughts are all there is" nor do I believe that.
I claimed thoughts are the only thing we know exists for certain.
Anything outside of the subset of thoughts we cannot know for certainty.

We cannot test for anything that existed before self awareness with absolute certainty. This is not to say that reality does not exists before self awareness. The probability remains 50/50 that reality exists pre self awareness