Does my reality exists regardless of how I perceive it?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-01-2016, 12:25 PM
RE: Does my reality exists regardless of how I perceive it?
(22-01-2016 11:14 AM)Agnostic Shane Wrote:  
(22-01-2016 10:47 AM)WhiskeyDebates Wrote:  Actually you can, proving you know as much about Civil War era Economics as you do about anything else you have talked about. Not very much.
Disregarding the op.
The question still lies:
How was slavery not useful to the plantation owners?

It's very existence dehumanized those who benefited from it. It allowed one group of humans to view another group as less than human, and it was detrimental to both sides. Sure the wealthy plantation owners benefits financially from slavery in the short term, but what did it cost them? Their empathy, the family members they lost in the ensuing Civil War, and the relegation of huge swaths of their territory being relegated to a economic stagnation and cultural irrelevance that in many places has yet to cease.

What part of this was unclear?

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
22-01-2016, 12:30 PM
(22-01-2016 12:04 PM)Agnostic Shane Wrote:  The claim I was trying to make is:
Absolute certainty within my perceivable reality
And not
Absolute certainty within my conceivable reality

Posters were debating me on the latter while I was only defending the former. It took me a while to realize it and after I pointed it out everyone stopped arguing.

Um, no. You are either lying or you did not understand the nature of the responses you received.
(and you still haven't addressed the presupposition inherent to the position you claim regardless)

... this is my signature!
22-01-2016, 01:03 PM
(22-01-2016 12:25 PM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(22-01-2016 11:14 AM)Agnostic Shane Wrote:  Disregarding the op.
The question still lies:
How was slavery not useful to the plantation owners?

It's very existence dehumanized those who benefited from it. It allowed one group of humans to view another group as less than human, and it was detrimental to both sides. Sure the wealthy plantation owners benefits financially from slavery in the short term, but what did it cost them? Their empathy, the family members they lost in the ensuing Civil War, and the relegation of huge swaths of their territory being relegated to a economic stagnation and cultural irrelevance that in many places has yet to cease.

What part of this was unclear?
Nothing is unclear.
It just doesn't seem to answer my question.
How was it useless?
Maybe I just don't understand the meaning of the word useless properly.

use·less/ˈyo͞osləs/
adjective
not fulfilling or not expected to achieve the intended purpose or desired outcome.

I thought it meant that
if something doesn't have ANY purpose OR desired outcome it is useless

But what your saying here is
if something has an undesired outcome, regardless of purpose , it is useless

Therefore the following scenario is useless:
Desired outcome followed by an unrelated undesired outcome is useless

If your assumed definition is more accurate than the google one then I agree my post is definitely useless. You will not get any opposition from me if this is the case.

Did I accurately depict your understanding of the word useless?
22-01-2016, 01:11 PM (This post was last modified: 22-01-2016 01:23 PM by Agnostic Shane.)
(22-01-2016 12:30 PM)cjlr Wrote:  
(22-01-2016 12:04 PM)Agnostic Shane Wrote:  The claim I was trying to make is:
Absolute certainty within my perceivable reality
And not
Absolute certainty within my conceivable reality

Posters were debating me on the latter while I was only defending the former. It took me a while to realize it and after I pointed it out everyone stopped arguing.

Um, no. You are either lying or you did not understand the nature of the responses you received.
(and you still haven't addressed the presupposition inherent to the position you claim regardless)
If what you say is true then it is most definitely that I do not understand the nature of the responses.
What is the presupposition inherent to the position I claimed?

Forgive me please I am not being difficult I seriously don't see the presupposition now that I have fully explained the op.
This would be the claim:
"I am absolutely certain as far as perception would allow that my reality is real"

It is a subjective position that does not assert certainty from an objective stand point.
In fact this claim asserts uncertainty from an objective standpoint & uncertainty isn't a presupposition.

How would it be possible to tell someone that they are presuming that they don't know.
It would make more sense if you told them that "they are dishonestly claiming that they don't know" because all the evidence suggests otherwise.
22-01-2016, 04:34 PM
(22-01-2016 11:00 AM)Agnostic Shane Wrote:  
(22-01-2016 07:34 AM)undergroundp Wrote:  If I only replied to threads that had a point, life wouldn't be fun. I replied because the issue of the use of philosophy arose and I had something to say about it.

In your scenario you made use of the thread by having fun with it.
Do you then deny it served you a purpose?
Would you still make the claim it was a useless/pointless/purposeless thread?
What exactly makes something useless/purposeless/pointless?

I wasn't saying the thread was useless, I was saying it doesn't make much sense. Most of the time I don't understand what you're on about. Like, this is too much for a Friday night.

I'm sleepy.

"Behind every great pirate, there is a great butt."
-Guybrush Threepwood-
22-01-2016, 04:48 PM
Why is utility the benchmark for judging a phenomenon?