Does not being attached to my phone make me a better person than you?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-07-2012, 09:10 PM
Does not being attached to my phone make me a better person than you?
I've always been that guy who doesn't carry his cell phone with him or use Twitter. My phone is still a flip open, not a 600 dollar mini-laptop the size of a phone. And when I leave the house I never take my phone with me (unless its a long drive, emergency purposes) and I delight in how freaked that makes people. "You don't have your phone on you?? Why?" I've always been proud of my resistance to what I consider vanities. I use facebook not to inform others of my mundane activities, but just to post the same stuff I post on here so I can debate with people. Things like twitter absolutely baffle me. Why would anyone care about what anyone else had for breakfast or where they are shopping?

Am I correct in my attitude, though? I can't stand people at concerts recording through 5.4 megapixel phones instead of just using their eyes and being in the moment. In college, I was constantly distracted by other people's texts which I'm sure were as important as, "Lol Bryce, I'm so totally going to Jimmy Johns later." Should the preferred method be moderation (as with all things in life, imo)? Or is this just another resistance to trends? The majority seems to constantly be in the wrong these days. Music is dominated by Disney clones and fabricated idols. Movies pander to Twilight tweens. Top seller book lists seem to be monopolized with "Shades of Grey" type Oprah selections and Chicken Soup for the Unoriginal Soul. I've always found that the underrated and undiscovered things are much better quality than the socially accepted ones, and maybe this phone business is just an offspring of that behavior.

Regardless, now I appear to be rambling. Get off your damn phone.

Sub-question. What if in the future, our technology surpasses real life. We have this virtual reality of vivid "realism" that can't be duplicated in real life. Is it still better to try to live in the real world when the virtual world has more to offer? Sort of a Surrogates movie moral question. Is a fantasy world offering you a better reality actually better than wrinkles, age spots, and brutal lessons of life?

"Ain't got no last words to say, yellow streak right up my spine. The gun in my mouth was real and the taste blew my mind."

"We see you cry. We turn your head. Then we slap your face. We see you try. We see you fail. Some things never change."
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Buddy Christ's post
18-07-2012, 09:20 PM
RE: Does not being attached to my phone make me a better person than you?
I don't get it. What do you use to masturbate with?

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post
18-07-2012, 09:22 PM (This post was last modified: 18-07-2012 09:29 PM by Buddy Christ.)
The JC Penny catalog bra section and a bottle of vegetable oil. The way the good Lord intended.

"Ain't got no last words to say, yellow streak right up my spine. The gun in my mouth was real and the taste blew my mind."

"We see you cry. We turn your head. Then we slap your face. We see you try. We see you fail. Some things never change."
[+] 6 users Like Buddy Christ's post
18-07-2012, 09:28 PM
(18-07-2012 09:10 PM)Buddy Christ Wrote:  I've always been that guy who doesn't carry his cell phone with him or use Twitter. My phone is still a flip open, not a 600 dollar mini-laptop the size of a phone. And when I leave the house I never take my phone with me (unless its a long drive, emergency purposes) and I delight in how freaked that makes people. "You don't have your phone on you?? Why?" I've always been proud of my resistance to what I consider vanities. I use facebook not to inform others of my mundane activities, but just to post the same stuff I post on here so I can debate with people. Things like twitter absolutely baffle me. Why would anyone care about what anyone else had for breakfast or where they are shopping?

Am I correct in my attitude, though? I can't stand people at concerts recording through 5.4 megapixel phones instead of just using their eyes and being in the moment. In college, I was constantly distracted by other people's texts which I'm sure were as important as, "Lol Bryce, I'm so totally going to Jimmy Johns later." Should the preferred method be moderation (as with all things in life, imo)? Or is this just another resistance to trends? The majority seems to constantly be in the wrong these days. Music is dominated by Disney clones and fabricated idols. Movies pander to Twilight tweens. Top seller book lists seem to be monopolized with "Shades of Grey" type Oprah selections and Chicken Soup for the Unoriginal Soul. I've always found that the underrated and undiscovered things are much better quality than the socially accepted ones, and maybe this phone business is just an offspring of that behavior.

Regardless, now I appear to be rambling. Get off your damn phone.

Sub-question. What if in the future, our technology surpasses real life. We have this virtual reality of vivid "realism" that can't be duplicated in real life. Is it still better to try to live in the real world when the virtual world has more to offer? Sort of a Surrogates movie moral question. Is a fantasy world offering you a better reality actually better than wrinkles, age spots, and brutal lessons of life?
I only use my cell phone for emergencies. I almost never turn it on. I actually hate talking on the phone, at all, except for very short periods, with a couple people. It pisses people off. (Did you know talking on the phone raises your blood pressure, many times to unhealthy levels ?)

Kurzweil thinks the technology will be implanted in about 30 - 50 years.

I am always amazed how people substitute the picture taking, for the actual experience. In attempting to grasp the experience, they actually miss it. It's the "consumer" culture, "grasping" vs experiencing. Twitter is for junior highers, who never grew up..for those who have no real independent secure self-identity., IMO.

At some point humans will have to make the decision to live on the Holodeck, (virtual reality), ..or not. Not very optimistic about that.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post
18-07-2012, 09:38 PM
It's just so... inhumane at times. We are becoming robots. I've seen youtube videos of people being hit by a bus and maybe 3 or 4 people ran over to help while this sea of Iphones came flying up to record, including the person who posted it to youtube. So I guess by watching his vid, I'm an enabler. I've raised his view count or given him a Like, supporting this kind of behavior.

I agree completely with Louis CK.

18-07-2012, 10:25 PM
I always carry my cellphone (a flip top with no internet access) because I do not have a landline. I don't use it that much to begin with anyways. I have no intention of buying one of the mini-laptops that you speak of. Those have been the bane of my existence while I'm on campus. Assholes of both genders constantly bump into me while I'm walking down the street or jump out in front of my car simply because they aren't paying attention to anything else. Then they have the audacity to look at me like it's my fault. I swear I'm going to get locked up for bitch slapping someone this upcoming semester!

Regarding social networking sites, I have two of them: myspace and facebook. I haven't touched my myspace in three years. I only post on my facebook once every few months, and what I do post is usually something silly I've drawn or a link to a scholarly article I've written. I'm not the kind of person to chat online (the fact that I have less than 400 posts after being on here for over a year should be an indicator of that), post about my day, or to air my grievances online for the whole world to see. If I want to reach out to someone, I just give them a call. The only reason I keep my facebook account is so I can stay in contact with family or friends just in case I lose their numbers. I believe I only have 50 facebook friends. This is something I'm proud of; I actually know these people. My younger sister, on the other hand, has hundreds and hundreds of friends, but I doubt she even knows half of them. I do not see the point of twitter at all. Why do I need to be updated on someone’s activities or whereabouts 24 hours a day? I don’t know of anyone that interesting, not even close family or friends.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
18-07-2012, 10:40 PM
Buddy, here is Douglas Adams' take on what you are experiencing:

Anything that is in the world when you’re born is normal and ordinary and is just a natural part of the way the world works.
Anything that’s invented between when you’re fifteen and thirty- five is new and exciting and revolutionary and you can probably get a career in it.
Anything invented after you’re thirty-five is against the natural order of things.

[+] 4 users Like DLJ's post
18-07-2012, 10:50 PM
(18-07-2012 09:22 PM)Buddy Christ Wrote:  The JC Penny catalog bra section and a bottle of vegetable oil. The way the good Lord intended.

Oh my Jehovah. Throw in a Nat Geo with an issue on Pygmies of Papa New Guinea and you're preaching to the choir, my friend!

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post
18-07-2012, 11:38 PM
I think people are losing the ability to converse and interact with each other due to this type of social media. So many are caught up in this narcissistic type of behaviour; 'Look at me, look at me'. I cannot believe twitter (it should be called twatter imo) even exists, I mean, who fucking cares what you ate for breakfast or how many dumps you took yesterday!! FFS.

My son had his friends over not so long ago (I was on my computer probably on TTA Wink ) when I realised there was no talking. I looked around and my son and his two friends were all texting, not even interacting with each other. So I asked his friends (which I have known a long time), 'why did you come over?'. They all just looked at me.....duhhhhh. 'You're not even talking to each other so get out!' They apologized (which they didn't need to as I don't really care, I was just stirring them up) and put their phones down.

Tbh, I don't see the attraction Dodgy I'd rather be face-to-face and talk.

Yes, I own a mobile phone (cell to most of you guys) only cos I don't have a landline but it's not used much.

Call me old fashioned, I don't give a rats!!! Thumbsup

Humankind Dodgy (a total misnomer)
19-07-2012, 02:04 AM
I use my mobile phone for 2 things. Phone calls and sometimes SMS. I use older slide-up-and-down, no Internet, no MMS stupid things... But it looks like a Klingon communicator with Mr. Worf saying: "Captain, incoming message." and a Klingon logo spinning on the "desktop"... My ringtone is from "24", just like Jack Bauers. Smile

I hate it. I hate what it did to people, I hate what it did to our social life, but I can not live without it. Not that I am addicted, but it is the way our world works, I am out of the house most of the time, I don't have or want a hard line in my house, so mobile phone is my only way of communicating. Also, most of my work and hobbies require me to use mobile phone, so I'm kinda stuck with it.

I still remember the good old times without mobile phones... We all knew where to meet and at what time, so we didn't need phones, we had our place to hang out. Every "group of friends" had a different part of the town where they were hanging out, so the town was always full of people, we would all hang out, drink, party, whatever. Then, when mobile phones came, we stopped doing that, because it is now easier to just call the person you want to hang out and arrange some place and time of your choice. Everything broke up, those places are empty now, people hang out in coffee bars or something similar. Ruined the whole sub-culture we had.

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
[+] 2 users Like Filox's post