Does not being attached to my phone make me a better person than you?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-07-2012, 09:05 AM
RE: Does not being attached to my phone make me a better person than you?
I think there's a distinction in using technology to your advantage and being a total luddite. To say cell phones ruined our social interaction is an opinion, others say it enriched it. It changed it is what happened. I for one use twitter and follow the likes of The Scientist magazine, PolitiFact, SCOTUSblog, The NY Times, The Randi Foundation, National Wildlife Federation, PopSci, and a few close friends. There definitely is the large and majority aspect of just throwing out random information that no one gives a shit about, but truthfully people did that before anyways every day of their life it just went more unnoticed because it wasn't condensed down to a "tweet"; it was in the form of meaningless small talk. I personally use twitter as a way to tie in my favorite news sources, organizations and friends important updates into one source that can easily be viewed in a short amount of time.

That's just my opinion on it. People choose to do dumb things or smart things, this is just another venue in which to make that choice.

"A man who dares waste an hour of his life has not discovered the value of life." - Charles Darwin
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
19-07-2012, 09:47 AM
I got rid of my cell phone four years ago and my wife got rid of hers about three years ago. Other than the occasional instance we were actually happier withOut them.
Now because of family issues and because we found a neat phone in the road, we have one again. I have only made one call on it and one text message. It's for emergencies only and browsing the Internet when waiting for stuff.

I hate cell phone culture. I hate people who drive and cell phone. I hate people who answer non emergancy calls while with someone else and who leave the loud ringer on at all times even in restaurants an then take forever to answer it.

Cell phone people make me furious on a daily basis. I used to find the small dog people more annoying but that fad seems to be slowing. I don't mean people who own small dogs Erx, so calm down. I mean the people who think its cools to bring their dog anywhere just because it's small.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes lucradis's post
19-07-2012, 10:12 AM
Why don't you just say you hate people and not work yourself up by typing so much?

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
[+] 2 users Like Erxomai's post
19-07-2012, 10:14 AM
I love people. Real people. Don't take offense just because you have a little dog. Just don't take your dog into food establishments.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
19-07-2012, 10:20 AM
My dick is little. My dog is just short in stature. She's too heavy to carry around. Or I'm too weak, which makes more sense.

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
[+] 3 users Like Erxomai's post
19-07-2012, 10:22 AM
I have a blackberry - and I used it to get business mail when travelling and ran the joint just from the phone. I also had it turned on when hubby went shopping - he always called with questions about what to get.

Now, I charge it when I go driving so I have an emergency phone, but most of the time it's in my purse and out of juice.

I see them as a useful tool when needed. When not needed, I put it away just like any other tool.

I don't like talking on the phone. What's the point of going for a walk in the woods if I end up talking business? But I do see the usefulness of it. Not throwing out the baby with the bath water. Just using it when it makes sense.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
19-07-2012, 10:26 AM
(19-07-2012 09:47 AM)lucradis Wrote:  I hate cell phone culture. I hate people who drive and cell phone. I hate people who answer non emergancy calls while with someone else and who leave the loud ringer on at all times even in restaurants an then take forever to answer it.
These are two of my biggest pet peeves. I hate being in a waiting room somewhere and instead of getting up and walking outside to have a phone call people just blabber out loud at the top of their lungs while everyone else sits there silently. It seems rude to me, but I guess those people don't see it that way.

"A man who dares waste an hour of his life has not discovered the value of life." - Charles Darwin
[+] 2 users Like HDT's post
19-07-2012, 10:36 AM
Didn't you know they are special and deserve to act as they wish no matter the circumstance? Also they can park in the middle of two spaces and stick out into the rest of the lot instead of pulling in all the way.

19-07-2012, 11:02 AM
Meh. It's just social evolution.

People probably said the same thing about automobiles when they first became affordable and replaced the bicycle.

People probably said the same thing about television when it became affordable and replaced radio.

I've never understood the concept of "holding out" or the feigned thought process that holding out makes you better, more authentic, and more unique.

It's kind of like in Mortal Kombat when people complain about people who "spam" moves. They argue that they aren't playing "fairly" or they are "cheap". The person who complains about this will inevitably remain stuck at a lower skill level until they adopt the better, more efficient way to play. Their play style isn't "pure"; it's outdated and ineffective.

Just my 2 cents.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
19-07-2012, 01:17 PM
(19-07-2012 11:02 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  Meh. It's just social evolution.

People probably said the same thing about automobiles when they first became affordable and replaced the bicycle.

And now people are so attached to their cars, they drive 2 blocks over to the store.

Quote:People probably said the same thing about television when it became affordable and replaced radio.

And now we sit around glued to them, watching "reality" shows about socialite hookers with their daddy's money while life passes us by.

Sometimes there's a good reason to complain.

Quote:I've never understood the concept of "holding out" or the feigned thought process that holding out makes you better, more authentic, and more unique.

There's nothing wrong with the technology itself. But human beings are shallow, vain creatures and new technology makes it more apparent. I hold out to set an example that we don't need to clutch our phones until our knuckles are white, checking it every 5 seconds in a pathetic need to validate their existence.

Quote:It's kind of like in Mortal Kombat when people complain about people who "spam" moves. They argue that they aren't playing "fairly" or they are "cheap". The person who complains about this will inevitably remain stuck at a lower skill level until they adopt the better, more efficient way to play. Their play style isn't "pure"; it's outdated and ineffective.

So YOU'RE the asshole. Every time I play Starcraft 2 and someone cheeses me and ruins the game, I'm going to assume it's you. There have always been ways to exploit games to win, while ruining the game for both players in the process. Crouching in a corner spamming kick may increase your win rate, but it's boring and removes all the fun. What I'm hearing is that we should just do whatever is best for ourselves, and to hell with everyone else. Answer your phone loudly in a crowded room. Text while walking into traffic and then glare at whoever dares to almost hit you. And exploit every game so that it's better for you.

"Ain't got no last words to say, yellow streak right up my spine. The gun in my mouth was real and the taste blew my mind."

"We see you cry. We turn your head. Then we slap your face. We see you try. We see you fail. Some things never change."
[+] 2 users Like Buddy Christ's post