Does quantum mechanics destroy non-contradiction?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-01-2014, 02:21 PM
Does quantum mechanics destroy non-contradiction?
My knowledge of quantum mechanics is very limited and mostly comes from The Science of Discworld series. In it was the suggestion that an electron may spin up and down at the same time. Does this destroy the law of non-contradiction?

If spin up is A, down would see to be the opposite, not-A.
If an electron is spinning up and down simultaneously it is spinning A and not-A. What is the spin on the electron? A and not-A.

I ask because I'm arguing on Youtube using logical contradictions and if this destroys non-contradiction the argument dies.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
10-01-2014, 02:30 PM
RE: Does quantum mechanics destroy non-contradiction?
First of all, don't argue on Youtube, it's a waste of time.

Secondly, no, because quantum mechanics doesn't operate by the rules of logic we are used to. It's fundamentally structured around probabilities, not causality.

Attacking contradictions in topics that follow conventional logic is still a valid practice.

[Image: giphy.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Tartarus Sauce's post
10-01-2014, 02:46 PM
(10-01-2014 02:30 PM)Tartarus Sauce Wrote:  First of all, don't argue on Youtube, it's a waste of time.

So is listening to comedy shows. Big Grin I do it for the same reason. Tearing apart the arguments of the theists there is funny, and I get to come up with the 'Back to the Future Car Proof of the Non-Existence of the God of the Bible' which I wouldn't come up with if someone on youtube weren't a colossal idiot.

Still, thanks for the other part. I was worried my Delorean argument had a gaping hole. Maybe it still does, but I can rest assured no one on Youtube will find it. Tongue
10-01-2014, 04:21 PM
A superposition of quantum states (with respect to a certain measurement/basis) is in no way equivalent to "being" in more than one state simultaneous, where "being" is read as in classical physics...

For that matter, one can't directly measure two simultaneous values of a given system. Non-contradiction is still assumed (and demonstrable!).

... this is my signature!
[+] 2 users Like cjlr's post