Does skepticism alone have any merit?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-04-2013, 11:27 PM
Does skepticism alone have any merit?
Atheism in general is mainly skepticism of certain beliefs that are prevalent in society. Does being skeptical alone do anything positive for society? As a communist and an atheist I can see how communism provides a full practical ends to this skepticism of modern society. However, most atheists are content with just the skepticism part, if so, how does skepticism alone help or make society better?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
01-05-2013, 03:54 AM
RE: Does skepticism alone have any merit?
Rational skepticism keeps the mind clear of unfounded beliefs. I recommend it. Thumbsup

[Image: 10289811_592837817482059_8815379025397103823_n.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 4 users Like houseofcantor's post
01-05-2013, 04:23 AM
(01-05-2013 03:54 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  Rational skepticism keeps the mind clear of unfounded beliefs. I recommend it. Thumbsup

Could it not be said that Rationality is based upon "truth".

Define "truth" Drinking Beverage

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
You are your own emphasis.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
[+] 1 user Likes bemore's post
01-05-2013, 04:29 AM
(30-04-2013 11:27 PM)I and I Wrote:  how does skepticism alone help or make society better?

I personally think that you have a choice. You either get told/shown/you copy how to think, act, feel (and this applies to everybody to varying degrees, there is no "other") or you can decide for yourself and evolve and nurture your own unique "reality tunnel".

To "believe" may mean you "dis-believe" others, which goes against skepticism and is a vicious circle.

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
You are your own emphasis.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
01-05-2013, 04:29 AM
Skepticism alone?

Consider

Maybe... but I'm skeptical.

[+] 3 users Like DLJ's post
01-05-2013, 04:49 AM
(01-05-2013 04:23 AM)bemore Wrote:  Define "truth" Drinking Beverage

I love my Gwynnies! Heart Big Grin Banana_zorro Tongue

Yes, I have officially overdosed on that poor girl. Blush

[Image: 10289811_592837817482059_8815379025397103823_n.jpg]
01-05-2013, 05:29 AM
Re: Does skepticism alone have any merit?
Scepticism in the form of the scientific method builds space stations. Does any other approach to the question of "what is true" have any merit? ;-)
01-05-2013, 10:20 AM
(01-05-2013 05:29 AM)Hafnof Wrote:  Scepticism in the form of the scientific method builds space stations. Does any other approach to the question of "what is true" have any merit? ;-)

Being skeptical, then applying it to to a practical project like space travel doesn't count as skepticism (alone).
01-05-2013, 02:19 PM
(01-05-2013 10:20 AM)I and I Wrote:  
(01-05-2013 05:29 AM)Hafnof Wrote:  Scepticism in the form of the scientific method builds space stations. Does any other approach to the question of "what is true" have any merit? ;-)

Being skeptical, then applying it to to a practical project like space travel doesn't count as skepticism (alone).

Skepticism is a tool, a manner of thought and inquiry. It does not stand alone, it is used in the pursuit of knowledge.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
01-05-2013, 02:35 PM (This post was last modified: 01-05-2013 06:40 PM by PoolBoyG.)
1. I want to stress vehemently that atheism does no mean scepticism.

You can have very irrational, and non sceptical atheists. Scepticism is one way (and possibly the only correct way) of becoming an atheist.

Now, how does scepticism aid society?

2. SCEPTICISM leads to a more rational and empathetic society. How much of societies ills is a result of non sceptical people believing in blatant lies of (pro) extremism, racism, sexism, homophobia, etc? If people were more sceptical of these claims, society would be more rational, and more empathetic.

Note: scepticism does not mean "conspiracy theories". Scepticism is reserving judgement until truth and evidence are sufficient to make rational judgements. And those judgements are altered once additional truths and evidence are made apparent.