Does skepticism alone have any merit?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-05-2013, 03:00 PM
RE: Does skepticism alone have any merit?
Look at that bear! Isn't he cute! Looks absolutely huggable! He looks like my friend. I know that Smoky the Bear is my friend. But I'm skeptical. Still, he's very big and has sharp claws. I'm kind of skeptical that he really is my friend. . . Now that I've done a little reasearch, I've found that bears have killed people! Glad that my skepical brain suggested I back away.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Ameron1963's post
01-05-2013, 05:44 PM
The skeptic is the lame atheist, IMO.

DISCLAIMER: If you find a message from me offensive, inappropriate, or disruptive, please ignore it.
If you don't know how to ignore a message, complain to me and I will be happy to demonstrate.

[Image: tta.php]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-05-2013, 08:44 PM
I'm skeptical of this question and its merits.
01-05-2013, 09:07 PM
(30-04-2013 11:27 PM)I and I Wrote:  As a communist and an atheist~

Ur not doin it rite....

The beginning of wisdom is to call things by their right names. - Chinese Proverb
[+] 1 user Likes bbeljefe's post
01-05-2013, 09:48 PM
(01-05-2013 02:35 PM)poolboyg88 Wrote:  1. I want to stress vehemently that atheism does no mean scepticism.

You can have very irrational, and non sceptical atheists. Scepticism is one way (and possibly the only correct way) of becoming an atheist.

Now, how does scepticism aid society?

2. SCEPTICISM leads to a more rational and empathetic society. How much of societies ills is a result of non sceptical people believing in blatant lies of (pro) extremism, racism, sexism, homophobia, etc? If people were more sceptical of these claims, society would be more rational, and more empathetic.

Note: scepticism does not mean "conspiracy theories". Scepticism is reserving judgement until truth and evidence are sufficient to make rational judgements. And those judgements are altered once additional truths and evidence are made apparent.
This. skepticism is withholding your judgment on a matter until you have evidence to support something. It keeps you from being taken advantage of, it keeps you from being a victim of snake oil salesmen, and so on. It keeps you from blindly believing things.

I also want to say skepticism has fuckall to do with the definition of atheism. I agree with poolboy that it's the only GOOD reason to become an atheist, but atheist only means "doesn't believe in god(s)." It makes no comment about how you arrived at that conclusion. There are many nonskeptical atheists out there, ones who believe in all sorts of paranormal and conspiracy crap for no good reason.
01-05-2013, 11:10 PM
(01-05-2013 09:48 PM)amyb Wrote:  
(01-05-2013 02:35 PM)poolboyg88 Wrote:  1. I want to stress vehemently that atheism does no mean scepticism.

You can have very irrational, and non sceptical atheists. Scepticism is one way (and possibly the only correct way) of becoming an atheist.

Now, how does scepticism aid society?

2. SCEPTICISM leads to a more rational and empathetic society. How much of societies ills is a result of non sceptical people believing in blatant lies of (pro) extremism, racism, sexism, homophobia, etc? If people were more sceptical of these claims, society would be more rational, and more empathetic.

Note: scepticism does not mean "conspiracy theories". Scepticism is reserving judgement until truth and evidence are sufficient to make rational judgements. And those judgements are altered once additional truths and evidence are made apparent.
This. skepticism is withholding your judgment on a matter until you have evidence to support something. It keeps you from being taken advantage of, it keeps you from being a victim of snake oil salesmen, and so on. It keeps you from blindly believing things.

I also want to say skepticism has fuckall to do with the definition of atheism. I agree with poolboy that it's the only GOOD reason to become an atheist, but atheist only means "doesn't believe in god(s)." It makes no comment about how you arrived at that conclusion. There are many nonskeptical atheists out there, ones who believe in all sorts of paranormal and conspiracy crap for no good reason.

I agree, there are many atheists on here that aren't the least bit skeptical when it comes to politics. Many people here believe that drones are for killing the baddies.....Drinking Beverage
01-05-2013, 11:12 PM
(01-05-2013 11:10 PM)I and I Wrote:  
(01-05-2013 09:48 PM)amyb Wrote:  This. skepticism is withholding your judgment on a matter until you have evidence to support something. It keeps you from being taken advantage of, it keeps you from being a victim of snake oil salesmen, and so on. It keeps you from blindly believing things.

I agree, there are many atheists on here that aren't the least bit skeptical when it comes to politics. Many people here believe that drones are for killing the baddies.....Drinking Beverage

Who believes that?

[Image: giphy.gif]
03-05-2013, 11:49 AM
This new member, "Liberal Strawmen."
Don't tell me you haven't seen him around, he's all over the politics threads.

Humanists of West Florida
GC CoR
P'cola Skeptic in thePub
GC Freethinker