Does someone know the term for...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-07-2014, 01:07 PM
Does someone know the term for...
I had the theism/atheism convo with someone and agreed on a lot of things. However we differed on what happens when you die. I said idk, as usual. This person believes that the spirit/your consciousness/"what makes you you" lives on. I asked well, how can u know that? This person said they had an experience and because of it she believes the consciousness lives on. She interpreted events to mean something, and more importantly she FELT it. She said it was a feeling that she's never experienced before. Based on this feeling she thinks the spirit lives on.

This could be comparable to the Holy Spirit I guess. I'm just wondering if this situation has a name. For example, when someone is brought up to believe something it's called indoctrination. Any thoughts? Maybe someone could play devils advocate I can't seem to understand the other side of the story. It seems like some nuts and supernatural shit to me, and that's not rational. Idk

"If you cannot explain it simply, you don't understand it enough" -Albert Einstein
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
17-07-2014, 01:10 PM
RE: Does someone know the term for...
Confirmation bias, maybe?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confirmation_bias
17-07-2014, 01:58 PM
(17-07-2014 01:10 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  Confirmation bias, maybe?

Yes, but also a false memory constructed from cultural expectation.

Whatever the actual original experience was - if there even was one - it was obviously fitted conveniently into her worldview.

... this is my signature!
17-07-2014, 06:40 PM
(17-07-2014 01:10 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  Confirmation bias, maybe?

Wishful thinking. And fear.Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
17-07-2014, 07:23 PM (This post was last modified: 17-07-2014 08:00 PM by Bucky Ball.)
(17-07-2014 01:07 PM)smileXsmileXsmile Wrote:  I had the theism/atheism convo with someone and agreed on a lot of things. However we differed on what happens when you die. I said idk, as usual. This person believes that the spirit/your consciousness/"what makes you you" lives on. I asked well, how can u know that? This person said they had an experience and because of it she believes the consciousness lives on. She interpreted events to mean something, and more importantly she FELT it. She said it was a feeling that she's never experienced before. Based on this feeling she thinks the spirit lives on.

This could be comparable to the Holy Spirit I guess. I'm just wondering if this situation has a name. For example, when someone is brought up to believe something it's called indoctrination. Any thoughts? Maybe someone could play devils advocate I can't seem to understand the other side of the story. It seems like some nuts and supernatural shit to me, and that's not rational. Idk

What "experience" did she have ?
Her consciousness is emergent from her brain, and it's processes. Without a live brain, well oxygenated, there is no consciousness. There is nothing at all to support her fairy tale.

If it was a "near death" experience, they have been debunked.

Ask her what in her experience did she see that was completely and totally out of the realm of her normal experience and/or something she had never seen before. Nothing I bet. If it had music, I just bet it was the kind of music she thinks of a "Christian" music.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
29-07-2014, 06:01 PM (This post was last modified: 29-07-2014 06:29 PM by smileXsmileXsmile.)
Ah ha. I found the term. It's called a Devine revelation: communication of knowledge to man by a divine or supernatural agency

"If you cannot explain it simply, you don't understand it enough" -Albert Einstein
29-07-2014, 06:17 PM
Seems like regular "Spirituality" to me.

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
29-07-2014, 06:20 PM
The brain is fascinating.
29-07-2014, 07:02 PM
The Holy Spirit feelings of joy and happiness are simply attributed to neurochemicals. Dostoyevsky would experience this "God-knowing" euphoria just prior to an epileptic fit. Obviously (and admittedly), he wasn't experiencing any diety.

Interestingly, near-death experiences vary by culture. So, either afterlives also vary (yah... as if), or one simply experiences what they expect to.

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRcmPL4codsbtiJhpFav3r...-w_49ttW6a]
[+] 1 user Likes Jeffasaurus's post
30-07-2014, 10:25 AM
(29-07-2014 06:20 PM)Fodder_From_The_Truth Wrote:  The brain is fascinating.

Yes, it is. Too bad people can't appreciate it for what it is without tacking on a bunch of make believe to make things "more interesting".