Does the United States still have a functional democracy (or republic)?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-05-2014, 10:47 AM (This post was last modified: 23-05-2014 10:51 AM by TrainWreck.)
RE: Does the United States still have a functional democracy (or republic)?
(23-05-2014 07:41 AM)Chas Wrote:  No one actually believes that, no one has professed that, you must be hallucinating that.

I think imlemuel has suggested that in his statement. He did not have to describe the religious as lacking critical thinking if he did not want to suggest that non-religious are more critical and more apt to offer reasoned solutions to social problems that religious people cannot see because they are in the "fish bowl," that non-religious can rise above.

I don't know why you are running cover for imlemuel - is he offering you cover for this question that you are avoiding? Laughat

(22-05-2014 12:23 PM)TrainWreck Wrote:  
(22-05-2014 12:17 PM)Chas Wrote:  Tell me, what is it that you think we believe we are achieving?
1) Guarding reason from the Christians debasement of it.

2) Making the world safe for atheists to live free and not oppressed.

What do you think you're doing???

Humanism - ontological doctrine that posits that humans define reality
Theism - ontological doctrine that posits a supernatural entity creates and defines reality
Atheism - political doctrine opposed to theist doctrine in public policy
I am right, and you are wrong - I hope you die peacefullyCool
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
26-05-2014, 02:44 AM
There is almost nothing of the Republic left in America, it's been ash since long before the last century. Hamilton dealt it it's first, and arguably most insidious, blow but it drew it's last breath under the boots of Sherman and the men he worked for.

As for Democracy...I think America has a Weekend at Bernie's type situation going on. It's a rotting corpse but it still gets paraded out when it's useful or necessary by the people who need the fiction to be maintained.
[+] 2 users Like WhiskeyDebates's post
28-05-2014, 04:26 PM
Chas isn't, "running cover" for me. He's simply pointing out that you're claiming I said something I never did.

I don't mean to suggest that the religious LACK critical thinking, only that their religion discourages it's use. As a result it is atrophied, stunted, and in many cases twisted.

You're right, I DO think that the,"non-religious are more critical and more apt to offer reasoned solutions," but I'm hardly so naive to think that "...when the religious stop being religious that, that will solve all the problems." It would merely remove one of the thicker layers of stupidity.

We'd still have a long way to go, but at least we'd have made a sensible start.
30-05-2014, 03:05 PM
Why wait for that to happen? Why not start working on the problems in the secular world? Right now, I would say that government and education are inefficient for the advanced technological world that we have now, and the solving these problems by atheists would be the premier offering to theists that atheists think better than theists. Big Grin

No???

Humanism - ontological doctrine that posits that humans define reality
Theism - ontological doctrine that posits a supernatural entity creates and defines reality
Atheism - political doctrine opposed to theist doctrine in public policy
I am right, and you are wrong - I hope you die peacefullyCool
13-06-2014, 01:59 AM
First of all, your notion that the government hasn't changed much over the past 100 or so years is quite wrong. I'd like to address this by saying that the United States has in NO WAY a functional democracy for pretty much everything Federal. In 1976, the Supreme Court ruled that money is speech and that corporations were citizens with the right to exercise their right to free 'speech'. This resulted in large corporations giving money to Congressmen so that they would pass laws that benefited the corporations. This still goes on today and is one of the main reasons why renewable energy sources are not nearly as big as fossil fuels, since the Government has been bought off by oil companies so that they wouldn't give incentives for using renewable energy. This is just one of the many issues caused by money in politics and I can safely say that money in politics is pretty much the only thing that is killing true democracy and supporting what is basically an oligarchy in Washington.
13-06-2014, 03:29 AM
(13-06-2014 01:59 AM)TokyoRoyalty Wrote:  First of all, your notion that the government hasn't changed much over the past 100 or so years is quite wrong. I'd like to address this by saying that the United States has in NO WAY a functional democracy for pretty much everything Federal. In 1976, the Supreme Court ruled that money is speech and that corporations were citizens with the right to exercise their right to free 'speech'. This resulted in large corporations giving money to Congressmen so that they would pass laws that benefited the corporations. This still goes on today and is one of the main reasons why renewable energy sources are not nearly as big as fossil fuels, since the Government has been bought off by oil companies so that they wouldn't give incentives for using renewable energy. This is just one of the many issues caused by money in politics and I can safely say that money in politics is pretty much the only thing that is killing true democracy and supporting what is basically an oligarchy in Washington.

The way the government is structured and works on it's current election cycle have been more or less the same for the last 100 years. Apart from the strengthening of the federal government during FDR's time, it's been a smooth trend of the same patterns.

Yes money in other ways has been able to effect outcomes in better with the influence of mass media, but money was already a prominent factor prior to that.

In order to actually come to an answer, you would need to define what a functional democracy/republic is... and explain how the US had one in the past. By some concepts of functional, you could say it never was either.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson