Does the bible being unchanged= divine inspiration?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-09-2016, 03:16 PM
Does the bible being unchanged= divine inspiration?
I see this argument from theist and recently in a comment on a YouTube video that went something like this: "Don't be ignorant. Every serious historian believes Jesus existed, that he was baptized by John the Baptist and that he was crucified. If you start being intellectually dishonest it just makes you sound bigoted and makes those you are arguing with sound more credible.

"The word of God has been changed so many times for political reason"

There are manuscripts dating back all the way to 200 AD that can prove the Bibles of today are based on virtually the same Greek/Hebrew texts they had near the time of Christ. They have thousands of manuscripts dating before the King James version was ever written.

Some people simply don't believe that Jesus Christ was the son of God. But other people throw out bad facts that just make them sound bitter. Don't do that." Can anyone help me out with this?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
04-09-2016, 03:18 PM
RE: Does the bible being unchanged= divine inspiration?
Richard Carrier is a serious historian and he does not think jesus was anything more than a mythical creation of primitive minds.

So the premise is wrong from the start.

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
[+] 1 user Likes Minimalist's post
04-09-2016, 03:29 PM
(04-09-2016 03:16 PM)1994californication Wrote:  I see this argument from theist and recently in a comment on a YouTube video that went something like this: "Don't be ignorant. Every serious historian believes Jesus existed, that he was baptized by John the Baptist and that he was crucified. If you start being intellectually dishonest it just makes you sound bigoted and makes those you are arguing with sound more credible.

There are manuscripts dating back all the way to 200 AD that can prove the Bibles of today are based on virtually the same Greek/Hebrew texts they had near the time of Christ. They have thousands of manuscripts dating before the King James version was ever written.

Some people simply don't believe that Jesus Christ was the son of God. But other people throw out bad facts that just make them sound bitter. Don't do that." Can anyone help me out with this?

The Christians believe that up until the point when Jesus was alleged to have been born that Judaism was the right religion. They believe that the Torah was transmitted accurately from Moses to Jesus. So if there were no changes in the Christian bible between the time of Jesus until today, then we'd see a perfect match between the Christian bible and the Hebrew bible.

I'd ask your friend to examine some of the translation discrepancies that do most definitely exist between these two bibles and to possibly consider the motives for making the little tweaks and changes to the words.
[+] 4 users Like Aliza's post
04-09-2016, 04:29 PM
The Bible claims inspiration not inerrancy.

Scripture has been changed many times. The NIV leaves out massive chunks of the NT due to those verses not being in older manuscripts.

The last line in the "Lord's Prayer" was added later, and is not in older translations like the KJV or the DRA.

This doesn't affect inspiration.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
[+] 4 users Like kingschosen's post
04-09-2016, 04:54 PM
The original New Testament is lost. Period.
There are many many thousands of variants.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 4 users Like Bucky Ball's post
04-09-2016, 05:07 PM
(04-09-2016 04:29 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  The Bible claims inspiration not inerrancy.

Scripture has been changed many times. The NIV leaves out massive chunks of the NT due to those verses not being in older manuscripts.

The last line in the "Lord's Prayer" was added later, and is not in older translations like the KJV or the DRA.

This doesn't affect inspiration.

I've studied it. If it is inspired by an all powerful being, why does it contradict itself constantly, go off on random tangents, not follow any kind of literary form, has two sets of 10 commandments, condemns its own orders them gives those orders etc etc etc.

Worst. Book. I. Ever. Read.

Why is god such a shitty inspiration??? Zeus was better.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 6 users Like Banjo's post
04-09-2016, 05:24 PM
(04-09-2016 05:07 PM)Banjo Wrote:  Why is god such a shitty inspiration??? Zeus was better.

Forget Zeus. For a deity that was truly stellar at inspiration, look at Ourania.

*flees for dear punning life*

"If I ignore the alternatives, the only option is God; I ignore them; therefore God." -- The Syllogism of Fail
[+] 1 user Likes Reltzik's post
04-09-2016, 05:29 PM
Unchanged for 30,000 + versions ?

I don't think that word means what you think it does

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
[+] 2 users Like Rahn127's post
04-09-2016, 05:34 PM
(04-09-2016 05:29 PM)Rahn127 Wrote:  Unchanged for 30,000 + versions ?

I don't think that word means what you think it does

Contrafibularities!

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 1 user Likes Banjo's post
04-09-2016, 06:06 PM
(04-09-2016 03:16 PM)1994californication Wrote:  I see this argument from theist and recently in a comment on a YouTube video that went something like this: "Don't be ignorant. Every serious historian believes Jesus existed, that he was baptized by John the Baptist and that he was crucified. If you start being intellectually dishonest it just makes you sound bigoted and makes those you are arguing with sound more credible.

There had to be a person but more likely a group of splinter Hebrews looking to separate and distinguish themselves from the old ways. But under no circumstances do babies get born without a second set of DNA and humans do not survive the death myth as the bible implied happened.

There is NO contemporary evidence outside the bible of the character the bible claims in the period it claims. The first books were written way after the fact. And Josephus is also way after the fact. That says to me the NT writers were slapping in that character name to a movement after the fact.

Raising the dead, ascension into heaven motifs, and purity motifs at birth are not an invention of Christianity, those motifs existed in polytheism prior.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Brian37's post