Does the history of known fiction debunk the "Interpret the bible" arguments?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-11-2014, 03:56 AM
RE: Does the history of known fiction debunk the "Interpret the bible" arguments?
(17-11-2014 10:02 PM)Shadow Fox Wrote:  
(17-11-2014 07:38 PM)Ace Wrote:  allow me to shorten the OP

primitive people are dumb and stupidity is hereditary and evolution has yet to wipe it out from the gene pool due to prevalent healthcare ensuring unnecessary traits gets passed on
and no one lived happily ever after THE END Drinking Beverage

That....has absolutely nothing to do with what I said in the least. Did you even read the same post?

Let me shorten it in bullet points for you.
  • Fictional stories did not exist in books in the ways they do now.
  • Everyone believed that if it was in a book, it was a literal account for what the book was about.
  • Because of this, everything that anyone ever wrote in the bible was a literal text, since fiction and metaphoracal writting was basically non existent.
  • Therefor, since people today do not realize this, this could be the reason why people think we should "interpret" the bible in some way.
  • However, since the original text was not written in a metaphorical way, we cannot do this.
  • Therefor, any argument revolving around interpreting the bible "or most other holy books" cannot be made as they are literal.

I said nothing about people in history being stupid, nor did I mention anything about genetics or evolution. This is not ambiguity, this is flat out lying and making up your own argument and trying to pass it off as my own, hoping no one read what I actually wrote. Hence the +1 from DLJ you got was from him not reading my full wall o' text.

let me rewrite it
people believe stuff in a particular way
their decedents believe it in the same way
^ this is still a trait found in some people even now and isn't going to change that quickly
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
18-11-2014, 01:50 PM
RE: Does the history of known fiction debunk the "Interpret the bible" arguments?
(17-11-2014 06:51 PM)Shadow Fox Wrote:  People back then had no concept of fiction or hidden messages or interpreting things differently. Books were the most literal and serious thing in the entire world.

I think they were more creative with their writing than you give them credit for:

I am not accountable to any God. I am accountable to myself - and not because I think I am God as some theists would try to assert - but because, no matter what actions I take, thoughts I think, or words I utter, I have to be able to live with myself.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply