Does the internet show the worst in people, or who they really are?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-11-2014, 09:24 AM
RE: Does the internet show the worst in people, or who they really are?
My current understanding of people's behavior is that one does what makes them feel better and moves them away from suffering. An individual's perception of what choices in behavior they have available to them and how those behaviors ultimately move them towards feeling better and away from suffering (both short term and long term) comes from their own experiences. Some of these thoughts that lead to the choice are conscious, and some are subconscious thoughts that often stem from early childhood experiences.

Using that formula, for me anyway, helps explain most of the behavior I see, including those nasty/racists (in my view) posts. To the other person, a) they were raised in a way to feel that expression was in someway comforting to them, b) they may have experienced that such behavior does cause suffering in others and they may even suffered themselves via guilt, however on the internet, they are not able to see that suffering in others directly, so they don't feel the guilt as directly, thus the behavior makes them feel better without the suffering, last c) they are not at the point of mindfulness that they can see any of this, too much remains in the subconscious, and thus are not able to truly empathize with another human being, instead letting someone else's actions hit a nerve in themselves that they feel ( perhaps subconsciously ) they have no other way to make themselves feel better than to lash back.

Anyway, with what's in the news right now, it seems to me there's a lot of hurt on both sides, and not a whole lot of mindfulness and empathy for other human beings ( on both sides ). But then I see, mixed in with the ugliness from time to time, people on both sides that truly do have the awareness and empathy, so that makes me feel better.

"Spirituality was born to help humans with their mere existence." - i made it up.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
28-11-2014, 09:59 AM
RE: Does the internet show the worst in people, or who they really are?
(28-11-2014 08:08 AM)Chas Wrote:  Is that Vosur viewing typical TTA posts? Consider
I thought I was Latvian, not German. Dodgy Tongue

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply