Does the meaning of "raise someone" come from ancient Rome ?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-04-2014, 08:22 PM (This post was last modified: 24-04-2014 09:13 PM by HU.Junyuan.)
Does the meaning of "raise someone" come from ancient Rome ?
I read this in a post a moment ago, which said that during the time of ancient Rome, when a child was born, he/she was then put on the ground in front of the father.

Due to the case that ancient Romans didn't have wedding ceremonies to distinguish a married couple from other men and women, having children was more like a duty rather than a natural thing, this was then a critical moment for the father to decide whether or not he would acknowledge his relation with this new born baby. If he raised the baby up from the ground, then a legal relation was then established. If he walked away ...

So now when I heard the song of "you raised me up", I started to feel pretty strange and funny. The singers sounded to me no longer as people showing their gratification of being 'saved', but rather some illegitimate sons crying in joy for not having been forsaken.

Quite some ode sung to the easily irritated invisible angry man.

Interesting.

Want something? Then do something.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes HU.Junyuan's post
24-04-2014, 08:37 PM
RE: Does the meaning of "raise someone" come from ancient Rome ?
Your information is 100% bogus. Roman marriages were a huge event. Take two simple rituals for example.

The husband carried his wife into his house because if the wife fell it was considered a bad omen.

The wedding cake was an offering.

I could recommend various books, but for your purposes go to this page and listen to podcast #69.

http://www.learnoutloud.com/Podcast-Dire...ast/25263#

Recently suffered loss of intelligence. Had little to begin with! I should not miss it.
24-04-2014, 09:11 PM
(24-04-2014 08:37 PM)Banjo Wrote:  Your information is 100% bogus. Roman marriages were a huge event. Take two simple rituals for example.

The husband carried his wife into his house because if the wife fell it was considered a bad omen.

The wedding cake was an offering.

I could recommend various books, but for your purposes go to this page and listen to podcast #69.

http://www.learnoutloud.com/Podcast-Dire...ast/25263#

Um, what happens before 445 B.C., the time when lex duodecim tabularum appeared ?

100% bogus ? I am not sure about this.

You know, at the beginning of Rome's exsitance, on weddings, the bride was shared ... hence "you raise me up" was quite important.

24-04-2014, 09:16 PM
Mate at the beginning of Rome wives were stolen.

When you speak of the Roman empire you speak about a time frame spanning 753 BCE to 1453 AD.

I am speaking of an era spanning the well known Republic era through to 330 AD.

Can you be more specific?

Recently suffered loss of intelligence. Had little to begin with! I should not miss it.
24-04-2014, 09:38 PM
(24-04-2014 09:16 PM)Banjo Wrote:  Mate at the beginning of Rome wives were stolen.

When you speak of the Roman empire you speak about a time frame spanning 753 BCE to 1453 AD.

I am speaking of an era spanning the well known Republic era through to 330 AD.

Can you be more specific?

Let's talk about the Republic Era then.

During this period,

was raising a newborn laid on before him up the privalige of a Roman father, a gesture showing that he would not throw the child away ?

Before the lex duodecim tabularum, do you have some evidience at hand to show that there already had been the ritual of sharing wedding cakes ?

24-04-2014, 09:50 PM
To be honest I am not really up to it. All my books are behind about 100 drums. I simply lack the physical strength to get to them and wade through them.

Have you listened to that podcast? As far as I recall there were many rituals depending on one's station in life. Patrician, plebian, freedman, slave etc, different faiths...

There is a Roman history forum I used to post at years ago. The people are great. Better to ask there.

Sorry normally I'd be helpful but I am a wreck.
Rome

13-06-2014, 02:04 AM
I don't think it was about marriage status. Ancient Rome was a patriarchal and brutal place, where a father had almost absolute legal authority in his house. They also didn't have much in the way of birth control so basically operated a system of "post birth abortion" - if the child was sickly, or disabled, or if it was simply one too many mouth to feed, or if he didn't like the look of it, they weren't recognised and were abandoned to die. This was one of the main sources of slaves, since they were usually abandoned in specific spots, and anyone who wanted could come along and take them, as a slave. The word for slave "servus or serva" originally meant someone who has been saved or preserved (from death) and came from abandoned babies, prisoners of war, or people selling themselves into slavery because of debts. I think in the mind of an ancient Roman, this was a major moral justification for slavery - these people were dishonoured and should be dead, and if they had had any gumption they would have killed themselves, so didn't deserve to be treated like real people (i.e. male citizens). Seems pretty cruel on a baby to us now, but the margin between life and death was pretty slim in pre-industrial societies and infanticide was common in many cultures.
23-07-2014, 06:54 PM
The number of babies who lived to one year was very slim. It wasn't considered worthy of a funeral unless it made it to 6yr. 35% of woman died in childbirth and the resultant babies usually didn't make it either. Disease was rampant so a man of 25 was considered to have lived a long life. Of those who did, maybe 1% would make it to 70.