Does the word "Islamophobia" make any sence?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-09-2015, 12:16 PM
RE: Does the word "Islamophobia" make any sence?
Yes, it's been peaceful for the past two years, not a single incident of violence that I can remember.

The point is this. If you live in a conformist society, it is generally peaceful because there is no dissent and people "behave". It's a trade off.

Do you want to live in a pluralistic society or inside a cult. The problem is that even in a conformist society, sometimes the crazies need to get hold of some money to support some foreign war they are involved in, and that may be what happened here.

It's also peaceful because there is a huge military presence here, since I am in a military zone. I'm not comparing this with any other country.

This is about whether the word "Islamophobia" is accurate to describe the feelings towards Muslims and I am trying to make the point that it really doesn't matter. I think one has to live inside a Muslim community to understand the mindset of the people and the religion and I think it is entirely fair to use the word because the nature of the religion is something which is likely, maybe even designed, to freak out people who are not inside it. Do you have an "irrational" fear of cults? Islam is a cult. Or are cults "ok"?

The fear of Islam is only "irrational" in the minds of people who don't understand Islam. For those who do, it is second nature to fear it, because it is a scary religion.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
29-09-2015, 12:31 PM
I've lived in two Muslim countries, and my experiences don't comport with your description at all. I'd wager that it has less to do with religion and more to do with having a bunch of jackwads with heavy weaponry maintaining a presence in the neighborhood.
29-09-2015, 01:12 PM
(29-09-2015 11:38 AM)cjlr Wrote:  It doesn't exist in English either. We do at least use mis[o]-* as a prefix.
(cf perhaps the most well-known such constructs, misogyny or misanthropy, although I've seen things like misotheism as well)

That's what I thought too at first, but then I found this. Are those not words that exist in English?

"Behind every great pirate, there is a great butt."
-Guybrush Threepwood-
29-09-2015, 01:55 PM
(29-09-2015 01:12 PM)undergroundp Wrote:  
(29-09-2015 11:38 AM)cjlr Wrote:  It doesn't exist in English either. We do at least use mis[o]-* as a prefix.
(cf perhaps the most well-known such constructs, misogyny or misanthropy, although I've seen things like misotheism as well)

That's what I thought too at first, but then I found this. Are those not words that exist in English?

Something like iatromisia at least kinda seems like it might be a word, but there's no source give and I couldn't find it in any actual dictionaries. An erroneous neologism if anything, I suppose.

So, just get enough people to use it, and it'll be a word in English.

... this is my signature!