Does thee R/C?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-06-2015, 06:41 PM
Does thee R/C?
Any radio controlled types here????

I've been designing, building and flying RC aircraft for going on 30 years.

I've flown stuff as big as 16 feet in wingspan, 42 lbs. I've clocked some of my designs at over 250 mph in level flight. (on a 30 inch wingspan... you gotta be seriously good to pull that one off).

I haven't done a lot of flying in the last few years. My current stable of planes simply hang from the garage ceiling gathering dust.

Earlier today - I pulled down one. A "Twist" --an "ARF" (almost ready to fly) mid-wing sport plane I bought back in the 90's. It's got a Saito .90 four stroke on it - and it's still got the prop on it that I put on it the day I first flew it. It needed a good cleaning.

I checked the batteries -- NiCADs that are the originals to the transmitter and receiver --- over 15 years old -- and they checked out.

I fueled it up -- with fuel also over 15 years old (they recommend throwing anything over a year old out...)

Even my glow start battery checked out --- and it's been over a year since I last charged it.......

The engine fired on the first crank of the engine (using an electric starter). It idled perfectly.

I took it out to the runway - and executed a very acceptable takeoff.... Climbed out, and got into a pattern around the field. Did a few rolls, loops, Immelmans, stall turns, flew inverted, did a Lomcevak or two (you have to see it -- it's Czech for "headache" )... and finished with a nice landing right at my feet......

Not enough... turned around - took off and did it again.....

Yep.... I still know how to do this shit...

Cool

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post
29-06-2015, 08:29 PM
RE: Does thee R/C?
What fantastic timing.
I was just about to buy this. Want to get into RC. I've wanted to build a quadcopter for ages now (totally before they became cool but w/e) but never had the money. I have the money now but haven't gotten around to it. I might get back into that idea.

[Image: oscar.png]
29-06-2015, 08:35 PM
No, not RC. But when I was recovering from a serious injury I built a few static models. Here's two of them. At the time I was not mobile enough to build anything radio controlled.

[Image: p40bdc_1.jpg]

[Image: p40bdc_2.jpg]

[Image: gracedc_2.jpg]

[Image: gracedc_1.jpg]

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 1 user Likes Banjo's post
30-06-2015, 05:13 AM
Very nice warbirds. Static are cool - because you don't have to make compromises that you need to R/C them...

I've built several warbirds - P-51, P-38, F4U (Corsair)...

The most challenging was a Guillows stick model made for rubberband power free flight - of a P61 Black Widow -- a late WWII twin engine fighter/bomber --- that had a wingspan of 24 inches... I managed to install 4 channel -Elevator, rudder/nosewheel, twin rudder, aileron and throttle for two Norvel .061 engines.

All up weight including two full fuel tanks (1 oz) was 32 oz.

I accomplished it by using 4 micro servos in the center pod - and using pull/pull kevlar cables with tensioning load springs, bellcranks and control wires - all run through a conduit in the center of the wing rib. It was covered in black monocote covering. This was 20 years ago, when micro servos had just came into being.

It flew very well - albeit extremely fast - making it necessary to get the OK from a local airfield - and taking off and landing on the paved runway. Takeoff and landing speeds were probably around 30mph.... The downfall was an engine outage on about the 5th flight takeoff. The torque over was simply too fast to correct for.

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
30-06-2015, 05:18 AM
I never got much into cars -- they seemed too "two dimensional" to me.

I did have fun racing cars for one of the local hobby shops. The owner knew I was a good pilot - and he rigged up one of his faster cars on a two stick radio - instead of the side wheel controller favored by most R/C car drivers. It only took me about a 1/2 hour to get competent with the car......

The other car racers were not amused - and bitched about "sponsored" drivers.......

Humorless twats....

[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post
30-06-2015, 11:42 PM
(30-06-2015 05:13 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Very nice warbirds. Static are cool - because you don't have to make compromises that you need to R/C them...

I've built several warbirds - P-51, P-38, F4U (Corsair)...

The most challenging was a Guillows stick model made for rubberband power free flight - of a P61 Black Widow -- a late WWII twin engine fighter/bomber --- that had a wingspan of 24 inches... I managed to install 4 channel -Elevator, rudder/nosewheel, twin rudder, aileron and throttle for two Norvel .061 engines.

All up weight including two full fuel tanks (1 oz) was 32 oz.

I accomplished it by using 4 micro servos in the center pod - and using pull/pull kevlar cables with tensioning load springs, bellcranks and control wires - all run through a conduit in the center of the wing rib. It was covered in black monocote covering. This was 20 years ago, when micro servos had just came into being.

It flew very well - albeit extremely fast - making it necessary to get the OK from a local airfield - and taking off and landing on the paved runway. Takeoff and landing speeds were probably around 30mph.... The downfall was an engine outage on about the 5th flight takeoff. The torque over was simply too fast to correct for.

Very cool.

I know the Black Widow well. One hell of a night fighter!

I look forward to pic's of your work.

Smile

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
27-08-2015, 07:42 PM
I used to fly a lot. I've still got a sig kadet senior that my dad and I built about 20 years ago. Haven't flown much lately but I'm really into racing 1/10 scale off road besides occasionally playing around with small helicopters. love the rc Cool