Does this argument cause you to facepalm too?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-04-2015, 07:56 PM
Does this argument cause you to facepalm too?
I'm hearing this position more and more from various Theist.

When trying to pin them down on how they have come to know which religion is the 'right' religion; they then assert that all religions are essentially correct. In other words all religions are different interpretations of the same 'eternal divine light'. Like spokes of a wheel all ultimately coming from a single point.

I really don't have a 'great' comeback to this. My main thoughts on this position is that if the theist is willing to dilute their religion (and all other religions) to that magnitude, then the whole claim becomes quite weak. But it makes them feel as if they have rescued God and religion by resorting to such drastic measures. It seems as science is continually putting the squeeze on the bogus claims of religion, some theist have now resorted to revising the concept of religion and God all together. Thus safeguarding their assertion and conviction of a God by in effect making him so nebulous that it becomes nearly impossible to discredit.

This all religions are a manifestation of the same 'eternal light' argument or religous position just makes me nuts for some reason. And I seem to be hearing this or forms of this same principle with increase frequency. Facepalm worthy stuff.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Biolizard's post
08-04-2015, 08:15 PM
RE: Does this argument cause you to facepalm too?
Just invite the theist making that claim to convert to another religion than the one they practice for a little while, preferably the most restrictive and uncomfortable one for them. I mean, they're all right, aren't they? Where's the issue? What problem could they possibly have, given their previous claim?
[+] 9 users Like Esquilax's post
08-04-2015, 09:44 PM
That's a very interesting one. Cause that was one of my steps towards atheism. It really bothered why there are so many religions in the first place? So my next logical step was: well it's probably cause there is one destination, but there are a lot of paths to get there. And only after reading and researching it more and more I came to the conclusion that I don't actually believe in any god at all.
But I think because of the constant culture fusions we keep having this random mixtures of people adopting different parts of different religions that appeals to them. My mum is a great example. She is a russian orthodox, however she hangs out with evangelical missionaries, she was baptised in both orthodox and lutherans churches AND she believes in reincarnation does yoga and all that comes with it. And somehow she can reconcile it all in her head!Huh
[+] 1 user Likes Happy's post
08-04-2015, 09:54 PM
Haven't heard that a lot but I have heard it.

I guess I'd ask them why they all hate each other if its all the same.
[+] 4 users Like Fodder_From_The_Truth's post
08-04-2015, 10:01 PM
If they are all the same, then why do the commandments say not to have any other gods?

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes WillHopp's post
09-04-2015, 01:52 AM
Yeah, I've heard this too.

The problem is it requires such a liberal interpretation of each religion as to ignore most of its core points. So it's not so much they are all "right"; it's that they are all wrong. Therefor taking anything from their doctrines seriously is a waste of time, even for a theist, if they really believe this.

This also points to a God who is either unable or unwilling to sort out all this confusion which leads to problems as bad as wars.

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
[+] 1 user Likes Robvalue's post
09-04-2015, 02:30 AM
Exactly , with that argument you are bound to end up with the common denominator, which is something like "dude, there's something greater than us out there" with no further claims. I also doubt that the person making the argument is comfortable with that. But what are they arguing for anyway? Probably that there is a god first and foremost. Once that is established and the atheist is defeated, the "but my religion is truer" then comes next I suppose.

Quantum Physics: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
09-04-2015, 03:18 AM
Then comes the x-factor contest between fairy tales to see which is the most appealing/impressive.

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
09-04-2015, 03:34 AM
I used.to have that concept when I was a youngster, twas my little heathen brain's attempt to reconcile the vast number of religions. It occurs to me now that such a conception is easily refuted by the extreme amount of contradiction between literally all of the religions; were they mere differing interpretations, one could logically expect consistency in at least the core "fact" of God, but consistency in the basis is not what is seen. Variation at all other counts makes sense for varying interpretations, but the basics should at least mirror each other and they do not.

Does that makes sense? I'm not very clear in the head right now.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
09-04-2015, 04:13 AM
The question is what you mean by "a core fact of God". Unless you specify which properties this God alleged has, it's a bit meaningless. If you call the order behind the laws of nature God, then there maybe is a God, but that's a meaningless insight.

Quantum Physics: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.