Does this argument cause you to facepalm too?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-04-2015, 04:13 AM
RE: Does this argument cause you to facepalm too?
If that's the case how do you determine what the goals are? As various religions have different goals still and different rules. Which rules apply and which ones don't?

Do you have to believe X thing? Which Afterlife is gonna happen? Do you have to "be good" and what determines that value of "good" to be that way?

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
09-04-2015, 04:16 AM
I'm not going to worship "God" no matter what. It's a ridiculous concept, worship. And any being which demands it is not worthy of it. If it wants a sensible relationship with me, I'm happy to do that. But I'm not playing cosmic hide and seek if he's too busy to come and see me.

So really, that's my rebuttal to all religions. I don't care. I'm not worshipping your God, no matter what he has apparently done, or what promises or threats he's directing at me.

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Robvalue's post
09-04-2015, 04:22 AM
(08-04-2015 07:56 PM)Biolizard Wrote:  ...
Thus safeguarding their assertion and conviction of a God by in effect making him so nebulous that it becomes nearly impossible to discredit.

This all religions are a manifestation of the same 'eternal light' argument

So, point out that they are taking a 'deistic' rather than theistic position and ask them what this new form of non-doctrinal or multi-doctrinal position is called ... cos it can't be christianity.

Big Grin

[+] 4 users Like DLJ's post
09-04-2015, 04:24 AM
(08-04-2015 07:56 PM)Biolizard Wrote:  I'm hearing this position more and more from various Theist.

When trying to pin them down on how they have come to know which religion is the 'right' religion; they then assert that all religions are essentially correct. In other words all religions are different interpretations of the same 'eternal divine light'. Like spokes of a wheel all ultimately coming from a single point.

Challenge him/her to find a Christian who believes that Satanism is essentially correct. Point out that many religions are mutually exclusive or claim to be the one and only true religion.
09-04-2015, 04:26 AM
I just thought: they forget that religions are arbitrary. I can make up another religion any time I want. I can say that there are a billion gods, all of which are totally evil. This is billionanity. How can they square this with their religion?

Or would they dismiss mine as "made up"?

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
09-04-2015, 04:29 AM
(09-04-2015 04:26 AM)Robvalue Wrote:  I just thought: they forget that religions are arbitrary. I can make up another religion any time I want. I can say that there are a billion gods, all of which are totally evil. This is billionanity. How can they square this with their religion?

Easy. Jahweh is one evil god amongst many and is jealous as fuck so he's the pack leader.

Wink

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
09-04-2015, 04:35 AM
(08-04-2015 07:56 PM)Biolizard Wrote:  I'm hearing this position more and more from various Theist.

When trying to pin them down on how they have come to know which religion is the 'right' religion; they then assert that all religions are essentially correct. In other words all religions are different interpretations of the same 'eternal divine light'. Like spokes of a wheel all ultimately coming from a single point.

I really don't have a 'great' comeback to this. My main thoughts on this position is that if the theist is willing to dilute their religion (and all other religions) to that magnitude, then the whole claim becomes quite weak. But it makes them feel as if they have rescued God and religion by resorting to such drastic measures. It seems as science is continually putting the squeeze on the bogus claims of religion, some theist have now resorted to revising the concept of religion and God all together. Thus safeguarding their assertion and conviction of a God by in effect making him so nebulous that it becomes nearly impossible to discredit.

This all religions are a manifestation of the same 'eternal light' argument or religous position just makes me nuts for some reason. And I seem to be hearing this or forms of this same principle with increase frequency. Facepalm worthy stuff.

You haven't given religion much thought yourself, have you? If you had this would be a piece of cake for you. Is Satanism a religion? Are religions that require more than one god, the same as monotheist religions? I think that you, AND those theists you mention need a little help, here.
09-04-2015, 04:38 AM
I keep hearing god wants to have a relationship with me.

He has written various different books, mostly depicting how horrible he is and casting himself in contradictory scenarios. He then gets other people to give me those books to read, and attempts no further contact. He waits around for me to search for him, even though he knows exactly where I am. He gives me no way to contact him that I can possibly know is working.

Does this sound like someone interested in having a sensible relationship? Or does it sound more like some sort of deranged stalker?

09-04-2015, 04:54 AM
(08-04-2015 09:44 PM)Happy Wrote:  That's a very interesting one. Cause that was one of my steps towards atheism. It really bothered why there are so many religions in the first place? So my next logical step was: well it's probably cause there is one destination, but there are a lot of paths to get there. And only after reading and researching it more and more I came to the conclusion that I don't actually believe in any god at all.
But I think because of the constant culture fusions we keep having this random mixtures of people adopting different parts of different religions that appeals to them. My mum is a great example. She is a russian orthodox, however she hangs out with evangelical missionaries, she was baptised in both orthodox and lutherans churches AND she believes in reincarnation does yoga and all that comes with it. And somehow she can reconcile it all in her head!Huh

It's not an interesting one at all! It's not even challenging. It is, in fact, boring! I think what's happening, here, is a question of which "Christian" religion might be right. None of them are and they are full of horrible things! If this question of which religion is "right" challenges you, then you have to ask yourself: "Which one doesn't?" You O.K. with Zeus and the ancient pantheon?? How about Satanism? Can you eliminate just those two? Or, again, is it just the Christian ones that puzzle you?
09-04-2015, 05:06 AM
Esquilax's response is dead on.

In fact - you can really have some fun with that idea -- by asking why all Christians don't rejoin the Catholic church - as it is the origin of nearly all modern versions of Christianity.

Let me tell you - some people get downright snippy when you suggest it.... (I've used it on the Saturday morning door knocking crew)

Smile

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.