Does this argument cause you to facepalm too?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-04-2015, 05:22 AM
RE: Does this argument cause you to facepalm too?
These arguments just keep getting worse and worse - So long for the "you're selfish" one... Well, I think you could just ask the theist how can all religions be correct if they all claim to be the only truthful one and promise to punish whoever worships other religion.

Oh, and if all religions are correct that includes ritualistic violent cults and whatever people decide to create tomorrow, right?

"A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything" - Friedrich Nietzsche
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
09-04-2015, 05:37 AM
Sounds very similar to the Baha'i faith... but I'd bet almost anyone who really says those statements to people in this context have no clue what that is.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
09-04-2015, 06:12 AM
I built a deity tester just for this purpose, all a deity has to do is rotate a cardboard disk according to instruction when you pray to it to prove it's existence.

[Image: Deitytester20_zps000c1cdc.jpg]

So far it's proved that YHWH, Jesus, Satan, a Mayan god and any generic god is non-existant. I have prayed to all of these and nothing has moved the little cardboard disk yet.

Though my deity tester seems to be remarkably good at generating excuses from theists as to why any given deity won't do this childishly simple task to prove itself. Consider

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
[+] 4 users Like TheInquisition's post
09-04-2015, 06:14 AM
Yahweh won't be tested! He won't prove himself.

Except in his own book, where he agreed to be tested and proved himself. He also used to just walk around, too. Guess he's shy now.

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Robvalue's post
09-04-2015, 06:24 AM
Tell them "If you are all spokes on a wheel, then god is lying to you all in order to incite violence."

"But if there is no god, then you have nothing to fight about."

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
[+] 1 user Likes Rahn127's post
09-04-2015, 06:36 AM
When I hear this argument, my rebuttal is generally in two phases.

1. Since there are contradictions in the claims different religions make, only one can be correct, or they can all be wrong. If they were all correct, then there would be more consistency in the messages. Especially if they are coming from an omniscient, omnipotent being. (We don't have that)

2. After we establish that, I then like to discuss the similarities of all religions. They generally all explain things that we do not know, and set up a post death reward system for a desired behavior.

If I'm having an honest discussion where someone is really listening, I find these arguments very effective. It shows that the religions do come from the same place, and gives evidence that the place is the human mind, and not an omniscient being speaking absolute truths.

The good things that if people are already at that point in their thinking, they're halfway home already.

Remember, just because you want something to be true, doesn't make it true. Yes, even if you have faith.
[+] 1 user Likes microterf's post
09-04-2015, 06:37 AM
God is clearly scared of science. The more we've learnt, and the better we are at investigating our surroundings, the less he shows up.

Now he only appears in unverifiable personal experiences which are indistinguishable from fantasy/delusion to anyone but the person having them.

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
[+] 2 users Like Robvalue's post
09-04-2015, 07:49 AM
Because of the contradictions between various religions, anyone making this argument is essentially saying there are either different rules for different people or any of the rules are acceptable for anyone. Either way, you're left with a God that doesn't have strong moral rules. If that's what you think, you shouldn't try to legislate morality.
09-04-2015, 07:50 AM
I had this type of thinking for a little while as a teen. I couldn't reconcile a destination vacation to hell for someone born in India to a Hindu family. Doesn't seem very just or loving. I deconverted after that.

Still bothered me as a Christian adult (I reconsidered my faith for a few years after falling in love with a preacher's son) and kept the doubt there.

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
09-04-2015, 09:19 AM
(09-04-2015 07:50 AM)Nurse Wrote:  I had this type of thinking for a little while as a teen. I couldn't reconcile a destination vacation to hell for someone born in India to a Hindu family. Doesn't seem very just or loving. I deconverted after that.

Still bothered me as a Christian adult (I reconsidered my faith for a few years after falling in love with a preacher's son) and kept the doubt there.

So you're just a character from a Dusty Springfield song?

Big Grin

I was once briefly in love with a preacher's daughter, but nothing came of it...