Does this argument cause you to facepalm too?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-04-2015, 03:41 PM (This post was last modified: 09-04-2015 04:51 PM by Happy.)
RE: Does this argument cause you to facepalm too?
(09-04-2015 04:54 AM)Ameron1963 Wrote:  It's not an interesting one at all! It's not even challenging. It is, in fact, boring! I think what's happening, here, is a question of which "Christian" religion might be right. None of them are and they are full of horrible things! If this question of which religion is "right" challenges you, then you have to ask yourself: "Which one doesn't?" You O.K. with Zeus and the ancient pantheon?? How about Satanism? Can you eliminate just those two? Or, again, is it just the Christian ones that puzzle you?

Dude, no need to be so angry.

Firstly, by "interesting one" I meant the post. The post is interesting. Secondly, it's interesting because I USED to think like that before I started looking into it and eventually coming to the conclusion that there's no god. No need to insult people just because they are going or went through a certain stage in learning about the world. "You haven't given religion much thought yourself, have you?" well what do you think this person is doing on this forum? You won't believe it, but they are THINKING about it and sharing their thoughts. What's your problem with it?

I do not believe in god, just like you. And no, I'm not OK with Zeus or Satan. And yes, all of the religions have a lot of terrible stuff. So what's your problem, why are you so aggressive towards people who share the same reasoning as you are??
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Happy's post
09-04-2015, 04:41 PM
Quote:they then assert that all religions are essentially correct.

Odd then that they spend so much time beating each others heads in. Do you suppose they are mainly full of shit?

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
09-04-2015, 05:35 PM
As long as you point out that the grand majority of all the others think they are going to hell for thinking that, because the majority think they all have the "secret Jesus recipe" than its fine I guess.

It sorta sounds like they are the kind of new age progressive non fundi Christian that we should be supporting, rather than spending a whole lot of time arguing with.

After all, it is not really a whole lot with the belief, even though many of the beliefs, biblical passages and well, quite of LOT of the scripture is highly immoral and have no basis in today's world. There is a point in which you can have someone who is cool enough with their beliefs that they do not pay attention to the bad parts of their book and do not attempt to shove it down the throats of others.

Those who do not indoctrinate their children with their own religion, and especially those who do not go to the court rooms and to the governments footsteps and demand that they fully support and force schools and other government institutes to force others to support their beliefs are the kinds of Christians and deity worshipers we should be supporting.

The problem we have, those of us whom are anti theist, do not have many problems with progressive theists who keep their religions to themselves and do not use it as a tool to persecute, indoctrinate or force its way into our institutes. It is those who DO all of these things that is the problem. It is those who use it to persecute us, the gays and those of other religions and so on. This persecution can be anything from verbal abuse to trying to enact religions freedom laws that give religious freedom to persecute as what their religion tells them too.

Such an example is a ballot in California to give the death penalty to anyone who is gay.

http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2015/03...nt-sodomy/

My whole point is that it almost sounds a lot like this theist you are trying to debate sounds a lot like one of the more progressive theists. While it is fine that we have the conversation of their beliefs, we should not spend a terrible amount of time trying to really change them per se as their type of thinking and belief is not really any kind of problem, and as long as they too understand what the problems with religion are, we can be on the same team working to correct the problems that plague us.

So, just let them know they are somewhat of a minority when it comes to what their argument is. As long as they understand all that and they are just another sect who thinks they have it the right way, than there really is not need for you two to continue that particular argument.

My Youtube channel if anyone is interested.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEkRdbq...rLEz-0jEHQ
[+] 1 user Likes Shadow Fox's post
09-04-2015, 10:16 PM
(09-04-2015 05:35 PM)Shadow Fox Wrote:  It sorta sounds like they are the kind of new age progressive non fundi Christian that we should be supporting, rather than spending a whole lot of time arguing with.

After all, it is not really a whole lot with the belief, even though many of the beliefs, biblical passages and well, quite of LOT of the scripture is highly immoral and have no basis in today's world. There is a point in which you can have someone who is cool enough with their beliefs that they do not pay attention to the bad parts of their book and do not attempt to shove it down the throats of others.

Those who do not indoctrinate their children with their own religion, and especially those who do not go to the court rooms and to the governments footsteps and demand that they fully support and force schools and other government institutes to force others to support their beliefs are the kinds of Christians and deity worshipers we should be supporting.

I don't know about supporting but definitely not arguing with. If they're not pushing their beliefs they are relatively harmless. Perhaps more importantly, they may take our side on many issues.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-04-2015, 01:46 AM
Good point. If someone has watered down their beliefs so much that they consider other religions just as true, they are about as close to sane as you're going to get.

I rather suspect that this isn't always the case, but that it's often yet another rationalization which totally falls apart under scrutiny. Including their own, if they bothered to look.

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user