Does this make anyone else mad

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-01-2014, 03:34 PM
RE: Does this make anyone else mad
(09-01-2014 12:22 PM)War Horse Wrote:  
(09-01-2014 11:30 AM)Slowminded Wrote:  Check your ego man. What makes you think that you are supposed to mean anything to the earth or humanity , let alone the universe?

I had some problem getting the drift of this statement also, but wasnt sure where you were going with it.

(09-01-2014 11:39 AM)TheThirdEye Wrote:  You make the point I'm trying to make I don't think as humans we have any purpose to live besides our own conscious enjoyment we thrive as a race just like any other, but we don't do anything positive for anything else besides ourselves. We have no purpose but our own ..

I think Slowminded did too.
(09-01-2014 11:46 AM)Slowminded Wrote:  Correct.
So make your peace with that realization and move on.

And this was a bit harsh, the OP just wants to understand others take on the situation. Nothing wrong with that in my book.

It wasn't my intention to sound harsh , but the title of the thread suggests that this makes OP mad.

. . . ................................ ......................................... . [Image: 2dsmnow.gif] Eat at Joe's
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Slowminded's post
09-01-2014, 04:56 PM
(09-01-2014 10:35 AM)TheThirdEye Wrote:  The fact of knowing we will never know what exactly we live for at all. Just think about it, yes we are lucky to live this life and smile and laughs get to eat delicious food , have sex have kids etc..

But to think we will never find out how and where the universe started , why we started as a race nothing .. It's impossible to find out what the first thing to ever exist.

Cherish life every day , love life more then anything but then again it's all we know ... I always remember hearing people say the quote " no one said life was going to be easy " And that's true but I never remember agreeing to the terms of living ether .. I'm not a depressed person or angry at life. Just seems unfair that us atheist have to live wondering what we live for exactly.

Not sure I understand the assumption that there is a "why" to know. If there is no creator deity, and I assume you agree since you classified yourself as an atheist, then the universe is the result of physical processes that don't need a why. A why implies a being with will to supply that why.
09-01-2014, 05:57 PM (This post was last modified: 10-01-2014 11:58 AM by Bucky Ball.)
(09-01-2014 11:06 AM)TheThirdEye Wrote:  We will never know what the first thing to ever exists was . So it's impossible to find out why everything is why it is . That's my point .. (sorry for grammar issues I'm at work and it's -10deg outside . )

Does your grammar gets worse when the temp goes down or up ?

"The fact of knowing we will never know what exactly we live for at all."
You're assuming there IS an answer to that. What if there is no answer ?
Whatever the answer is, it's not about individuals. The larger trends in reality, (such as evolution) are about large numbers and groups. "You" have no purpose (other than the one you make for yourself) except to be one of the number that make up the a larger trend. You think it's about "individuals" only because you live in Western culture in 2013.
What if the meaning is in your family genes, and not you ? Whatever the answer, would it alter the meaning someone 10,000 years ago found in their existence ?

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
09-01-2014, 06:17 PM (This post was last modified: 09-01-2014 06:21 PM by sporehux.)
(09-01-2014 10:35 AM)TheThirdEye Wrote:  The fact of knowing we will never know what exactly we live for at all. Just think about it, yes we are lucky to live this life and smile and laughs get to eat delicious food , have sex have kids etc..

But to think we will never find out how and where the universe started , why we started as a race nothing .. It's impossible to find out what the first thing to ever exist.

Cherish life every day , love life more then anything but then again it's all we know ... I always remember hearing people say the quote " no one said life was going to be easy " And that's true but I never remember agreeing to the terms of living ether .. I'm not a depressed person or angry at life. Just seems unfair that us atheist have to live wondering what we live for exactly.

I have thought that way before, and concluded that even if "life" advances to the point of harnessing its local star for energy and space faring to thousands of solar systems.
It means nothing to the universe, it will do what its doing regardless of some complex carbon based molecules replicating on 3rd rocks.

i don't see "what do we live for" as a valid question, but how pre big bang came to be, or even when i was still theist, "where did god come from" are questions I'd love to know, its a paradox to rational people, i'm sure if super advance Aliens explained the answer to us we would not be able to comprehend it.

Why we started as a race is pretty well covered by science, even the "magic happened' bits have a valid logical probability. Abiogenesis by Biopoiesis is a solid argument.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miller_experiment
Id say we are close to proving how living "stuff" starts in new solar systems, probably before we die of old age.

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".
09-01-2014, 06:22 PM
Mom didn't bring back sushi
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like BrokenQuill92's post
10-01-2014, 05:32 AM
(09-01-2014 06:22 PM)BrokenQuill92 Wrote:  Mom didn't bring back sushi

???

You'll live !

It isnt good for you and tastes like shit anyways.
10-01-2014, 09:46 AM
Is my imagination playing tricks or do these posts all sound about the same:
Doom and gloom and nothing to live for (?)

When I want your opinion I'll read your entrails.
10-01-2014, 01:18 PM

Seriously, religion effs people's psyches up giving people a false purpose in life, or even proposing the idea of a purpose.

I've never ever thought, "damn, does my life have meaning? Is there some great purpose to my existence?" I mean perhaps I'm weird, but to me it seems pretty damn obvious. I have this one opportunity to live, and I'm going to make the most of it (on my terms). Real simple.

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
10-01-2014, 02:11 PM (This post was last modified: 10-01-2014 02:19 PM by IndianAtheist.)
(09-01-2014 10:35 AM)TheThirdEye Wrote:  The fact of knowing we will never know what exactly we live for at all.
We live .. just cus' we have life ! its that simple...Thumbsup there's no more reason to it than that.
Quote:But to think we will never find out how and where the universe started
I don't think we need to know that we're already awe struck by the fact that we've come THIS far.. billions of years of evolution and sheer luck.
Quote:Just seems unfair that us atheist have to live wondering what we live for exactly.
UNFAIR ?? if anything its more like a gift! i don't want to waste my life thinking of fantasy as reality!

neither do i want to feel like i have a purpose in life by subscribing to a bullshit ideology.. i'd rather die not knowing then dying an ignorant pig.

Dreams/Hallucinations/delusions are not evidence
Wishful thinking is not evidence
Disproved statements&Illogical conclusions are not evidence
Logical fallacies&Unsubstantiated claims are not evidence
Vague prophecies is not evidence
Data that requires a certain belief is not evidence
10-01-2014, 04:08 PM

To answer the thread title: Nope. That doesn't make me mad. Kinda makes me tired. I'm going back to bed.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.