Does this prove Einstein was wrong?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-07-2013, 06:42 AM (This post was last modified: 15-07-2013 06:48 AM by TheAmazingAustralopithecus.)
Does this prove Einstein was wrong?
I'm no science boffin, but I've recently been reading a bit about Einstein's ideas and I came across this video by chance:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xn63xl6GV-E

What are the thoughts of physicists here? I don't know enough about this stuff to give an opinion, but it might interest you, and thoughts are welcome...there seems to be heated debate in the comments and the person who posted the video apparently has other videos on the topic. There's an explanation and some other stuff in the video description which looks like it should be addressed too.

"Seek out argument and disputation for their own sake; the grave will supply plenty of time for silence."

-Christoper Hitchens, "Letters to a Young Contrarian."
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-07-2013, 07:09 AM
RE: Does this prove Einstein was wrong?
Einstein made a lot of mistakes.
http://discovermagazine.com/2008/sep/01-...ePy0W3YE_0
That's not one of them.
He (Wear The White Robe) arbitrarily set the parameters for BOTH space ships to be equal. Of course they come out the same.
Here is the REAL Twin Paradox.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n2s1-RHuljo

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
15-07-2013, 07:20 AM
I got here...

[Image: ScreenShot2013-07-15at91729AM_zpsc82c3f1d.png]

...and I'm like, what the fuck?

The only thing this proves is that the uploader is an idiot.

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
15-07-2013, 07:22 AM (This post was last modified: 15-07-2013 07:29 AM by TheAmazingAustralopithecus.)
Why is he an idiot?

I don't doubt that he is, I know the video seems pretty silly overall, but as I said I'm a layman and an amateur when it comes to science (doesn't stop me from loving it, though) so pretend you're talking to an idiot (hell, maybe you are!) and explain things clearly xD. Also, do remember I've only just started reading up on Einstein's theories. I am far, a thousand billion light years away, from being an expert on this stuff Tongue.

"Seek out argument and disputation for their own sake; the grave will supply plenty of time for silence."

15-07-2013, 07:31 AM
(15-07-2013 07:22 AM)TheAmazingAustralopithecus Wrote:  Why is he an idiot?

I don't doubt that he is, I know the video seems pretty silly overall, but as I said I'm a layman and an amateur when it comes to science (doesn't stop me from loving it, though) so pretend you're talking to an idiot (hell, maybe you are!) and explain things clearly xD.

Quotes "relative velocity?" Relative to what? Space station. From where there will be time dilation - there's an equation for it... I mean, duh. Tongue

I mean, that's the stupid version, 'cause I'm stupid. One of the physicists around here can prolly 'splain it better. Thumbsup

[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
15-07-2013, 07:35 AM
(15-07-2013 07:31 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  
(15-07-2013 07:22 AM)TheAmazingAustralopithecus Wrote:  Why is he an idiot?

I don't doubt that he is, I know the video seems pretty silly overall, but as I said I'm a layman and an amateur when it comes to science (doesn't stop me from loving it, though) so pretend you're talking to an idiot (hell, maybe you are!) and explain things clearly xD.

Quotes "relative velocity?" Relative to what? Space station. From where there will be time dilation - there's an equation for it... I mean, duh. Tongue

I mean, that's the stupid version, 'cause I'm stupid. One of the physicists around here can prolly 'splain it better. Thumbsup

So, he's comparing the spaceships when he should be comparing them to the space station, which would produce time dilation?

15-07-2013, 07:38 AM
(15-07-2013 07:35 AM)TheAmazingAustralopithecus Wrote:  
(15-07-2013 07:31 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  Quotes "relative velocity?" Relative to what? Space station. From where there will be time dilation - there's an equation for it... I mean, duh. Tongue

So, he's comparing the spaceships when he should be comparing them to the space station, which would produce time dilation?

Phrased it the way I did because 2 contradicts 1. Time dilation happens as a function of velocity. Thumbsup

The wiki covers alla this stuff: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_dilation

WARNING: math. Big Grin

[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
15-07-2013, 07:39 AM
(15-07-2013 07:35 AM)TheAmazingAustralopithecus Wrote:  
(15-07-2013 07:31 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  Quotes "relative velocity?" Relative to what? Space station. From where there will be time dilation - there's an equation for it... I mean, duh. Tongue

The spaceships need to be going at DIFFERENT speeds, (relative TO EACH OTHER), for a Relativistic affect. He is an idiot. He doesn't even understand the most basic concept of why "Relativity" is called "Relativity".

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
15-07-2013, 07:43 AM
Haha. I understand now. I think he tries to explain time dilation away by saying it's some effect to do with electrons in the video description. But in any case time dilation and relativity work so I don't see the need for an alternate explanation.

This kind of reminds me of something Michael Shermer said, about how there are all these people trying to work on alternate laws of physics thinking they'll be the next Galileo or whatever, while completely forgetting the fact that Galileos are really quite rare.

15-07-2013, 07:51 AM
(15-07-2013 06:42 AM)TheAmazingAustralopithecus Wrote:  I'm no science boffin, but I've recently been reading a bit about Einstein's ideas and I came across this video by chance:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xn63xl6GV-E

What are the thoughts of physicists here? I don't know enough about this stuff to give an opinion, but it might interest you, and thoughts are welcome...there seems to be heated debate in the comments and the person who posted the video apparently has other videos on the topic. There's an explanation and some other stuff in the video description which looks like it should be addressed too.

To resolve this problem, you would need to compare the time on one of the spaceship with the time of an observer on the space station. Then, we would notice that the people on the spaceship would be younger than the people who remained on the space station since their clock slowed down. Smile This would also be true for the people on the second spaceship. In the video, the data is compared between the people on each of the spaceship, hence the paradox. Note: a paradox is an apparent contradiction. In this case, it is a paradox, and it's resolved the moment you realize that you need to compare the data between the spaceship and the space station.
[+] 3 users Like zaybu's post