Does this website prove Creationism?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-07-2011, 03:56 PM
RE: Does this website prove Creationism?
Well, not being able to replicate the experiment is big problem, I agree. That kind of puts a kibosh on the whole thing, I think. And, I understand the point was to make amino acids but wouldn't that be a precursor to life? I'm not a science guy but from what I recall from high school biology you would probably expect first amino acids to form and then life to spring from that.

Also, cool field. How far along are you?

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
22-07-2011, 09:24 AM
(21-07-2011 03:56 PM)BnW Wrote:  Well, not being able to replicate the experiment is big problem, I agree. That kind of puts a kibosh on the whole thing, I think. And, I understand the point was to make amino acids but wouldn't that be a precursor to life? I'm not a science guy but from what I recall from high school biology you would probably expect first amino acids to form and then life to spring from that.

Also, cool field. How far along are you?

Creating amino acids is a big step and would likely be the precursor to all life but the ends don't justify the means. If I say I am going to make a homemade pizza but all I do is buy a frozen pizza and out some more cheese and pepperoni on it what have I really done? The "primordial soup" that they used contained "ingredients" (odd word to use here but I can't think of a better one right now) that made the production of the amino acids easier. Sure they made them but not in a relevant way.

I am studying seasonal variation in temperature of bivalves from the Permian using stable isotopes of oxygen. In short I am reconstructing the temperature of the water that ~275 million year old clams lived in. I am entering my second year and hope to finish up around May.

Is this place still a shithole run by a dumbass calvinist?
22-07-2011, 01:34 PM
What I always find amusing is how regular science brought us a lot of technical and medical advantages while creationism and religion brings us...

nothing useful in particular.

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.
[+] 1 user Likes Observer's post
22-07-2011, 01:59 PM
(22-07-2011 01:34 PM)The_observer Wrote:  What I always find amusing is how regular science brought us a lot of technical and medical advantages while creationism and religion brings us...

nothing useful in particular.

If you subscribe to the meme theory, then I think we can concede that for the religious meme to take such strong roots in human culture, and to last such a long time, it must have had some kind of usefulness. But I tend to think it's outlived that usefulness.

English is not my first language. If you think I am being mean, ask me. It could be just a wording problem.
22-07-2011, 02:49 PM (This post was last modified: 22-07-2011 02:52 PM by Observer.)
(22-07-2011 01:59 PM)sy2502 Wrote:  If you subscribe to the meme theory, then I think we can concede that for the religious meme to take such strong roots in human culture, and to last such a long time, it must have had some kind of usefulness. But I tend to think it's outlived that usefulness.
Bonding of groups...
but only to a "tribal" level,
now that the world slowly is becoming one large village it divides more then it unifies.

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.
22-07-2011, 05:32 PM
(22-07-2011 02:49 PM)The_observer Wrote:  
(22-07-2011 01:59 PM)sy2502 Wrote:  If you subscribe to the meme theory, then I think we can concede that for the religious meme to take such strong roots in human culture, and to last such a long time, it must have had some kind of usefulness. But I tend to think it's outlived that usefulness.
Bonding of groups...
but only to a "tribal" level,
now that the world slowly is becoming one large village it divides more then it unifies.

Absolutely! I think it also provided an explanatory framework that reassured people. Now that role has been taken up by science, and it's even more satisfactory, in my opinion, because now the answer to questions like "why was there a floor or a earthquake? Why was there a plague?" isn't "Because you obviously did something bad and god is mad at you" or the even worse "God is testing your faith". I find the knowledge of not being in the hands of a capricious god, and that I can actually do something to prevent or alleviate those happenings much more comforting.

English is not my first language. If you think I am being mean, ask me. It could be just a wording problem.
24-07-2011, 05:36 PM
Sorry no. The meme theory only says that religious ideas are good at being passed from person to person in more or less intact form. Hence memes are analogous to genes, religions to organisms and historical theology to evolutionary biology.

You were referring to the theory that religion has a basis in evolution. Even then it may not be religion per se. Rather it may be that religion follows easily from traits that are key to being human and perhaps still very useful. This talk discusses it.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
25-07-2011, 10:39 AM
(24-07-2011 05:36 PM)angry_liberal Wrote:  
Sorry no. The meme theory only says that religious ideas are good at being passed from person to person in more or less intact form. Hence memes are analogous to genes, religions to organisms and historical theology to evolutionary biology.

You were referring to the theory that religion has a basis in evolution. Even then it may not be religion per se. Rather it may be that religion follows easily from traits that are key to being human and perhaps still very useful. This talk discusses it.

Yes thank you for the clarification.

01-08-2011, 06:05 AM
You guys have no idea, look, Mrs. Garrison has explained everything about evolution...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KzF5aQ8X-hA

There, what else do you need?

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
04-08-2011, 09:02 PM

Smile RE: Does this website prove Creationism?
(12-07-2011 11:19 AM)Buddy Christ Wrote:  Allow me to list the flaws.

-Right off the bat, you'll notice that this site is plastered with terms such as "accurate summary" and "honestly show each side" in a very Fox News manner. If it was accurate and honest, the evidence presented would show such and there would be no need to try and present your case as the "honest" version.

Quote:treating the "Theory of Evolution" as fact even though it has been proven scientifically impossible.

-Proven scientifically impossible? So doesn't that mean that scientists would be the ones to prove it impossible? And then 99% of them decided to ignore the proof because of their atheist hidden agendas?

Quote:It takes more faith to believe in the absence of a divine hand than it does to recognize the intricate balance of all things physical and appreciate the scientific reasoning that it could not have happened by chance, that "Intelligent Design" had to be involved.

-Use of the "it takes more faith" assertion, use of the term "chance" and a conclusion already put forth before any evidence has even been shown. You know already that it's just another creationist site parading as science.

Quote:Imagine putting the pieces of a million fine wrist watches in a paper bag...

-Another version of the "airplane pieces in a tornado" argument, demonstrating that this site clearly doesn't understand evolution or natural selection.

Quote:Secondly, today's humanistic science of Evolution (Macroevolution) and Natural Selection as slanted toward Darwinism (Microevolution and Natural Selection in themselves are valid sciences) was devised with the intent of finding a replacement for the science of Intelligent Design.

-Another creationist nonsensical argument: Macro isn't possible while Micro is obviously possible. Plus the term "science of Intelligent Design" is laughable. The site author acts like there was some conspiracy to uproot ID, rather than just better evidence presenting itself.

Quote:Thirdly, when man denies the existence of a supreme being, a creator of all the miracles of life, it is many times done to release himself of all responsibility to the creator.

-This is supposed to be a scientific rebuttal to evolution, right? So where's the science in saying, "evolutionists just want to sin more?"

I stopped reading after I got to the Bible quotes as "proof" and the age old fallacies that creationists somehow still try and use.

Carbon dating isn't accurate...
What caused the Big Bang?
The global flood has been proven true multiple times in unbiased studies.
Quote mining from Dawkins and Einstein.
DNA mutation only ever results in harmful and worthless attributes.
"Mouse trap" fallacy.
We should be able to observe living organisms spawning from chemicals today.

So not only does this site provide not a single statement that could be described as scientific evidence, you get the feeling it was authored by a 4th grader. Every paragraph has been laughed off and demonstrated why it's completely wrong by the scientific community. I'm surprised they didn't include the "the banana is perfectly made for our hands!" drivel.

Thanks for the prompt replies people. I apologise for not being able to reply, I had things going on. Once again, I appreciate each and every reply. Smile
Quote this message in a reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Soon creationist are going to say beneficial mutations prove creationism Metazoa Zeke 18 321 22-03-2014 02:08 PM
Last Post: Metazoa Zeke
  Evidence that prove creation,was originally said to never happen by creationist. Metazoa Zeke 14 308 07-03-2014 09:16 AM
Last Post: itsnotmeitsyou
  Creationism/Evolution Drich 130 2,675 21-02-2014 03:55 AM
Last Post: Revenant77x
  Creationism Assignment - Being accepting of religion or ruining education. Wanderingcelt 13 406 20-02-2014 07:18 AM
Last Post: EvolutionKills
  Kangaroos Kickbox Creationism sporehux 6 263 12-02-2014 09:03 AM
Last Post: Hafnof
  Creationism:Why to Catch Teens and Children and the Money that Comes with it Metazoa Zeke 4 195 03-02-2014 09:09 PM
Last Post: Drich
Video WOW! Creationism forced on children in a public school. Raptor Jesus 2 198 27-01-2014 09:09 PM
Last Post: Timber1025