Does your laptop have enough screens? The answer is no.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-01-2017, 06:00 AM
RE: Does your laptop have enough screens? The answer is no.
(08-01-2017 05:39 AM)cactus Wrote:  
(08-01-2017 01:26 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  Only recently has nVidia started to remove the divide between desktop and laptop GPU's (graphics processing units), seeing laptops finally have access to high powered and fully functional desktop equivalent hardware, allowing for the obscene resolution required for a triple monitor setup.

It wouldn't be that obscene if they'd just stick with 1080p for these smaller screens. You're definitely not going to be gaming on a triple 4k display, unless you're playing something old school.

In a world where mainstream home consoles struggle to handle 1080p on a single display, even tipple that in a laptop would qualify as obscene.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
08-01-2017, 06:55 AM
I used to use 2 screens at work. Just makes it ever so slightly easier.

It will change when augmented reality headsets become mainstream in a couple of decades.

I feel so much, and yet I feel nothing.
I am a rock, I am the sky, the birds and the trees and everything beyond.
I am the wind, in the fields in which I roar. I am the water, in which I drown.
08-01-2017, 10:53 AM
When I look at my laptop, I just see a dick and some balls. Big Grin

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
08-01-2017, 11:12 AM
I'd love it for work, but not for home. An entire screen's worth of real estate to compare one document to the revision you're making is a nice perk. Of the three places I've worked, be it TAing, temp, or tenure track, this is the only one where everyone didn't have 2 monitors for their desktop. For a laptop it would be an interesting idea; right now I'm on the departmental one, which has a screen barely larger than an iPad's.

Need to think of a witty signature.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
20-02-2017, 07:26 PM (This post was last modified: 20-02-2017 07:33 PM by cactus.)
My dream has become a reality

It's a thing of, umm.... beauty, I guess.
Now the middle screen is in front, and it's larger than the other two. One step forward and two steps back. I bet that tape would last all of 20 minutes, too. Laugh out load

Edit: Yup, I was right, the tape peeled right off, and he fucking cracked the screen trying to pull it off. lmao Laugh out loadLaugh out load

If we came from dust, then why is there still dust?
20-02-2017, 07:30 PM
I've never had a use for multiple screens yet.

20-02-2017, 07:35 PM
I have two screens at work for comparing information from multiple types of software. Sometimes the information from one has to be entered into another and it saves paper to use another screen. Most of the people at work have three screens...I am in line to get a third one and the boss has talked about four at some point, my PC is set up to handle that many. I won't need cubicle walls as I will be surrounded by monitors.

When I work at home I hook my laptop to the TV on my desk and use the laptop as the reference screen and the TV as the working screen.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
20-02-2017, 07:41 PM
I have two 27" screens. This came about when I was going blind with cataracts. I still use them because my OCR program needs lots of room to properly display the processing. And the other one runs Netflixs so I don't have to pay attention to the OCR program.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
21-02-2017, 09:23 AM
I used to have 3 monitors at my last job. It was super nice. I could have one window always displaying my email, another for keeping my RDC open to my dev server, and another for my browser for videos, research, TTA forum (sssh!), and whatever else.

But that was 3 years ago. Now I only have 2 screens. Ugh. But at least my RDC stretches across both effectively now. So I can easily pop between that and my laptop windows.
21-02-2017, 03:32 PM
(07-01-2017 05:27 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  I don't understand why people do this. Even 'hackers' or designers.
Like what's the fucking point? It's called alt + tab.

Except when you're dealing with problem-child software that turn your monitor into a white or black space of nothingness where you can't see your mouse. The only thing that can save you is your task manager on your second monitor. (or you can log off and lose important data).

[Image: 20cad83ad8d757191e2878b0f4bf05a9.png]
"Don't answer that. A rhetorical question."