Does your pet do this?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-11-2012, 08:33 PM
Does your pet do this?
I just noticed something that I've noticed before, but it made me wonder...

Back when Snuffy first picked me out at the shelter (

), I was looking at a picture of a dog that Stark had posted that looked like his. Snuffy was sitting on my lap looking like this [Image: jtnkeb.jpg] until she saw the dog on the monitor. She started growling. I'd hide it and she'd stop. I'd bring it back and she would growl again.

And then the TV. It doesn't happen every time, but often, when there is a dog on TV, she'll growl and stare intently.

But when it comes to seeing herself in a mirror, no interest at all. Consider

Makes me curious. The Mirror Test indicates that only some primates and a few other assorted creatures are aware the image in the mirror is them looking into the mirror. Okay, so Snuffy doesn't have a sense of self that is observable with a mirror. But why wouldn't she still react to it as another dog like she does with a picture of a dog? Why not growl at the dog staring at her?
Consider
Maybe she does have a sense of self and knows it's her so it's of no interest to her?
Consider

Does anyone else have a pet that reacts to images of other pets? Do they ever react to a mirror image?

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
16-11-2012, 02:46 PM
RE: Does your pet do this?
I've never heard of that before .. but I just had to chime in to say that dog is ridiculously cute. Yes

Life is short and hard like a body building elf-- Blood Hound Gang
[+] 3 users Like k37713's post
16-11-2012, 03:01 PM
Am I the only one who is surprised by his high-pitched voice? Consider

@Topic My cat does that sometimes.

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Vosur's post
16-11-2012, 03:02 PM
1. Wow that dog is a cutie!!!
2. I am not sure if I get it right but the difference between the TV and a dog there and the mirror I do get. He thinks that the dog that is moving around on TV and probably barking, might come out of the tv and invade his house, so he wants to protect his place. Same with the pic. He sees another dog, which is not moving but probably staring at him or his place so he needs to growl him away (CUT>>> wow, my dog just farted so bad!!! I think I'll die!!!) But when you put a mirror in front of him something happens. First of all the mirror doesn't smell like dog! Second, when he looks around the mirror the "other dog" is suddenly gone. I am not sure why, but in my brain it makes sense!

"Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2=4" - George Orwell (in 1984)
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Leela's post
16-11-2012, 04:19 PM
In my experience only puppies react to mirror images - actual mirrors as well as when they see themselves in a reflecting window. I had one 8 week old puppy go berserk seeing his reflection in the back door (glass) at night. He would attack the other dog and it would attack back. It was hilarious. But they figure it out asap, and after that no mirror image anywhere will have any effect on them.

My dogs and cats all react to the TV. And if I look at a Schutzhund training tape, where a dog chases down a "bad guy", they get very very agitated and want to join in. But it is the sounds that get the attention first, then they try to see what it is and watch. Some nature shows fascinate them, too. Cats as well.

Dogs see thing differently. A link: http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/cani...television

The cats will watch the fish in the aquarium but the dogs are not interested at all.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 2 users Like Dom's post
16-11-2012, 04:27 PM
None of mine react to the mirror but they do react to animals on TV and they don't like kids to the point that they bark and growl at kids on TV.
Snuffy is the cutest thing...so glad that she found Erx.

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
16-11-2012, 05:34 PM
Fucking George, can't be arsed. Tongue

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
16-11-2012, 07:30 PM
My dog did this once and then got bored and didn't do it since.
16-11-2012, 09:42 PM
(16-11-2012 04:19 PM)Dom Wrote:  In my experience only puppies react to mirror images - actual mirrors as well as when they see themselves in a reflecting window. I had one 8 week old puppy go berserk seeing his reflection in the back door (glass) at night. He would attack the other dog and it would attack back. It was hilarious. But they figure it out asap, and after that no mirror image anywhere will have any effect on them.
Mine were 6 months old when I got them. There's a cabinet with a mirrored back in the living room, and they'd stand in front of it and bark at their reflection sometimes. Same if I picked them up and walked to the wall mirror. Then they stopped.

Now they still do bark at the TV, but not as much. I used to put on that show "Animal Cops" and they'd freak out the whole time. Now it's not so bad, but if a movie is on TV and a dog randomly starts barking, sometime they'll react to it and run into the room and stare at the tv. They don't usually react to shows about dogs, though, like stuff on Animal Planet.
[+] 1 user Likes amyb's post
17-11-2012, 01:46 AM
(16-11-2012 03:01 PM)Vosur Wrote:  Am I the only one who is surprised by his high-pitched voice? Consider

@Topic My cat does that sometimes.
No, Vosur, you're not Unsure

Humankind Dodgy (a total misnomer)