Doesn't need a whole thread

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-02-2014, 11:24 AM
RE: Doesn't need a whole thread
Sorry, I should probably clarify that this was intended for atheism/theism related posts since it's in the atheism and theism forum. I'll edit the OP.

"Religion has caused more misery to all of mankind in every stage of human history than any other single idea." --Madalyn Murray O'Hair
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
21-02-2014, 11:28 AM
(21-02-2014 11:24 AM)Impulse Wrote:  Sorry, I should probably clarify that this was intended for atheism/theism related posts since it's in the atheism and theism forum. I'll edit the OP.

oops. my bad. sorry. Blush

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
21-02-2014, 11:34 AM
(21-02-2014 11:24 AM)Impulse Wrote:  Sorry, I should probably clarify that this was intended for atheism/theism related posts since it's in the atheism and theism forum. I'll edit the OP.

That would've been nice to know Laugh out load

Atir aissom atir imon
[+] 1 user Likes Im_Ryan's post
21-02-2014, 11:50 AM
My coworkers are funny. I haven't labeled myself as an "atheist" to them, but we talk about the inconsistencies of religion all the time, and I'm pretty sure they know where I stand. The boss is pretty much there, yet he claims to believe in "some sort of power, I just don't know what it is". That makes sense though, he's big into alternative medicine and that sort of shit, even though he's a pretty sharp cookie otherwise. He just doesn't really care that much about religion, but plays along for the sake of not pissing his wife off.

The other guy is the one that gets me. He's really smart. He's totally with me when we talk about the bible and how it came about and how much stock you can take in it. But then he keeps trying to convince me that there's too much "evidence" that it couldn't be an accident, that there has to be some reason that we're here. He keeps going back to aliens believe it or not. I only allow myself to get so far into the conversation with these guys before backing off mainly because I'm just not that much of a confrontational sort of guy and a bit of an introvert when it comes to personal shit.

The kicker with this guy is that he's totally involved with his church, teaches his adult sunday school class and when talking with church members totally flips the switch into devout believer mode. Then if it's just me and him he'll say things like being a "fox in the henhouse".

I guess the biggest thing for me is that even though both of them are fairly "liberal" in their convictions about god, they're still a couple of the biggest racist, homophobic bigots you can get. Maybe not the biggest, I've voiced a few opinions in some conversations and they seem to "try" to be good about it, but in most conversations with others when it comes up their natural thoughts tend to come flying out of their mouths without any regard for decency.

I wish I had the balls to just tell them what's up without being a pansy about it, but this is the heartland, and I gotta be a bit careful. But I think here and there I've made some good points that they've taken to heart, so whatever that's worth......

Anyway, not worth a whole thread, but I wanted to spill a bit.

Carry on. Drinking Beverage

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
[+] 2 users Like evenheathen's post
21-02-2014, 11:52 AM
This isn't worth a whole thread but I just want to say...

Will someone please nudge Moms into the 100 club?

Thanks.

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
21-02-2014, 12:00 PM
(21-02-2014 11:52 AM)DLJ Wrote:  This isn't worth a whole thread but I just want to say...

Will someone please nudge Moms into the 100 club?

Thanks.

Well done, KidC. I knew I could count on you. Heart

[+] 3 users Like DLJ's post
21-02-2014, 12:05 PM
(21-02-2014 11:28 AM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  

oops. my bad. sorry. Blush
No, it was my oversight and my bad.

"Religion has caused more misery to all of mankind in every stage of human history than any other single idea." --Madalyn Murray O'Hair
21-02-2014, 12:08 PM
(21-02-2014 11:50 AM)evenheathen Wrote:  My coworkers are funny. I haven't labeled myself as an "atheist" to them, but we talk about the inconsistencies of religion all the time, and I'm pretty sure they know where I stand. The boss is pretty much there, yet he claims to believe in "some sort of power, I just don't know what it is". That makes sense though, he's big into alternative medicine and that sort of shit, even though he's a pretty sharp cookie otherwise. He just doesn't really care that much about religion, but plays along for the sake of not pissing his wife off.

The other guy is the one that gets me. He's really smart. He's totally with me when we talk about the bible and how it came about and how much stock you can take in it. But then he keeps trying to convince me that there's too much "evidence" that it couldn't be an accident, that there has to be some reason that we're here. He keeps going back to aliens believe it or not. I only allow myself to get so far into the conversation with these guys before backing off mainly because I'm just not that much of a confrontational sort of guy and a bit of an introvert when it comes to personal shit.

The kicker with this guy is that he's totally involved with his church, teaches his adult sunday school class and when talking with church members totally flips the switch into devout believer mode. Then if it's just me and him he'll say things like being a "fox in the henhouse".

I guess the biggest thing for me is that even though both of them are fairly "liberal" in their convictions about god, they're still a couple of the biggest racist, homophobic bigots you can get. Maybe not the biggest, I've voiced a few opinions in some conversations and they seem to "try" to be good about it, but in most conversations with others when it comes up their natural thoughts tend to come flying out of their mouths without any regard for decency.

I wish I had the balls to just tell them what's up without being a pansy about it, but this is the heartland, and I gotta be a bit careful. But I think here and there I've made some good points that they've taken to heart, so whatever that's worth......

That one guy sounds two-faced and dishonest. People like that really bug me. Dodgy

[+] 1 user Likes Impulse's post
21-02-2014, 12:14 PM
(21-02-2014 12:08 PM)Impulse Wrote:  
(21-02-2014 11:50 AM)evenheathen Wrote:  My coworkers are funny. I haven't labeled myself as an "atheist" to them, but we talk about the inconsistencies of religion all the time, and I'm pretty sure they know where I stand. The boss is pretty much there, yet he claims to believe in "some sort of power, I just don't know what it is". That makes sense though, he's big into alternative medicine and that sort of shit, even though he's a pretty sharp cookie otherwise. He just doesn't really care that much about religion, but plays along for the sake of not pissing his wife off.

That one guy sounds two-faced and dishonest. People like that really bug me. Dodgy

Yup. But I gotta work with him every day. Whaddya gonna do? :shrug:

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
21-02-2014, 12:29 PM (This post was last modified: 21-02-2014 12:33 PM by War Horse.)
Cant pick who you work with, unless your the boss.

That being said, when I owned my own shop, I did have a few religious types working for me. One guy was a converted muslim to christianity, but one hell of a mechanic and good worker, I even invited him and his wife over to my house for parties. Tho to tell the truth, he drank and messed around more than I did (at the time).
We had a few brief discussions about religion and the country he came from (Lebanon) and that was it. I really liked the guy.

It really didnt matter to me what an employee did on their own time, as long as they did their job and did it well. I always tried to act in a professional manner when it came to business and money...... the rest of the time, anything was fair game.

If bullshit were music some people would be a brass band.
[+] 1 user Likes War Horse's post