Dog Dilemma

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-08-2014, 01:44 PM
Question Dog Dilemma
So I am dog-sitting a redbone coonhound (she's beautiful and sweet). The owner gave me these bones for my freezer to give her every few days in my backyard. They are massive bull and horse bones from their butcher, safe for dog chewing. The first two bones in the first bag were frozen when I gave them to her and they were a bit smaller. The next bag I opened last night were bigger bones with lots of raw meat on them. The bones were all deep frozen together, I think my freezer is set too cold unfortunately. I could not separate them while in a frozen state, so I put them in the refrigerator with the intention of checking on them to separate and place back in the freezer. I forgot about them and now they've completely thawed.

Can I give the dog the thawed raw meat bone or will this cause havoc on its digestive system? Maybe it'll eat too fast since it's not frozen to gnaw on? Maybe a bloody mess? Can I refreeze the bones individually and go from there?

I never gave my former dog raw meat or bones, so I know nothing about this. My first choice for advice was Google, and it is not helping.

TTA dog lovers, what to do?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-08-2014, 01:53 PM
RE: Dog Dilemma
I wish I could help, but after spending several hundred dollars on a dog with tummy trouble after eating bones, I stopped.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
15-08-2014, 01:55 PM
(15-08-2014 01:53 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  I wish I could help, but after spending several hundred dollars on a dog with tummy trouble after eating bones, I stopped.

This scenario is something I am trying to avoid. Contemplating chucking the bones, but they are such a highlight while her masters are away.
15-08-2014, 02:05 PM
Well, it isn't like the dog will tell on you. Smile

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
16-08-2014, 02:23 AM
I'd call a vet and ask. They should give you an answer over the phone.

Raw bones killed my pups tummy. But he's always been a little on the sensitive side. Jerk :-P

Good luck! Love the coonhounds!
[+] 1 user Likes MrsFarrow's post
16-08-2014, 05:55 AM (This post was last modified: 16-08-2014 06:06 AM by Dom.)
I feed raw bones thawed all the time.

If they are a steady part of the diet they may cause odorless stool that is a bit more compact and may be white or yellowish - this is nothing to worry about and just means the dog is excreting the extra calcium. Personally, I appreciate dryish odorless poop, lol.

I keep them in the freezer in threes, feed the first one frozen, the second is partially thawed by the time I feed it, and the third is thawed all the way.

They are a good, natural part of the diet.

Dogs will bury bones with some meat on them and dig them up and eat them weeks later with no ill effects.

I have had dozens of dogs (used to breed and train German Shepherds) eat these and never once had an issue.

Mostly issues crop up if the dog swallows whole large splinters. I would assume your friend knows how to pick the bones.

Feeding raw bones is somewhat controversial and you will find strong opinions on it. If your friend wants this for their dog and the dog is used to this type of diet, you may do more harm not providing them than you could by feeding them thawed. The whole digestive system of this dog is adjusted to this - stop and you may see issues. Same thing the other way around - when you start a dog on it there is an adjustment phase for the digestive system. Raw bones are the more natural way to go, the dogs have evolved to eat like this...

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 4 users Like Dom's post
16-08-2014, 11:28 AM
Dom you're awesome! I was hoping you'd know something about this. So then I just pass this large, disgusting, thawed, meaty and bloody bone at the dog? Also if I don't, she might be more messed up (no pressure)?

Okay… I have to have my morning coffee first. I hope it goes over well. :/ It's the weekend, vets are more expensive $$$
16-08-2014, 12:54 PM
(16-08-2014 11:28 AM)LadyJane Wrote:  Dom you're awesome! I was hoping you'd know something about this. So then I just pass this large, disgusting, thawed, meaty and bloody bone at the dog? Also if I don't, she might be more messed up (no pressure)?

Okay… I have to have my morning coffee first. I hope it goes over well. :/ It's the weekend, vets are more expensive $$$

Yes, it's better than discontinuing what her digestive tract has gotten accustomed to.

Nothing will happen. When you give the frozen ones they lick and suck anyway and that makes the spots thaw. However, be sure you wash your hands well, dogs tolerate bacteria that we don't and vice versa.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post