Dog help

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-09-2017, 03:55 PM
RE: Dog help
(08-09-2017 11:54 AM)Rockblossom Wrote:  Your dog needs to be restrained for the same reason kids have safety seats and seat belts...

I like the look of #3, the Bergan Auto Harness.

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes SYZ's post
09-09-2017, 05:43 PM
I can't address the whining but I do second (or third) the seatbelt thing. Big or small a dog does need to be seatbelted both to keep it from becoming a projectile in a crash or sudden stop AND in case of a crash where a window gets broken---you don't want it to get scared and able to run off. ALSO, every size dog needs to be in a seatbelt in case you get pulled or even get to a license check....not because of any law but because a dog will naturally get aggressive or at least agitated when that stranger comes up to your window. You REALLY don't want your dog to have the ability to go after a policeman at your window. It's guaranteed to end badly.

We ordered ours online and paid less than $20 for two seatbelts that latch onto their regular harnesses and the other end loops through the regular seatbelt. I've had them too long to remember where we got them. We got them after one of our dogs learned how to operate the window and jumped out as we were rolling toward a stop sign. In other words, still in motion. Why? Because she saw a squirrel. We love her unconditionally but she's not the brightest crayon in the box. Then again maybe she is, considering she achieved her goal. With a few scratches and skid marks to show for it.

Where are we going and why am I in this hand basket?
"Life is not all lovely thorns and singing vultures, you know." ~ Morticia Addams
09-09-2017, 10:56 PM
(09-09-2017 05:43 PM)outtathereligioncloset Wrote:  I can't address the whining but I do second (or third) the seatbelt thing. Big or small a dog does need to be seatbelted both to keep it from becoming a projectile in a crash or sudden stop AND in case of a crash where a window gets broken---you don't want it to get scared and able to run off. ALSO, every size dog needs to be in a seatbelt in case you get pulled or even get to a license check....not because of any law but because a dog will naturally get aggressive or at least agitated when that stranger comes up to your window. You REALLY don't want your dog to have the ability to go after a policeman at your window. It's guaranteed to end badly.

It's a really good idea. I hadn't really ever thought of it in the past but will look into it now. Thanks for all the help gang. Thumbsup
09-09-2017, 11:27 PM
(08-09-2017 11:54 AM)Rockblossom Wrote:  Your dog needs to be restrained for the same reason kids have safety seats and seat belts - to keep him safe in a crash as well as to stop him from potentially causing a crash by jumping around. Even a little fender bender will send an unrestrained dog crashing into a window. The best way is to use a harness and loop a seat belt through the harness, but you can also use a collar and leash, and loop the leash through a restraint. I like the harness and seatbelt route, because dogs think they are one of the kids, so if they see kids being buckled into seat belts, they are likely (with some complaining) to accept being belted in as well. You could add the harness as part of the kids "getting ready" routine. The passenger seat would not be the best place if there's a passenger-side airbag, though. A back seat or a spot in the back of the van would be better. As others have said, a bed or "designated dog place" in the van would give him a sense that it is his spot, and he would be more likely to calm down.

Automobile Safety items for Dogs

In many cities and even states it's the law.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

11-09-2017, 05:14 PM
I used to see old farts driving around with toy poodles lying on their parcel shelf—inside the rear window of sedans. It's illegal now, but back in the day police reckoned that if they'd had a head-on crash, the last thing that was likely to go through the driver's mind was the poodle. Big Grin

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.