Dog's homeopathic magnesium adventure

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-02-2016, 09:02 AM
RE: Dog's homeopathic magnesium adventure
(27-02-2016 08:58 AM)morondog Wrote:  
(27-02-2016 07:03 AM)Full Circle Wrote:  There, there, dog. I’ll be sending you one of these shirts for your next run...

[Image: happiness_tee_shirt-r8813aea0a6534f02acb...de_324.jpg]

Wink

I hate you

Ignore them. Dodgy

Hope you feel better soon. Ask Dr. Mark what might help with the cramping when you run. DOCTOR Mark...not doctor mama...I am sure her intentions were good.

Smile

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat

Are my Chakras on straight?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Anjele's post
27-02-2016, 10:31 AM (This post was last modified: 27-02-2016 12:16 PM by Fireball.)
Too bad about the Magnesium Phosphate. I use Potassium Gluconate to get rid of muscle cramps. I haven't heard of Magnesium Phosphate for cramps. A better source for Magnesium besides food is Magnesium Oxide in tablet form.

ETA-I also drink coconut water and eat bananas for the potassium.
[+] 5 users Like Fireball's post
27-02-2016, 12:43 PM
You got in a pretty shitty situation hahaha

Puns apart. Any electrolyte imbalance (not only magnesium) can cause heat cramps. Try taking electrolyte drinks to overcome the electrolyte imbalance.

"Skepticism is the first step towards truth" -Denis Diderot
[+] 2 users Like Seeking_Truth's post
27-02-2016, 12:54 PM
Magnesium oxide is what I give a lot of my patients as a supplement. I give a LOT of IV magnesium sulfate - from cardiac arrhythmias to migraines. If I'm dealing with a constipated patient, I give magnesium citrate or magnesium hydroxide (better known as milk of magnesia). I have never given magnesium phosphate.

For most of the oral forms, it's the higher doses that have a laxative effect. You don't really need that much in a supplement. You just need to make sure you get enough through your diet. Almonds, cashews, sunflower seeds, spinach, bananas, avocados...

Your big danger in distance running is loss of sodium. I could be wrong when it comes to the insane distances you run, but you don't really lose that much magnesium or potassium when you sweat. A lot of people have low magnesium, but that's moreso because of a crappy diet.

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
[+] 3 users Like Nurse's post
27-02-2016, 01:50 PM
(27-02-2016 12:54 PM)Nurse Wrote:  Magnesium oxide is what I give a lot of my patients as a supplement. I give a LOT of IV magnesium sulfate - from cardiac arrhythmias to migraines. If I'm dealing with a constipated patient, I give magnesium citrate or magnesium hydroxide (better known as milk of magnesia). I have never given magnesium phosphate.

For most of the oral forms, it's the higher doses that have a laxative effect. You don't really need that much in a supplement. You just need to make sure you get enough through your diet. Almonds, cashews, sunflower seeds, spinach, bananas, avocados...

Your big danger in distance running is loss of sodium. I could be wrong when it comes to the insane distances you run, but you don't really lose that much magnesium or potassium when you sweat. A lot of people have low magnesium, but that's moreso because of a crappy diet.

Yes, if I sweat a LOT, I get muscle cramps. I forgot about the sodium. I use little salt, just whatever is in the food, don't add it. But I will sprinkle salt on my dinner if I have been really sweating. Sometimes I take HeatTabs when I work in the sun (California gets hot!)
[+] 3 users Like Fireball's post
28-02-2016, 09:49 PM
(27-02-2016 04:59 AM)morondog Wrote:  I feel like you bastards aren't being appropriately sympathetic Dodgy

Are you saying we don't give a shit? Shocking

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 6 users Like Chas's post
28-02-2016, 11:24 PM
(28-02-2016 09:49 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(27-02-2016 04:59 AM)morondog Wrote:  I feel like you bastards aren't being appropriately sympathetic Dodgy

Are you saying we don't give a shit? Shocking

Don't touche me

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 3 users Like morondog's post
28-02-2016, 11:28 PM
(28-02-2016 11:24 PM)morondog Wrote:  
(28-02-2016 09:49 PM)Chas Wrote:  Are you saying we don't give a shit? Shocking

Don't touche me

With friends like us, you don't need enemas. Confused

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 4 users Like Chas's post
28-02-2016, 11:37 PM
(27-02-2016 04:37 AM)morondog Wrote:  Here's a story for y'all. This past week I've been having gut problems. Y'know. Unpleasant stuff. So I'm moaning about this to a friend and she's saying I should head over to the doc and yada yada. Anyway, we get to chatting about running, 'cos she's a runner and it interests her, and somehow we get to talking about cramp medication and I mention that I'm taking this budget brand of cramp pills... She starts giggling...

So... I sometimes cramp when I run long distances, and I frequently run long distances. Distance runners (or so it is alleged) are frequently deficient in magnesium, and the aforementioned deficiency apparently is something that causes the cramping. Lots of runners in SA take Slo-mag, a brand of magnesium supplement pills. The problem is, the pills are frikken expensive.

Anyway, about a year ago my Mama hands me this little purple bottle labelled as 'Biochemic tissue salts - Mag Phos. For cramps, spasms and headaches.' - she got it from the chemist. I stuck it in a drawer and forgot about it - my big marathon had come and gone and I wasn't really paying attention.

So the months pass and it's time for the heavy training to start again and one day I come across this bottle. It's a big ol' bottle and it's got lots of pills in it, and it says its for cramp and you should take it 3 times a day. So... I start taking the stuff...

I guess you might be able to see where this is going. Turns out that the only idiots who think magnesium phosphate is a cramp remedy are fucking *homeopaths* (I did a lot of googling this morning to try and find out what the fuck is in these pills), and that as far as the rest of the world is concerned magnesium phosphate is a *laxative*.

Angry

I stopped taking the fucking stuff immediately and magically no more problems... Grrr. I feel so fucking used. How the fuck can chemists stock this stuff and sell it to people when they know it's based on fairytales?

Would you recommend it over metamucil??? Unsure

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
28-02-2016, 11:39 PM
Poor dog.

I'm sorry for the crappy way you've been treated.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 2 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post