Dog seems depressed suddenly?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-08-2014, 06:18 PM
Dog seems depressed suddenly?
We have two dogs, my husband's 8 year old labradoodle and my 2 year old Golden. My husband's dog, Jay Jay, is almost more rambunctious than my Golden! He constantly jumps, he's crazy energetic, and super smart.

My husband and I are the only ones home with them, and I've been on modified bed rest since the middle of May, so I've been home 24/7 unless we're going to an appointment.

Today, I woke up and took them both out, as is usual. Normal potty break for both. We come back inside, I start doing dishes, and then went to sit down and work on some things for some classes I'm taking while I'm off.

He ate fine, he's drinking well, there's just something off. He and I aren't super bonded, but I can definitely tell something is up, I just can't pin point it.

Every time I get up, I bring them with me. We have a bigger farm house, and I've found if I take them with me, there's less opportunity for them to get into anything. Every time I got up and took them with me, he just moped around. Truthfully. I've never seen a dog mope, but this dog has it down to a science.

I did more dishes, and they were laying side by side, about a foot apart. My Golden looked over at Jay Jay, and Jay Jay then got up and sulked into his crate.

My husband isn't concerned. At all. I've talked to him throughout the day and he's of the opinion that he's fine, he'll get over it.

I'm concerned because well, he's 8.

And...he's 8.

Husband is off again on Wednesday and Thursday, and since the pup is eating, drinking, and going to the bathroom appropriately, I guess I'm not 100% alarmed, but I am still concerned.

I'm thinking if he's still mopey and sulky by Wednesday, we'll take him in, no matter what husband says. Yes? No? Anyone else's dog ever get depressed or act like this?

Meh. I'm worried :/
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
11-08-2014, 07:25 PM
RE: Dog seems depressed suddenly?
(11-08-2014 06:18 PM)MrsFarrow Wrote:  We have two dogs, my husband's 8 year old labradoodle and my 2 year old Golden. My husband's dog, Jay Jay, is almost more rambunctious than my Golden! He constantly jumps, he's crazy energetic, and super smart.

My husband and I are the only ones home with them, and I've been on modified bed rest since the middle of May, so I've been home 24/7 unless we're going to an appointment.

Today, I woke up and took them both out, as is usual. Normal potty break for both. We come back inside, I start doing dishes, and then went to sit down and work on some things for some classes I'm taking while I'm off.

He ate fine, he's drinking well, there's just something off. He and I aren't super bonded, but I can definitely tell something is up, I just can't pin point it.

Every time I get up, I bring them with me. We have a bigger farm house, and I've found if I take them with me, there's less opportunity for them to get into anything. Every time I got up and took them with me, he just moped around. Truthfully. I've never seen a dog mope, but this dog has it down to a science.

I did more dishes, and they were laying side by side, about a foot apart. My Golden looked over at Jay Jay, and Jay Jay then got up and sulked into his crate.

My husband isn't concerned. At all. I've talked to him throughout the day and he's of the opinion that he's fine, he'll get over it.

And...he's 8.

Husband is off again on Wednesday and Thursday, and since the pup is eating, drinking, and going to the bathroom appropriately, I guess I'm not 100% alarmed, but I am still concerned.

I'm thinking if he's still mopey and sulky by Wednesday, we'll take him in, no matter what husband says. Yes? No? Anyone else's dog ever get depressed or act like this?

Any change in behavior warrants a trip to the vet. He may be in pain, he can't talk.

When a dog feels poorly physically, it often also avoids the relationships it has with other dogs - they have delicate balances of dominance and no dog will want to change the situation regarding that.

So, I would go to the vet.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
11-08-2014, 09:10 PM
(11-08-2014 07:25 PM)Dom Wrote:  
(11-08-2014 06:18 PM)MrsFarrow Wrote:  We have two dogs, my husband's 8 year old labradoodle and my 2 year old Golden. My husband's dog, Jay Jay, is almost more rambunctious than my Golden! He constantly jumps, he's crazy energetic, and super smart.

And...he's 8.

Any change in behavior warrants a trip to the vet. He may be in pain, he can't talk.

When a dog feels poorly physically, it often also avoids the relationships it has with other dogs - they have delicate balances of dominance and no dog will want to change the situation regarding that.

So, I would go to the vet.

Second the motion. He's telling you something. Let the vet help you translate.

We have enough youth. How about looking for the Fountain of Smart?
[+] 2 users Like Thinkerbelle's post
11-08-2014, 09:43 PM
That's what I'm doing.

Husband came home and was like "He IS acting strange."

So a call to the vet is in order first thing tomorrow AM!
[+] 2 users Like MrsFarrow's post
12-08-2014, 05:24 AM
Let us know how it goes. I hope all is well. Hug

Atheism is the only way to truly be free from sin.
12-08-2014, 05:36 AM
Agree with the others. Check his feet and underbelly, he may have been bit by a snake or something. There could be a hundred reasons, actually. Vet tests will hopefully narrow down what is going on.

Hope he is feeling better soon.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
12-08-2014, 07:49 AM
Let us know how it goes.

We have enough youth. How about looking for the Fountain of Smart?
12-08-2014, 08:10 AM
While I do genuinely hope nothing is wrong with him, this takes me back to my Golden when he was about a year old.

He walked with a severe limp, held up his left paw any time he could, for about a week before we were able to get him in to see the vet. Just randomly started doing it one day. We took him to the vet and had thousands of dollars in blood tests and x-rays done, only to have the vet tell us there was absolutely nothing wrong with him. Silly pooch.

Here's hoping this one just had a bad day yesterday!
12-08-2014, 03:50 PM
Keep us posted!

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

12-08-2014, 10:21 PM
So!

Got up this morning and he seemed fine, but I still took him in. The vet gave him a thorough look, checked joints and such, all looked good. He took blood to run some tests just to be sure, but said like people, dogs have off days as well. Assuming the blood work comes back fine, he's in great health!

Always good to hear, and I'm not sweating the blood work.
[+] 3 users Like MrsFarrow's post