Dog whispering woo-hoo

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-01-2015, 01:26 AM
Dog whispering woo-hoo
What's the difference between a dog whisperer and a dog trainer. That dog whisperer guy, don't know his name, is a little off the deep end. Am I missing something here?

What about dog psychologists?

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
01-01-2015, 01:37 AM
RE: Dog whispering woo-hoo
(01-01-2015 01:26 AM)dancefortwo Wrote:  What's the difference between a dog whisperer and a dog trainer. That dog whisperer guy, don't know his name, is a little off the deep end. Am I missing something here?

What about dog psychologists?

Dog psychologists are like parapsychologists; unaccredited, unlicensed, and generally full of shit (even if well meaning). Dog whisperers are like psychics, in that they lack even the veneer of legitimacy.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 2 users Like EvolutionKills's post
01-01-2015, 03:06 AM
Unfortunately a lot of the people who charge money for fixing dog behavior issues are full of crap, whether they know it or not. Doesn't matter what they call themselves. Dog whisperer is just a trendy name for a trainer who uses more body language and less words.

Dogs have a much easier time reading body language than they do understanding vocalizations. They understand our words by interpreting our body language, intonation, context and we really don't know hat else.

Humans and dogs do not perceive things the same way, that is why dogs can be of so much help to us, they know shit we don't know because they notice things we don't. Of course we notice things they don't, too.

For as long as dogs have been domesticated, I am really surprised that no one has come up with a good way to communicate with dogs. They know so much that we cannot perceive with our senses. They hear more, they read body language, and for them, scent is like a recorded history of a place, item or person. They know when someone is about to have a seizure. People are working on teaching them that they should alarm when some one has cancer. It appears most dogs know these things and much more, but we don't know how to ask for the information. And they don't know how to tell us the answers.

Communicating with animals is a scientific frontier we have not even begun to explore.

Some humans are better at picking up clues from the dog, some dogs are better at picking up clues from humans.

Training sessions are good for both dog and owner not because the trainer or training method is so brilliant, but because dogs and owners focus on communicating and learn some basics.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 8 users Like Dom's post
01-01-2015, 08:55 AM
This is interesting tech to look at for the future and if its adapted for animals, then it would be cool to see what a dogs dream looks like.

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/mind-reader-mee...es-1463094

I feel so much, and yet I feel nothing.
I am a rock, I am the sky, the birds and the trees and everything beyond.
I am the wind, in the fields in which I roar. I am the water, in which I drown.
01-01-2015, 09:00 AM
I’ve watched the show and in my opinion Cesar Millan is very knowledgeable. The title The Dog Whisperer is more commercial than say The Dog Trainer so I don’t think that there is any “special” baggage or expertise that comes the title.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
01-01-2015, 09:04 AM (This post was last modified: 01-01-2015 12:07 PM by Anjele.)
They are just playing off of the name "The Horse Whisperer" because, as FC said, it's catchier.

My dogs have been me trained perfectly.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 3 users Like Anjele's post
01-01-2015, 09:24 AM
(01-01-2015 08:55 AM)bemore Wrote:  This is interesting tech to look at for the future and if its adapted for animals, then it would be cool to see what a dogs dream looks like.

Well, checking a dog's memory might prove to be disappointing. They appear to have like zero short term memory, and only very repetitive items get stored in permanent memory. They also have an incredible amount of sensory input all the time, and decisions are based on the current sensory input, plus the deeply ingrained repetitive input, plus instinct and hormones etc.

The amazingly detailed sensory perceptions are going to knock our socks off, once recorded. Fido doesn't just smell chicken soup, he smells every ingredient. He doesn't just smell a couch, he smells who sat there when, with whom, what they ate or drank, and increasingly there is evidence that dogs can smell a myriad of illnesses before we can detect them or see symptoms.

Fido knows a whole lot of stuff that we would love to be aware of.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
01-01-2015, 11:05 AM
(01-01-2015 09:24 AM)Dom Wrote:  
(01-01-2015 08:55 AM)bemore Wrote:  This is interesting tech to look at for the future and if its adapted for animals, then it would be cool to see what a dogs dream looks like.

Well, checking a dog's memory might prove to be disappointing. They appear to have like zero short term memory, and only very repetitive items get stored in permanent memory. They also have an incredible amount of sensory input all the time, and decisions are based on the current sensory input, plus the deeply ingrained repetitive input, plus instinct and hormones etc.

The amazingly detailed sensory perceptions are going to knock our socks off, once recorded. Fido doesn't just smell chicken soup, he smells every ingredient. He doesn't just smell a couch, he smells who sat there when, with whom, what they ate or drank, and increasingly there is evidence that dogs can smell a myriad of illnesses before we can detect them or see symptoms.

Fido knows a whole lot of stuff that we would love to be aware of.

They seem to be able to detect cancer cells. At least that's what I've seen but I don't know how scientifically this has been tested.

Sometimes I feel sorry for dogs. We've breed them to be our companions and then we leave them at home while we go off to work. This guy strapped a camera to his dog when he left for work to see what the dog did. It's so sad.

http://www.hlntv.com/video/2014/12/29/do...eave-gopro

When I was growing up we lived in a mountainous area and our dogs simply ran wild in the woods. They never had emotional problems or needed any kind of dog training. They were happy chasing squirrels and mountain lions.

I'm not exaggerating with the mountain lion chasing either. They were very protective.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
01-01-2015, 11:40 AM
Cesar Millan is a very good dog trainer. I work with a dog rescue and we have trainers we contract with. They simply know dogs and can read their body language. They know what a dog is going to do before it does it.

The Dog Whisperer show has one recurring theme. Someone calls up and says "my dog is doing x." Cesar goes out and in 5 minutes has the dog behaving properly and spends the rest of the show teaching the owners not to be assholes who caused the problem in the first place because they didn't know what they were doing.

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
[+] 2 users Like Minimalist's post
01-01-2015, 11:56 AM
Caesar Milan uses the phrase "dog whisperer" as a canine twist on "horse whispering" a popular horse training method developed by Monty Roberts, the first Horse Whisperer.
The concept is the same. The idea is to communicate with the animal in its own language instead of ours. Using the phrase "animal whispering" is frustrating though, because it implies some woo. What's worse, is people who are good at it, tend to act as though there's some sort of magic to it. Like they are speaking telepathically with the animal. When really, they're just using language that other people don't pick up on.

The dog I currently have is very smart. So I decided to train him with my eyes. At six months old, I can tell him to sit, stay, and even fetch a specific object, simply by "pointing" with my eyes. Dogs are intelligent creatures who have literally been bred to communicate with us. Studies have even demonstrated that domestic dogs prefer the company of humans to that of their fellow canines. It's no surprise that we can talk, shout, and even whisper to them, and they understand.

So many cats, so few good recipes.
[+] 1 user Likes Stark Raving's post