Dogma within Science

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-07-2013, 09:04 AM
Dogma within Science
I listen to a lot of TED talks. This one sparked my interest as I have listened to many statements of Fact over the years that later end up just being a place holder for later Facts.
I did find it amusing that in his speech, he made reference to examples but no exact names of studies so you could investigate his claims.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKHUaNAxsTg

Morphic resonance? Is there anything to this?

fluctuating gravity and light speed?

"Science can not deal with conciseness" Seems like a statement of someone who is not satisfied with the knowledge so far. I didn't know Science, had stopped looking into this?

I think,his point is, don't stop investigating what you believe to be fact. I agree with that.

Maybe someone else can pick this apart. I just found some of it to come across odd.

Enjoy
T.H.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
22-07-2013, 09:24 AM
RE: Dogma within Science
Demented crypto-theism with a hankering for teleology. He's a man who misses woo and wants 'science' (as if it were some monolith) to put it back in. Tough shit; that ain't gonna happen.

The fact that he can claim with a straight face that it is mere closed-minded "dogma" that statements like - I quote - "psychic phenomena such as telepathy are impossible" are commonly accepted ought to tell you everything you need to know about this 18 minute intellectual abortion. He manages to work in horseshit alternative medicine; 'morphic resonance' (whatever the hell that is, since no explicative means or mechanism is even attempted) is pure woo - hell, it's practically woo bingo.

Those things are investigated all the time. Seriously. Literally. All the damn time. A competent scientist never takes anything for an absolute assumption. One individual cannot, of course, reaffirm the entire scientific consensus, and one must accept certain precepts in order to do any advanced work. But no scientific conclusion is ever final.

I grant that such principles as invariance and conservation (which are, properly, the same thing), cannot actually be proven to be universally and eternally true. The best we can do is say they are true for every piece of data we have ever collected, and make the appropriate extrapolations.

A final addendum:
It was never a TED talk; it was TEDx, poorly vetted, called up for review, found to be utterly lacking in content, and removed from the TED archives - hardly a matter befitting the shrill cries of 'censorship' and 'banning'.

... this is my signature!
[+] 4 users Like cjlr's post
22-07-2013, 05:20 PM
There's a damn good reason Sheldrake is despised in the scientific community. The man is a crank of the highest order. He's even set up websites for fake skeptical groups that promote him and a bunch of other kooks. Check it out.
23-07-2013, 01:09 AM
Yes, science is as devisive as anything.

Aspiring optimist
Eternal Pragmatist.
With the uncanny ability to see all sides in every argument.
[+] 2 users Like Caveman's post
23-07-2013, 05:18 AM
I could watch that show if it didn't have a laugh track. As to the OP, I was gonna check it out until someone mentioned Sheldrake. Tongue

[Image: 10339580_583235681775606_5139032440228868471_n.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
23-07-2013, 12:44 PM
(22-07-2013 09:04 AM)T.H. Wrote:  I listen to a lot of TED talks. This one sparked my interest as I have listened to many statements of Fact over the years that later end up just being a place holder for later Facts.
I did find it amusing that in his speech, he made reference to examples but no exact names of studies so you could investigate his claims.

"Science can not deal with conciseness" Seems like a statement of someone who is not satisfied with the knowledge so far. I didn't know Science, had stopped looking into this?

I think,his point is, don't stop investigating what you believe to be fact. I agree with that.

Maybe someone else can pick this apart. I just found some of it to come across odd.

Enjoy
T.H.

In theory, science should be dogma free, building upon itself day by day and editing out errors and omissions.

But people can become attached to their theories and groups of scientists can harbor resentment towards competing ideas about how the universe works, particularly in the frontiers of science eg theoretical physics, etc..

"IN THRUST WE TRUST"

"We were conservative Jews and that meant we obeyed God's Commandments until His rules became a royal pain in the ass."

- Joel Chastnoff, The 188th Crybaby Brigade
23-07-2013, 02:04 PM
(22-07-2013 09:04 AM)T.H. Wrote:  I listen to a lot of TED talks. This one sparked my interest as I have listened to many statements of Fact over the years that later end up just being a place holder for later Facts.

Enjoy
T.H.

The guys main thrust is that he has a problem with Science being based on Philosophical Materialism. Then, he creates one strawman after another to justify his position.

I lost a lot of respect for TED as a result of them hosting this lunacy.
23-07-2013, 02:14 PM
(23-07-2013 02:04 PM)Julius Wrote:  The guys main thrust is that he has a problem with Science being based on Philosophical Materialism. Then, he creates one strawman after another to justify his position.

It wasn't TED, it was a TEDx event - basically a licensee of the name (in Barcelona, if I recall correctly, though I'm far too lazy to check). And even then it was removed from the archives when the organizers had a chance to read up on what they'd actually put their names to.

... this is my signature!
23-07-2013, 02:21 PM
(23-07-2013 02:14 PM)cjlr Wrote:  
(23-07-2013 02:04 PM)Julius Wrote:  The guys main thrust is that he has a problem with Science being based on Philosophical Materialism. Then, he creates one strawman after another to justify his position.

It wasn't TED, it was a TEDx event - basically a licensee of the name (in Barcelona, if I recall correctly, though I'm far too lazy to check). And even then it was removed from the archives when the organizers had a chance to read up on what they'd actually put their names to.

Thanks for letting me know. I feel better about TED now.

Julius