Dogmatic Atheism?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-07-2017, 09:22 AM
RE: Dogmatic Atheism?
(08-07-2017 09:19 AM)slw0606 Wrote:  Interesting. So you were compelled to believe or not believe?

Yeah, the power of non-Christ compelled me Drinking Beverage

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 5 users Like Vera's post
08-07-2017, 09:24 AM
(08-07-2017 09:13 AM)Rockblossom Wrote:  
(08-07-2017 08:51 AM)slw0606 Wrote:  But it is not being intellectually honest to say, definitively, God does not exist.
Okay. But you are still talking about "God" as though the Christian god were the only one anyone ever believed in. There are more than 3000 gods that have been, or are still being worshiped somewhere in the world. So if we are being intellectually honest, then we have to admit that, while there is no evidence for any of them, any or all of them are a possibility, however remote.

I like to contemplate the non-existence of one god per day, so it takes me about a decade to get through all of them, if I take a vacation now and then. (On Leap Day, I think about the possibility that all 3000+ gods actually do exist, which might account for the chaotic nature of the world.) Today is my day to contemplate the existence of Chhinnamasta who, according to myth: "Is the nude self-decapitated goddess, usually standing or seated on a divine copulating couple, holds her own severed head in one hand, a scimitar in another. Three jets of blood spurt out of her bleeding neck and are drunk by her severed head and two attendants." While I have seen no shred of evidence that this goddess exists, she has as much probability of existence as your Christian god. Not to mention that she is a bit more interesting. Angel

Yes, you are correct. I said God as shorthand. Obviously humankind has believed in all kinds of myths and explanations for why things are as they are.
08-07-2017, 09:24 AM
(08-07-2017 09:19 AM)slw0606 Wrote:  
(08-07-2017 09:07 AM)Vera Wrote:  That is NOT how it works. Belief and disbelief are hardly a choice.

Try harder, oh, not-so-full-fledged one.

[Image: a360049fbcdaacb634c03ef14688c8de.jpg]

There is no "we", few people are claiming that god doesn't exist for sure and dogmatic atheism makes as much sense as an expression, as the idea of god. If not less.

Interesting. So you were compelled to believe or not believe?

Reality tends to be compelling.
If you have the ability to choose to believe or not, your imagination is better than most, Gunga Din.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
08-07-2017, 09:26 AM
(08-07-2017 09:22 AM)Aliza Wrote:  
(08-07-2017 08:51 AM)slw0606 Wrote:  Yes, I am a former Evangelical Christian. Yes, I am now a full fledged atheist. And a well informed atheist I might add.

I fully understand the word atheist means a person who is not a theist, a person who does not believe in a deity or deities.

I have CHOSEN to stop believing in God because there is no evidence of such a being.

But atheists need to be careful we do not fall into the same trap as dogmatic believers.

There is no proof God exists and it is a honest response to live one's life accordingly.

But it is not being intellectually honest to say, definitively, God does not exist.

As I stated in another thread, you should not just re-purpose your evangelizing skills to serve a new agenda.

It's pretty hilarious, the OP is about dogmatism, and look who's being dogmatic.
Laugh out load

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
08-07-2017, 09:27 AM
(08-07-2017 09:14 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(08-07-2017 08:57 AM)Szuchow Wrote:  What is full fledged atheist? And what it mean to be well informed atheist?

I have a certificate.
I'm a fully certified 91.287 % atheist.
After I get 5 more CEUs, I get my 95 %.

Kudos and congratulations.

What I meant by full fledged atheist is I crossed from being a so-called agnostic as the world understands that term to an atheist. I not only do not believe in a god for lack of evidence, I also live my life as if there is no god.

But, as I have discovered, most atheists are more accurately agnostic atheists which is to say they do not believe in god, they live their lives as though there is no god, but they cannot prove there is no god.
08-07-2017, 09:30 AM
(08-07-2017 09:21 AM)morondog Wrote:  
(08-07-2017 09:19 AM)slw0606 Wrote:  Interesting. So you were compelled to believe or not believe?

Get back to me when you can choose to believe that you can fly unassisted, and are willing to put your choice to the test.

That is a false equivalency, my dear, and you should know that.

I can prove if I attempt to fly, I will crash to Earth. So obviously, that is not a choice.

No one can prove god exists or does not exist. So it is a choice.
08-07-2017, 09:36 AM
(08-07-2017 09:30 AM)slw0606 Wrote:  
(08-07-2017 09:21 AM)morondog Wrote:  Get back to me when you can choose to believe that you can fly unassisted, and are willing to put your choice to the test.

That is a false equivalency, my dear, and you should know that.

I can prove if I attempt to fly, I will crash to Earth. So obviously, that is not a choice.

No one can prove god exists or does not exist. So it is a choice.

No. There is no choice. There is NO EVIDENCE, and no coherent definition. If you have the ability to CHOOSE to believe in that for which there is no evidence, then you REMAIN a Evangelical. Apparently, you are less "well informed" than you assumed.

If you are agnostic about those things which cannot be disproved, then you are agnostic about the Pink Sparkly Unicorn.

[+] 3 users Like Bucky Ball's post
08-07-2017, 09:37 AM
(08-07-2017 09:22 AM)Aliza Wrote:  
(08-07-2017 08:51 AM)slw0606 Wrote:  Yes, I am a former Evangelical Christian. Yes, I am now a full fledged atheist. And a well informed atheist I might add.

I fully understand the word atheist means a person who is not a theist, a person who does not believe in a deity or deities.

I have CHOSEN to stop believing in God because there is no evidence of such a being.

But atheists need to be careful we do not fall into the same trap as dogmatic believers.

There is no proof God exists and it is a honest response to live one's life accordingly.

But it is not being intellectually honest to say, definitively, God does not exist.

As I stated in another thread, you should not just re-purpose your evangelizing skills to serve a new agenda.

I am going to guess your objection to THIS post is my advice to atheists how we should conduct ourselves (ie, evangelizing).

I fail to see how that is an issue.

I am only expressing my opinion. I expect push back. I'm cool with that.

But perhaps my opinions might make an impression on others in agreement with what I say.
08-07-2017, 09:38 AM
(08-07-2017 09:27 AM)slw0606 Wrote:  But, as I have discovered, most atheists are more accurately agnostic atheists which is to say they do not believe in god, they live their lives as though there is no god, but they cannot prove there is no god.

Really ? You have polling data ?
I must have thrown mine away when it came in the mail.
An atheist (a "full fledged, 100 % all in atheist) has to prove nothing.
An atheist simply lacks one thing.

You remain an Evangelical.

[+] 3 users Like Bucky Ball's post
08-07-2017, 09:40 AM
(08-07-2017 09:26 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(08-07-2017 09:22 AM)Aliza Wrote:  As I stated in another thread, you should not just re-purpose your evangelizing skills to serve a new agenda.

It's pretty hilarious, the OP is about dogmatism, and look who's being dogmatic.
Laugh out load

Explain please. How am I being dogmatic by urging open minded honesty?

I guess even that is dogmatic.