Dogmatic Atheism?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-07-2017, 03:47 AM
RE: Dogmatic Atheism?
(09-07-2017 03:19 AM)BlkFnx Wrote:  Dogma: a principle or set of principles laid down by an authority as incontrovertibly true.

Also, the best Kevin Smith film.

[Image: Dogma_poster.jpg]

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 5 users Like EvolutionKills's post
09-07-2017, 01:36 PM
(08-07-2017 09:44 AM)slw0606 Wrote:  I continue to contend, you choose to not believe because there is no evidence for such belief.

I've been reading your flood of defensive comments here, and I really think you're making a mountain out of a molehill with all this talk of "choosing" and "lack of evidence as proof" etc. You also seem to like playing with semantics simply to continue your argument for the sake of argumentation.

In my opinion, there is no empirical evidence to support the notion that God or gods could exist. Therefore I can say totally unequivocally that God does not exist.

If you want to continue with your assertion that gods could exist, then it's up to you—as the proponent—to provide your evidence for such a position, and not up to me—as the opponent—to disprove it.

And BTW, there is no "we" in atheism; atheists have no common dogma, no book of instructions, no high priests, no sacrosanct places of worship, and no beliefs in the paranormal or supernatural. Individual atheist may well have totally different opinions about politics, philosophy, science, the arts, the constitution, health, the environment, illicit drugs, firearms, animal welfare, gambling, drinking and smoking, sexuality, etc.

Unlike theists, an atheist individual doesn't belong to some contiguous group with the same or similar set of ethics and morals, and governed by a purportedly inerrant holy book. No other atheist can tell me what to believe in, or what to say and do in my life.

Quote:A lack of evidence is simply a lack of evidence. It does not prove something, and thus a rational person CHOOSES to not believe because of lack of evidence.

Sorry, but this is just nonsense. Presumably then, using this "logic", you're prepared to believe in the possibility of the existence of unicorns and fairies and leprechauns? After all, there's no evidence that proves they don't exist. Hobo

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
[+] 5 users Like SYZ's post
09-07-2017, 04:19 PM (This post was last modified: 09-07-2017 04:27 PM by god has no twitter account.)
(08-07-2017 09:22 AM)slw0606 Wrote:  I simply disagree with your assertion that you did not choose to not believe something based on lack of evidence. You certainly did NOT control the lack of evidence, but you chose to not believe BECAUSE of lack of evidence. No one forced you not to believe.

WTF?

A rational and logical person doesn't "choose" to believe or not to believe. Either there is evidence to believe or there is not. If there is evidence, then a logical and rational person believes. Otherwise, the person cannot claim to be logical and rational. If there isn't any evidence, then a logical and rational person cannot believe. Otherwise, the person cannot claim to be logical and rational.

I cannot understand why you think that it's about choice. Perhaps my reality is at fault here.

The only conclusion that I can reasonably come to and not be troubled by cognitive dissonance is that you are not a rational and logical person and that your mind has been warped by your previous belief in christardology.

In short, you are full of shit.

I could be wrong but that's my opinion.

PS. I think I know what atheism looks like but wtf does dogmatic atheism look like? Does it even exist?

PPS. Oh, and welcome to the forum.

PPPS. I still think that you are full of shit.

Marburg virus, Ebola, Rabies, HIV, Smallpox, Hantavirus, Dengue Fever all brought to you by god - who cares for us and loves us all Censored
[+] 2 users Like god has no twitter account's post
09-07-2017, 07:37 PM (This post was last modified: 09-07-2017 08:35 PM by Bucky Ball.)
(08-07-2017 09:44 AM)slw0606 Wrote:  I continue to contend, you choose to not believe because there is no evidence for such belief.

If a rational "choice" is involved here, then the opposite decision has to also be a rational position.
It then has to be a rational choice to accept that for which we know there is no evidence. Facepalm
If one is in a position of actually making a real choice here, then it HAS to be rational, to go either way, and there has to be a valid alternative. What is that ?

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post
10-07-2017, 06:10 AM
(08-07-2017 08:51 AM)slw0606 Wrote:  ... But it is not being intellectually honest to say, definitively, God does not exist.

I say every day, to anyone who'll listen, that God or gods do not exist. It's a definitive statement, and has nothing to do with "intellectual honesty". The truth can never be intellectually dishonest.

Or are you, maybe, saying that you personally think there's a possibility that gods do exist? And if you think that way, then you're not an atheist, but more correctly an agnostic.

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
10-07-2017, 09:08 AM (This post was last modified: 10-07-2017 02:41 PM by Bucky Ball.)
The gradations of all these categories are important. Weeping

I'm a semi-smooth igtheist with nuts and caramel.
Very chewy. Yes

Edit : Nuts caramel and chocolate. I forgot the chocolate.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 3 users Like Bucky Ball's post