Doing Incredibly Stupid Things - for the sheer hell of it.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-02-2015, 11:14 AM
Doing Incredibly Stupid Things - for the sheer hell of it.
If you’ve ever experienced the adrenaline rush of a close brush with death - you know that it’s a very intense feeling that’s hard to duplicate.

It doesn’t stop some of us from trying - in some incredibly stupid ways.

Some try to make it “safe” – like bungee jumping versus skydiving. I’ve heard it rationalized that bungee jumping is much “safer” than skydiving. I don’t know, and don’t care. I have an aversion to impacting the ground at anything greater than a 45 degree angle. Is that dumb? Probably - but it’s my rules and I play by them – you do it your own way.

One of the dumber things I’ve done (they are legion) was a ride I took with a buddy of mine. It was back in the mid-80's. Tony was riding his 63 Harley panhead - and I was riding an 74 850 Norton. We were in Petaluma Ca, bar hopping one weeknight. (We both worked odd shifts so middle of the week drinking wasn’t out of the ordinary)

We left Petaluma shortly before the bars closed and headed to Pt Reyes Station - on a twisty, turny road. We were joking around - and I decided that seeing I was riding the British bike - I’d ride were it belonged – on the left side of the road.

I ended up riding the whole way - with cars going the other way - with me riding almost in the left side ditch - with my headlight off - so they wouldn’t see me till it was too late for them to alter course. All the cars passed in between me and Tony. Only one car blew their horn. I suspect most of them never even noticed me. (Nortons were pretty quiet).

Dumb? No shit...... That’s the point.

You do anything that dumb??? (that you’re willing to admit??)

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
22-02-2015, 11:24 AM
RE: Doing Incredibly Stupid Things - for the sheer hell of it.
I was driving the car you didn't notice that passed you going backwards.
[+] 3 users Like pablo's post
22-02-2015, 11:35 AM
Pretty sure most of my dumb things involved drugs and alcohol in high school.

I like adrenaline rushes. But I much prefer them to come from someone else's NDE as opposed to mine. (Trauma and codes = exciting)

Losing control of my car while going downhill last week in the ice storm was quite the rush - and it ended up with my stomach in my throat. Thought I was gonna vomit. Not the good kind of rush.

I do wanna go skydiving sometime - but only once.

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
22-02-2015, 12:47 PM
(22-02-2015 11:35 AM)Nurse Wrote:  I do wanna go skydiving sometime - but only once.

... With a chute one hopes Tongue

I've done a bungee jump. Here's the dumb bit. The guy can see I'm scared to jump so he says soothingly "I'll count you down"... and then counts from 3... and I jump... As I was on my way down I was like "That was seriously dumb, the reason you were scared is 'cos you wanted them to check the ropes..." And then I bounced and I was like "Holy shit I didn't die and / or shit myself"... and then it was awesome. Except it was over 30 seconds later... for a fuckload of money that they charge you... they should damn well gimme a second go Angry

But the thing is, it's only scary very very very briefly. It's pointless. If you want the shit scared out of you, you need it to be a bit less of a "Oh, is that it?" experience...

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
22-02-2015, 12:49 PM
My incredibly stupid things involved the 70s and perhaps a bit of the 80s. Undecided

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
[+] 2 users Like Anjele's post