Doing an American bible belt tour.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-04-2012, 04:09 PM
Doing an American bible belt tour.
My friends and I want to do an American bible belt tour. Big Grin We are trying to plan a rough idea of the distance and the places we want to go to. It'll be a road trip, we are hoping around a couple of weeks long. We aren't going just for the bible culture, we want an all around deep south culture experience, but our main theme is the religious aspect. I realize the Creation museum is further (I think by Cincinnati?) so we might start there, rent a car and then end up somewhere else to fly out of. We think, though I don't even know if outsiders are welcome, we want to experience the Westboro Baptist Church or maybe some other televised church or something. Maybe we want to even see snake handling, but not sure. We also want to hit up some random smaller southern churches, maybe in small towns or something. Ideally we'd like to top of the trip ending at and atheist convention or something, but that might be wishful thinking, lol.

My one friend has studied cults and religion and the other friend is a professional magician. I'm just super curious to see first hand if things are true that I hear about. We want to go under the radar so to speak, we just strictly want to experience it first hand but like a fly on the wall, if that makes sense.

Anyways. Has anyone done this or can anyone who lives in any of this area give some pointers or suggestions? Maybe if you driven a similar route in the area you'd have an idea of how long we'd need to drive? Or maybe (most importantly, I am wondering) you know about a place that we should put on our route to check out that might be interesting?

I've figured out and completed major road trip expeditions before, so when we get closer to putting dates down I can crunch the actual miles vs time then, but I just was wondering a rough idea plus love hidden gems to sight see.

Thanks!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes LadyJane's post
23-04-2012, 04:17 PM
RE: Doing an American bible belt tour.
Liberty University in Lynchburg, VA. They have a dinosaur bone on display that they claim is only 3,000 years old.
Got to see the snake handlers in Kingston and Cartersville, GA.
http://www.georgiaencyclopedia.org/nge/A...?id=h-1581

The old gods are dead, let's invent some new ones before something really bad happens.
[+] 2 users Like Thomas's post
23-04-2012, 04:20 PM (This post was last modified: 23-04-2012 06:59 PM by germanyt.)
Baton Rouge, La

Thumbsup Thumbsup Thumbsup Thumbsup Thumbsup Thumbsup Thumbsup

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
[+] 1 user Likes germanyt's post
23-04-2012, 04:31 PM
I can't give any advice (I think my town has literally a church on every street--except for the new subdivisions), as I normally stay away from such places! I was just curious, are you wanting only Christian-based religions, or even non-christian religions as well?

I know around me, the thought of ghost hunting is very popular (it's like a drug to the people...) I know it's not religious ceremony wise, but if you haven't ever been "involved" in one (i.e. you had to pay, yeah, they charge) it can be interesting as you have "sceptics" that expect to have evidence (the $ paid probably helps with that). Group mentality in hearing things that aren't there--until one hears something then everyone agrees. It's.... interesting. Granted I had fun when I went, but nothing "supernatural". I watched the people, when they said they found something, I investigated (rocking chair? Oh look floorboard's loose). If nothing else, it could be just a different break.

And I can't say for certain, but if you want to go "under the radar", you'd probably have to stick to larger towns, and churches that have greater numbers--and you'd have to learn what types of people go to which ceremony, and what they wear. I say this only as one church I know (I know it applies to others) has three services--one contemporary, two modern. The contemporary has mainly older suit-and-tie men and dress-wearing women in it. The others, shorts, or dressed up (depending on the weather--the minister has photos up with him in blue jeans while preaching). Go to the wrong place, and people would be like "who are they?" Or show up dressed "wrong" and you'd stick out.
[+] 1 user Likes elemts's post
23-04-2012, 04:58 PM
Interesting... too bad you didn't do this in March, could have come to the 3 day Reason Fest in Lawrence KS! But it sounds like a nice little road trip. Smile

I can tell you that the Westboro Baptist compound in Topeka KS is off limits to anyone but members - that means the Phelps family only; they know who they are.
The majority of Kansans are fairly conservative and stoic; they don't really care about your religion all that much and tend to ignore you if you stand on a street corner blathering about it. There's not much to see at unless you are in a cult... and then you will most certainly be outwardly ignored, then scathingly talked about behind your back. Streets will be crossed for the sake of non-confrontation; you won't be hated, just not liked.
Live and let live; no mixing.
If something "unusual happens" ... they'll know who to look at first. I am known for bringing "weird food" to pot luck dinners and picnics ... hummus anyone? Laughat

There are pockets of "creative" types. It's always been generally accepted that it does no harm to have the odd liberal running around even the most straight laced village. I didn't know it, but there is evidently a difference between the "eccentrics" and the "creative types". I have no idea which I might be. Yes

There are the extremes, of course... I know of a couple of people who can actually talk about going fishing with Uncle-Daddy. Blink Not kidding. Just don't think about it.

Otherwise, KS is pretty boring.

I'd say the real excitement would be the deep south - Mississippi, Kentucky, Tennessee - I'm quite intrigued with snake handling.
I'd like to know if you run across that experience! Smile

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 2 users Like kim's post
23-04-2012, 05:30 PM
Seriously though if you're going to be in the area and want to see some wild shit you should check out the voodoo culture near New Orleans. There are numerous historic cemeteries as well. Many claims of haunting and supernatural activity.

[Image: stock-photo-row-of-very-old-tombs-and-cr...337856.jpg]

Most plots in the area are above ground because flooding could cause the caskets to float up through the soil. And no one wants that mess.

[Image: zombies+sign.jpg]

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
[+] 2 users Like germanyt's post
23-04-2012, 06:41 PM
(23-04-2012 04:09 PM)LadyJane Wrote:  My friends and I want to do an American bible belt tour. Big Grin We are trying to plan a rough idea of the distance and the places we want to go to. It'll be a road trip, we are hoping around a couple of weeks long. We aren't going just for the bible culture, we want an all around deep south culture experience, but our main theme is the religious aspect. I realize the Creation museum is further (I think by Cincinnati?) so we might start there, rent a car and then end up somewhere else to fly out of. We think, though I don't even know if outsiders are welcome, we want to experience the Westboro Baptist Church or maybe some other televised church or something. Maybe we want to even see snake handling, but not sure. We also want to hit up some random smaller southern churches, maybe in small towns or something. Ideally we'd like to top of the trip ending at and atheist convention or something, but that might be wishful thinking, lol.

My one friend has studied cults and religion and the other friend is a professional magician. I'm just super curious to see first hand if things are true that I hear about. We want to go under the radar so to speak, we just strictly want to experience it first hand but like a fly on the wall, if that makes sense.

Anyways. Has anyone done this or can anyone who lives in any of this area give some pointers or suggestions? Maybe if you driven a similar route in the area you'd have an idea of how long we'd need to drive? Or maybe (most importantly, I am wondering) you know about a place that we should put on our route to check out that might be interesting?

I've figured out and completed major road trip expeditions before, so when we get closer to putting dates down I can crunch the actual miles vs time then, but I just was wondering a rough idea plus love hidden gems to sight see.

Thanks!
Be careful, don't antagonize the believers.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
23-04-2012, 06:44 PM
Please come to Mississippi obviously Smile
23-04-2012, 06:47 PM
(23-04-2012 06:41 PM)Chas Wrote:  Be careful, don't antagonize the believers.
Definitely this ^^!

There are some really crazy people out there.... and some aren't afraid of breaking the law, as they know the law will look the other way.
[+] 1 user Likes elemts's post
23-04-2012, 06:52 PM
Thanks for the tips!

Yeah, we'd totally be up for some ghost tours and supernatural, voodoo stuff as well!

I expect to be an outsider everywhere we go. We are just on holidays and passing through town, looking for a service to attend while we stay briefly Smile That's our story. Except I think we will stick out as more eccentric types maybe Confused We get extra tourist point for always having the cameras Big Grin . I imagine we'd have to keep them in tucked away at services though. I kind of expected West Borrow to be closed to others. Boo! Are there any large churches, like televised ones? Elemts, what state is that church that has the contemporary and modern service you were talking about? I'm getting excited! Won't be for awhile though, hoping for in about 12-18 months.

I'll report back, with pics, what we found and what our experience was like. Big Grin Kim, maybe we'd make the next year reason rally! If it's annual? We'd be up for meeting any regular TTA members for a drink or coffee, too. Just not Egor (don't know where he's from, but just saying) he scares me. lol.